Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2022, 13:29   #16
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Washer/Dryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Technically a heat pump dryer is a type of condensing dryer, as it still condenses the moisture and discharges it as liquid. It's just a more efficient method of heating the clothes and condensing the water than some others.
The website he uses clearly lists heat pump dryers as well so he’s just a troll: https://www.currys.co.uk/appliances/.../tumble-dryers

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 23:07   #17

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

This seemed to work for me for 3 years.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2022, 07:53   #18

Boat: EuroShipServices Luxemotor 22m

I have a 2008 Bosch cold fill washing machine, due to EU stupidity and energy stuff. I use an adustable TMV and a couple of solenoid valves to allow hot fill from calorifier and cold rinse. Using engine heated etc calorifier hot water means a full wash is 100wh and the heater hasn't cut in in 14 years.
Also have matching condenser dryer. Uses no cold water condensing and there is just a condensate drain from the air to air heat exchanger into the WM discharge pipe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hotfill.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	398.2 KB
ID:	263099  
Colin Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2022, 08:07   #19

Boat: EuroShipServices Luxemotor 22m

And this is the dryer heat exchanger
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220819_170146.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	392.5 KB
ID:	263104  
Colin Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2022, 09:21   #20

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

Our trawler came with an apartment size washer & dryer. We ditched the dryer because it took forever to dry and used a lot of power. I now hang our clothes out on deck. My husband built drawers in the space of the dryer.
Old 19-08-2022, 09:29   #21
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Stone View Post
And this is the dryer heat exchanger
Yes, that is the main stream EU condensing dryer. It uses much more energy than the heat pump models, they are not an option for the inverter/lithium equipped boats (heat pump models are the way to go but cost 2-3 times as much)

The non-vented washer/dryer combi machines don’t have that, they use an air to water heat exchanger, consuming fresh water and are totally unusable for any boat. I know because I tossed one in the dumpster

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2022, 11:21   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Roberts V495

We used a Splendide for 6 years offshore, was still going strong when we sold boat; ours did have a stainless drum.
Was a vented dryer, but used dryer function perhaps twice - hanging out on lifelines was faster……..unit did a great job on high speed spin.
nofacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2022, 13:38   #23

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Here's another comparison of some options, including manual washer, auto washer/dryer with/without venting options.

Old 19-08-2022, 14:09   #24

Boat: Florida Coaster 42’

Non vented dryers are a waste of time for sheets and towels, at best they will dry smaller items unless you are where it is at all humid. My last three boats and a motor home have all had vented electric dryers that run off shore power or generator. C’est la vie!
timb7734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2022, 14:18   #25

Done this in Swan 46. Boat was a bit big for many med marinas so 54 could be a challenge. Washer and dryer: save space and use local laundry service. Much nicer to hand over the dirty clothes and get them back clean and folded. You will learn the value of storage space!
svkatface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2022, 14:27   #26

Yes please - me want!!!

Personslly I want a tiny wall hung one (daewoo), just big enough for a double bed sheet. I have no need for a dryer. But if I had the space for a larger washer, I most certainly would have splurged out for a quiet one - and ofcourse, get a washer/dryer combo.

I don't enjoy washing clothes at home or running to a laundromat - why would this all of a sudden become more enjoyable while living on a boat?

Why even think about it? You know you NEED it!
Gard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2022, 19:15   #27

We have a Splendine combo vented. Using for 4 years. Happy wife happy life.
jimellifritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2022, 02:07   #28

Cool Re: Washer/Dryer

We have a wide bodied Spray40C with a washing machine, a Samsung Eco Bubble, bought in Europe (Spain). Around 450 Euros, an ordinary household machine that runs on 220-240 V and takes about 8 kg. It discharges its water directly overboard with its own hull dispenser. We start the engine to do some washing. It is heavy, and we have created a separate tight fitting locker (located as central as possible) to accommodate the machine. Once it was in, we made a threshold so that she does not walk out when centrifuging. Its door opens into the shower space. No dryer, that really is not needed, just hang outside or under your bimini or even inside when you are in heavy rain squalls. The Samsung consumes at most 1000 W, and although manufacturers say otherwise, you do no harm when you fill it with outside fresh water using the soap dispenser as an entry. Equally if you have a lot of hot water, just feed it in through the dispenser (i.e. when you are running on engine and generate a lot of hot water). We have even filled it with (fresh) river water, hanging a hose overboard and sucking it up until at the washing machine level. All you need to do is the following: take the manual, and select a good program that you will normally be using (i.e. daily wash with temperature to be selected accommodates all normal washing). Run a normal wash. Whenever the machine starts asking for water (you hear it and you see a pictogram on the display) you clock the time and write it down in the manual, you also note till what level the water rises. There are about 3-4 times during a washing cycle when water fill is necessary. So, whenever you wash, you stay near the machine. When it asks for water, you add manually the hose that hangs in the river. That's all, free and easy. When you are washing in a marina or at anchor, you just use the normal on board water supply and you do not need to look at the machine at all. For us, having a good solid washing machine on board made all the difference in the world, and allowed us to stay at remote anchorages or on the go for as much as 7 months at a time. Collecting rainwater with a proper collection system helps/is necessary. Our machine is now 7 years old and functioning happily, it never gave a single problem. Good luck!
SunnySpray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2022, 07:53   #29

Boat: DeFever 50 CMY

Lived and cruised full time for 6 years - often remote; mostly anchoring out. LOVED my full size washer and full size dryer on board. Zero issues. My friends with the combo units hated them as dryers were worthless....but still better than washing in a bucket...........
Old 21-08-2022, 21:36   #30

Boat: Bruckmann 50 MK II

Miele separate washer and dryer. Works perfectly. No more laundromats.
Scrosby is offline   Reply With Quote