Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2012, 13:15   #1
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
Turtle meat

I know turtle is legally butchered and served in the Cayman Islands but has anyone been there in a yacht and bought it from butcher shops to cook on board? Is it available? Expensive?
Old 27-07-2012, 13:30   #2

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Turtle meat

We have never bought any but traded for some with the fishermen/farmers, of turtle! they like fresh tuna so we traded ! it's good meat if ya like it and we do !! but then we get turtle meat here in Louisiana so we are used to it ! and like it ! We would buy it anytime we can get !! Just our 2 cents
Old 27-07-2012, 14:54   #3

Boat: 48' Hi Star

I can't believe people are actually slaughtering these highly endangered animals. There are heavy fines here in Florda for even disturbing a turtle nest on the beach. Why even think of supporting the killing of sea turtles???
Old 27-07-2012, 15:27   #4

Boat: Beneteau 393

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
We have never bought any but traded for some with the fishermen/farmers, of turtle! they like fresh tuna so we traded ! it's good meat if ya like it and we do !! but then we get turtle meat here in Louisiana so we are used to it ! and like it ! We would buy it anytime we can get !! Just our 2 cents
First time I had turtle was at the Commander's Palace in N.O.- so good! I miss that restaurant!

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 15:29   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorgal View Post
I can't believe people are actually slaughtering these highly endangered animals. There are heavy fines here in Florda for even disturbing a turtle nest on the beach. Why even think of supporting the killing of sea turtles???
Not all turtles are legal to eat, but there are plenty that ARE. They are not all endangered, just certain species. Turtle soup w/ Sherry is awesome.
Old 27-07-2012, 17:00   #6

Boat: Pearson Ariel 26, Pearson 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorgal View Post
They are farmed sea turtles in the Caymans..
RicknSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 17:40   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Maybe someone would like to look up which turtle species are endangered and which are not endangered, legal to eat and where they are legal to eat?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 17:50   #8

some more info on the cayman farm - they are actively releasing them annually as well as the harvest
Cayman Turtle Farm | Colorful Marine Life
Old 27-07-2012, 17:59   #9

Janet , when we lived there(a few years back), although legal and served, I don't really remember if it was available to buy at the supermarket( never really looked for it)..BTW..butcher shop ..Caymans..not so much (nothing to butcher)..LOL ..most meat comes from Miami overnight..maybe the link I posted can give you more info.. In spite of some poeple's opinions, the Caymanians are very concerned about the turtles, hence the farm, and the release program..much like a lot of hunters in North America supporting the wildlife..
Old 27-07-2012, 18:28   #10

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Come on folks, ALL of the turtle meat used in USA is farm raised!! a lot of it here in Louisiana!! Many many different types of fresh water turtles are pond rasied and cked by the proper fedral depts that ck to be sure they are safe to eat !! The stuff in the Caymans to raised the same way ! I dont know who or if anyone cks it ! but with most meat if ya COOK it it's safe !! just my 2 cents
Old 27-07-2012, 18:57   #11

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Wild sea turtles are the threatened ones -- the Hawksbill, Atlantic (Kemp's) or Pacific Ridley, Leatherback, Loggerhead, and less so the Greens.
Old 27-07-2012, 23:45   #12

Boat: Tartan 30

I've had turtle meat in Louisiana in the form of turtle soup. It's wonderful. But for those wanting to buy it (janet!) you should understand that there are 7 different types of meat in a turtle, and only 2 or 3 of them are actually good (as in, tasty) to eat. buying generic "turtle meat" is a win/lose situation if you don't know what you're getting.
Old 28-07-2012, 06:05   #13
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Some of our local friends here cook Hawksbill turtle whenever they can catch one. We've had it a few times. Delicious.

I did have a problem with their fishing methods, though. After the first time they invited us over to try some, they told me they actually stabbed holes in seven turtles before they got this one in the boat. They were using a piece of steel rebar hose lashed to a long wooden pole. I think they must have seen Moby Dick or something.

knowing I don't have a chance of talking them out of eating turtle ( or iguana either for that matter) I told them an easy way to make a spear with a barb on it so they wouldn't have to keep jabbing holes in turtles and then having them dive and get away. Most likely to die later from injuries.
Old 28-07-2012, 14:03   #14

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Fresh or salt water turtle is delicious. The first time I ate it was in Mazatlan in a seaside restaurant that served it in their paella. It is also good in soup although a bit chewy. There was a incorrigible "fish beggar" in Bimini, who has since died, that would take any fish-rough or delicate for his freezer. I saw him once with a sea turtle's head and asked him how he was going to prepare it. He said they boiled it in a soup and removed everything inside the head. I then asked how they catch the turtles and he said the locals cruise in a skiff and when they spot one try to jump on its back and ride it until it drowns. We also found the evidence of locals on Chubb Cay who took their dogs to the beach at night(south side) and dug up turtle eggs to eat. For people who live in "developed" countries, this may seem cruel. Especially if the species is endangered. However, those people who live in "undeveloped" countries worldwide have a closer connection to nature by necessity and live in cultures with long standing traditions of living off the land and sea. The conflict between us and them is equally painful for both sides since a compromise is rarely reached. Our human existence dates back over 5 million years to our earliest ancestors and we became who we were by being omnivores--the flesh of fish, amphibians, insects and mammals were consumed when available.
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 14:42   #15

Boat: never wrecked a boat while awake or sober

It is regularly on the menu in Grenada.
Good with carib
bruce smith is offline   Reply With Quote