Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2020, 00:42   #136

Re: Weber Q1200 Grill on a boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Weber Q1200 Grill on a boat

It seems as though Magma Grills is getting a bit of competition from Weber Grills.

We have been seeing these Weber Q1200 grills on a lot of boats for a few years now.

We have used one of these at home for many years ourselves and really love it.

Lots of ways to mount them on a boat

Mounted the Weber Q1200 to our 1” stern rail.
Used the Magma Dual Extended Horizontal Round Rail Mounts. This mounting makes it rock solid.

The Weber Q1200 was $140
The Magma rail mount was $90

We will add a cutting and serving table on the side made from starboard.
Hi

Thanks for the post and information.
I'm thinking of getting the same set-up you have.
How did you fix the Weber to the magma rail? I couldn't see any bolts or fixings in the pictures

Thanks
Colm
Colmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 05:56   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by robboa View Post
Despite efforts, couldnt get in contaact with these guys, may have gone out of business... shame look like great clamps.
Hi Robboa, you can buy the mounts from The 12 Volts Shop in Perth. Very good brackets, installed them about 4 years ago holding our Webber Q on 32mm rail.
rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 00:34   #138
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

On Post 136 I explained my desire, as a liveaboard, to be able to BBQ on the Webber in all weather conditions.

We got a good test today as Tropical Storm JANGMI and another developing Depression brought heavier than expected rain bands and 40 knot winds to my Sunday BBQ.

Can't praise enough, about how well the Webber handles wind gusts and rain bands on the beam during the 35 minutes to cook the chicken quarters.

Also love the practically of a working BBQ table aft when things get lively.

Anyway, these pictures tell the story Click image for larger version

Name:	20200809_133341.jpeg
Views:	181
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	220939Click image for larger version

Name:	20200809_133601.jpeg
Views:	172
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	220940Click image for larger version

Name:	20200809_133607.jpeg
Views:	187
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	220941Click image for larger version

Name:	20200809_133922.jpeg
Views:	222
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	220942Click image for larger version

Name:	20200809_140252.jpeg
Views:	238
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	220943
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 11:35   #139

Boat: 2015 Fountaine Pajot Helia 44

Has anybody mounted a Q2200 model? Thinking the Alzone or Magma mounts aren't going to work as the larger model seems to be a bit deeper.

I currently have a larger Magma and really would prefer not to downsize to the smaller Q.
JimmyJames303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 20:55   #140

Alone will cut the rail to custom length.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:25   #141

Boat: 2015 Fountaine Pajot Helia 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocks View Post
Alone will cut the rail to custom length.
Problem is I've messaged them through the website as well as emailed their sales alias and nobody will respond to me. I'm in USVI so maybe they just aren't interested in the international business? I saw 12V shop was selling them online as well but not sure if they ship international. So looking at other alternatives...
JimmyJames303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 17:37   #142

Give The 12v Shop a go. I have also used them for cable.
Old 19-10-2021, 19:04   #143

Hello all, I saw this older post about Weber grills and thought I would show how I mounted a larger Weber Q2200 grill to my pontoon boat. I had a custom fillet table made by the folks at the custom fillet tables website and mounted it using a kuuma quick mount rail bracket to my ski tow bar. I did add what I would call a kickstand using parts from lowes to ensure the kuuma mount wouldn’t spin around the ski mount rail because the Weber Q2200 is really heavy. I don’t get underway with this setup, but it only takes about 5 minutes to set up when needed. I used this setup all season with no issues even during a few rough days at anchor on the Potomac and never once did the wind blow out the flame on the grill.

Cheers!

Click image for larger version

Name:	93779D44-4255-47FF-961F-9CA8E75E2204.jpeg
Views:	369
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	247090

Name:	714C76D0-20BA-40CF-BC4B-82BE1C2C7C58.jpeg
Views:	183
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	247091

Name:	0191FD91-5D8B-4936-A4E7-142FE5BAC23B.jpeg
Views:	272
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	247092
mdmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 07:49   #144

Hi there, I currently have a Dickenson Sea-B-Q (small) and I too have to replace the burner every year, though other than that I do like the grill. I've been eyeballing the Weber as a possible replacement, curious how your experience has been now that it's been a couple of years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copacabana View Post
I just got my Weber Q-1000 on Saturday. After reading all the positive reviews here, I decided to buy one to use at home (and eventually on the boat when my new Dickinson wears out). I must say, there’s a lot to like. First of all, the BBQ seems very solidly constructed and durable. The cooking area is considerably bigger than the Dickinson. With the exception of a few screws, there is nothing on the BBQ to rust or corrode. I really like the bottom part that channels any fat directly and quickly into the grease dish. The Dickinson has one too, but it is not as efficient and it can flare up when cooking fatty meats. The Weber is also much easier to clean. The grill is nice heavy cast iron with a glazed coating that is easy to clean and the bottom part can be cleaned without having to remove the burner. I have used it twice and I have found the temperature range is terrific for both searing and slower cooking. Perhaps the only thing I can find that could be improved is the matt finish powder coating of the aluminum base and lid. A glossy coating would make cleaning much easier.

I’ve been a big fan of the Dickinson Sea-B-Q for years (on my second one and still have the first one- no rust at all!), but I have had to replace the burner on it every year or so due to corrosion. I’m hoping the Weber doesn’t have this problem. I think the burner will last longer on the Weber due to the fact that it is protected by the grill and no fat can drip directly on the burner. I’d love to hear from long time users about the longevity of the burner.

