Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2014, 06:56   #16

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
The plastic containers designed for vacuum sealing have a bad rep for cracking. I know they're a lot of people that don't want glass on thier boat but I found mason jars to be pretty rugged and very reasonably priced and its just cool to lift the lid and hear the air sucking in. The proof that they work is when you open a jar full of chips that are over a month or two old and they're still like new. And unlike the bags I've had 0 failures once I achieved a good seal. The trick is to clean the top of the jar and the seal of the lid with a damp cloth. And make sure the jars are American made the one's from China are more fragile
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:24   #17

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Vacuum Food Containers

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveforsail View Post
Hi

Thanks for all the input, but I am looking for advise on some containers that can be vacuum sealed in order to for instance seal some salad of things that does not want to be crushed by the plastic bag?
No direct experience, but I know Foodsaver sells some.
Old 20-05-2014, 00:21   #18

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

I have a Foodsaver vacuum sealer and it came with several canisters. A land-based friend told me she used these type vac-seal canisters to keep lettuce crisp for up to a month. In 8 years of cruising I never used any of the canisters because thought these would take up too much fridge space. When we were leaving Turkey last month I stocked up on as much fresh produce as possible since it is often limited in the Greek islands. I used 2 of the vac-seal canisters to store fresh strawberries. Three weeks later those strawberries were just as fresh as the day I washed, removed stems and vacuum sealed into those canisters.

Definitely will be using these canisters in the future to keep veggies and fruit fresh for times when I know we will not have easy access to more for a few weeks. And really did not take up nearly as much fridge space as I had feared.

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 02:47   #19

Boat: 1986 CS 30
Send a message via Yahoo to Hank Kivett

You might want to look at Reynolds Alum...they make a battery operated vac pump and its outstanding...runs off AA and the bags are excellent....I have had mine for over a year and cant say enough about it...I got mine at Walmart...I too have the hand pump but found it not that great on keeping sealed.
Hank Kivett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 08:36   #20

Going to give them a go
liveforsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 17:24   #21

Boat: 1986 CS 30
Send a message via Yahoo to Hank Kivett

I have own a food savers vac systems for years but being on the boat and looking for ways to reduce the drain on battery's I have found a hand held battery operated vac pump from Rynmolds Alum which also has the resuable bags (not sure if the Zip Lock Vac bags will work or not) and takes up 90% less space. Now for the bad news...Rynolds is discontuning it but there are some still out there so if that fits your needs better hurry. I did read a report that the Food Savers hand held battery operated pump was not all that good...but thats just what i read...
Hank Kivett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food