Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2016, 09:50   #121

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: Using an Electric Tea Kettle to Save Propane ?

I apologize in advance that I didn't read the entire thread.
This response is directed entirely at the OP...

We use an electric hot plate to save propane, when at the dock.
I realize you were asking about a tea kettle, but the concept is the same.
It doesn't matter if we are at the dock or away from it, we use the same Faberware percolating coffee pot for both coffee and hot water.
If we are making hot water we just leave the tube and basket out of the coffee maker.
The nice thing about the hot plate is that we are not restricted to hot water when using it.
We do most of our cooking with it when on shore power.

Hope that is useful somehow
oblivionboyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 04:56   #122

I read through all of the responses and while orthogonal to the original, I only saw one mention of cold brewing coffee. I drink almost all coffee iced and 95% of what I brew at home is cold brewed. Making cold brew is simple, just use a quart container and 70 grams of coffee or so. Give them two shakes or stirs, 15 minutes apart to make the coffee sink, then put aside or refrigerate until the next day. Filter the coffee. People do this with French presses, just plunge the coffee the next day. Unless you refrigerate it, it can go bad, just like tea can, so I would not suggest keeping it more than a day.

Even if you like hot coffee, you can cut the concentrate with 1 part water to 2 parts coffee or one part water to one part coffee. Then you can heat the result to your drinking temperature, which for many is as low as 120F.

At this ratio, (70gm to 1 liter) the coffee comes out strong and much less bitter than when made by other methods. At home I use a Japanese glass pot that contains the grounds in a plastic basket with fine nylon mesh. But on a boat I would likely crack a plastic bottle of water and add ground coffee, then seal it back up. If I had ice in a cooler or a fridge it would come from and go back in there.

Suddenly my boiling water problem is solved. But even if you like hot coffee, try this.
Brasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 08:26   #123

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasshopper View Post

(...)

Making cold brew is simple, just use a quart container and 70 grams of coffee or so. Give them two shakes or stirs, 15 minutes apart to make the coffee sink, then put aside or refrigerate until the next day. Filter the coffee. People do this with French presses, just plunge the coffee the next day.

(...)
Huh!

I have learned something today. Would you believe I have never heard of this method till NOW. And I am not a teenager anymore ... ;-)

Thanks for sharing! Off to experiment some now!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, propane