A final observation- it’s a pretty big BBQ and it will take up considerable space on the rail (or wherever it is mounted), so smaller boats may find this a challenge. Otherwise, it could very well be the ideal boat BBQ!
r.stokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 08:31   #145

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.stokes View Post
Hi there, I currently have a Dickenson Sea-B-Q (small) and I too have to replace the burner every year, though other than that I do like the grill. I've been eyeballing the Weber as a possible replacement, curious how your experience has been now that it's been a couple of years?
Hi r.stokes. Well, I just replaced the burner for the first time a month ago, so I would say they last longer than Dickinson burners. I found third-party (Chinese) replacement burners for the Weber on Amazon in Canada for CDN 22.00 and bought 2 of them. This is much less than the cost of the Dickinson burner (which is over CDN 50.00).

I like the Weber, but I do see some problems using it on a smaller boat (which the Sea-B-Q is perfect for). I use the Weber at home and my SEA-B-Q on the boat (which I love). For me, the biggest plus of the Weber is how easy it is to clean compared to the Dickinson.

BTW, Dickinson burners have a warranty (2 years, I think). They are very good about honoring the warranty with no hassles. I had one rust out in under a year and complained. They asked for some photos and sent me another one with no questions asked (or invoice!). I like the company and they stand behind their products (in my experience).

Have you thought bout how to mount the Weber on your boat?
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 04:48   #146

I wanted to chime in and give props to the Weber Q1200. After seeing discussions of same, and mentally masturbating as to whether we were sick enough of the mediocre performance of our Magma Cabo and before it the Magma Kettle to give it a try, we bought a Weber.

Dunno how long it will last, but it is a revelation to actually be able to sear a steak. We remove the lid and nest it for storage. The pins make that a doddle. May be a bit heavier. Although the case is aluminium the grates are cast/porcelain coated. Which likely is one of the things which gives such improvement over the same-old. That, and the narrower openings in the grill grid keep your food from falling through.

If, like us, you are thinking about getting away from the same old marine bbq merde, maybe give the Weber Q a serious go
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 09:39   #147

Boat: VIA Marine 42

One for the anal, total custom, deconstructionist crowd. I have an aluminum sailboat and learned how to weld and fab AL parts with woodworking tools. This is the Q1000 model. Works way better than Magma kettle which had two settings: hot and grease fire. Eventually rusted out.
I never came up with a way to attached existing grease pan and just forced a square foil cake pan underneath. I used copper sheet control cover because I had it. One downside is I had to use 1/4" valve gas hose fittings from propane tank box to fit and I think I am not getting full flow. Flame is about 1/8" at max setting, but cooks well despite. Wind easily blows out flame. Next up are baffles on sides. Haven't figured out a starter housing thing either.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Q1000.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	440.2 KB
ID:	271328   Click image for larger version

Name:	Q10002.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	449.7 KB
ID:	271329  

Les Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2023, 18:39   #148
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

I have the Weber and like it so far. It has a replaceable drip pan. As for mounting I made a SS TRAY table for it to sit in. The lip is about an inch high. Then drilled vertically through the feet and the tray and secured the grill to the tray with bolts with small washers on the top. The tray has three square pieces of SS TUBING welded on that fit into one socket on the rail. I can vary how much the grill sticks outboard by varying which square I put into the socket from hanging almost completely outboard to hanging with the back of the grill just inboard. The socket is mounted to a horizontal rung on my arch which is made from 2 inch thick wall SS tubing Tray is fairly heavy gauge steel with stiffeners of SS angle iron on the bottom. this lets me remove the whole thing as a unit and take below or to the beach. Changing from inboard to outboard position is a matter of pulling one pin and shifting. Takes about 20 seconds. Had a kitchen counter guy that fabricates SS counters for schools and restaurants make me the tray.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2023, 21:35   #149

Boat: Bavaria 35E

I will never, ever, ever, waste money on a Magma again. They are the most overrated, overpriced marine product to have cornered the market. May they swiftly come off their perch and never be heard from again!
nightowle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2023, 06:27   #150

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Wow. The thread that keeps on giving. I think this is what convinced me to buy a Weber back in 2018. I love all the different mounting designs. Mine is just bolted to the top of one of those plastic patio cabinets, which in turn is bolted to the rail. I, too, am extremely disappointed with Magma grills. The Weber has been great so far.

The one thing I want to add is an annoying quirk which took me a while to figure out.

The Weber has a "safety" feature which reduces the gas flow if a pressure drop is detected. Like if you accidentally turn on the grill before opening the gas valve or screwing on the gas tank. Or a number of other things.

Supposedly this is to protect you if there's a leak in the hose. But oddly, it doesn't shut the gas off, just turns the gas down. So I suppose if there really were a leak, this would give you a couple of extra minutes to live. I don't understand their logic.

The grill will still light, and appear to work normally. You might not notice this "feature" has been triggered until you find your food is cooking slowly. Even then, you might blame the wind, or running out of gas, or plugged up gas jets, or whatever.

Once you know, there is a very specific procedure to reset the grill to normal functioning. I think it involves standing on one foot, pointing in a certain cardinal direction and counting to 100 or something like that. I have it written down on a piece of paper in the grill cabinet.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Grill