Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2016, 10:22   #16

Boat: Hunter 26.5 (for now <grin>)
Re: Weber Q1200 Grill on a boat

While I have yet to mount mine to my boat, I can say a couple of things about the little Weber grill since I have used mine for over 3 years now..

I don't suspect there will be a problem with flame blow out on a boat, since I routinely take mine to the beach which means 10 to 20 mph winds regularly.. Even less of a problem if you cook with the cover closed which I normally do.. It does not get as hot inside in high winds but always plenty hot to cook on..

It does have a drain pan and disposable aluminum foil trays to catch drippings.. I dump some sand in the tray to keep in in place on the more windy days which also makes it a little easier to clean.

I use the 1lb propane bottles when I want maximum portability (i.e. going to the beach), but I mostly use it with a hose connected to my 20lb propane tank..

While corrosion has not been a problem for me since it is mostly constructed of plastic and aluminum, I can see you will have to replace the burner every so often as it does rust.. I have had mine in high to medium high use, and my burner has at least another 5 years left in it..

I really love the porcelain covered grill as it cleans up well and doesn't rust as does the stainless steel grates in just about every other grill I have owned.. I do have a couple of spots where the porcelain has burnt through and the metal grill is starting to rust underneath, but I suspect the grate will have at least another 5 or more years before I would even think of having to replace it..

I do like how the two side trays fold up into the unit once everything has cooled down..

The only downside to the little Weber of which I can think is the lack a latch to securely keep the cover closed.. This isn't a major deal since a latch could be attached easy enough..

flk k
liveaboard60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:35   #17

Boat: L42

The thing I like most about the Baby Weber is the fact that you can actually turn the burner down to low and its actually a true low setting. All the other small grills I have used continue to be really hot even when on low.
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:52   #18

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Weber Q1200 Grill on a boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Mark,
Does it stay lit better than a Magma?
The Weber Q1200 stays lit. Have not had any issue.

It also has a nice large Temp Gage on it that you can see the cook temp from across the cockpit.

My round Magma boat grill had blow out issues until I added the Wind Disk, then we never had a blow out.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 13:14   #19

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

HaHa... Five years ago I started using an old Char Broil until I could buy a good grill... Shop Char-Broil 11,000-BTU 187-sq in Portable Gas Grill at Lowes.com. I haven't had any problems with performance or rusting. Keep forgetting to buy a new grill...
Old 05-10-2016, 15:15   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

The burner is stainless steel and ours is surviving just fine after nearly two years - and wa second hand when we bought it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosiersailor View Post
Isn't rust and corrosion a problem?
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 15:17   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

That odd, our burner tube is stainless steel and is still 100% - we do use it a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveaboard60 View Post
While I have yet to mount mine to my boat, I can say a couple of things about the little Weber grill since I have used mine for over 3 years now..

I don't suspect there will be a problem with flame blow out on a boat, since I routinely take mine to the beach which means 10 to 20 mph winds regularly.. Even less of a problem if you cook with the cover closed which I normally do.. It does not get as hot inside in high winds but always plenty hot to cook on..

It does have a drain pan and disposable aluminum foil trays to catch drippings.. I dump some sand in the tray to keep in in place on the more windy days which also makes it a little easier to clean.

I use the 1lb propane bottles when I want maximum portability (i.e. going to the beach), but I mostly use it with a hose connected to my 20lb propane tank..

While corrosion has not been a problem for me since it is mostly constructed of plastic and aluminum, I can see you will have to replace the burner every so often as it does rust.. I have had mine in high to medium high use, and my burner has at least another 5 years left in it..

I really love the porcelain covered grill as it cleans up well and doesn't rust as does the stainless steel grates in just about every other grill I have owned.. I do have a couple of spots where the porcelain has burnt through and the metal grill is starting to rust underneath, but I suspect the grate will have at least another 5 or more years before I would even think of having to replace it..

I do like how the two side trays fold up into the unit once everything has cooled down..

The only downside to the little Weber of which I can think is the lack a latch to securely keep the cover closed.. This isn't a major deal since a latch could be attached easy enough..

flk k
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 16:59   #22

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Thanks for this, thread, one question is there enough room to bake a loaf of bread?

Sent from my STUDIO 5.5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 17:04   #23

Boat: Knight & Carver 75'

We run our Weber Q off a rail on our flybridge and it seems like every time we use it the wind increases to over 20Knots but its never caused a problem and stayed lit. Then the results, especially with pork are outstanding.
Old 05-10-2016, 17:06   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterLIA View Post
We run our Weber Q off a rail on our flybridge and it seems like every time we use it the wind increases to over 20Knots but its never caused a problem and stayed lit. Then the results, especially with pork are outstanding.

If it will stay lit, I'm buying one, I get tired of watching the Magma and realizing it's gone out.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 17:25   #25

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Weber Q1200 Grill on a boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Thanks for this, thread, one question is there enough room to bake a loaf of bread?
It sure is big enough to bake a loaf of bread.

The Weber has 189 square inches of cooking surface.
Can grill 8 good size burgers
12 hot dogs or brats
6 large pork chops
6 large ears of corn
16-inch pizza

The grill frame is heat resistant; glass reinforced nylon for strength, but also keeps the overall grill weight lighter for easy portability.

The single Stainless Steel burner inside will not corrode and kicks out 8.500 BTU’s of heat per hour.

It comes with two (2) porcelain-coated cast iron cooking grates that provide a superior non-stick surface when grilling
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Weber Q1200.jpg
Views:	1572
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	132387   Click image for larger version

Name:	Weber Q1200_colors.jpg
Views:	620
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	132388  

Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 20:05   #26

Boat: Hunter 25, Santana 20, Hallberg RASSY 33 " Mistral" San Juan 21 MKI

Cotemar, thank you for the idea, just ordered on Amazon, 199.00 delivered. Was in the market, didn't have much luck with the others mentioned.

We have this model on the deck, and it works well. Gonna need another for my lake cruiser, later this year. I love these threads, makes making informed choices much easier.

Thank you again.
Dirk
Dirk Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 20:36   #27

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder

Best thing we ever did was toss our marine bbq and put a Weber on board, 3 years now, no problems, never goes out and cooks awesome food too!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1475984164.261852.jpg
Views:	1129
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	132578

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 07:32   #28

Boat: Hunter 25, Santana 20, Hallberg RASSY 33 " Mistral" San Juan 21 MKI

My 1200 arrived earlier this week. Seems heavy, in fact my concern is weight high on my stern rail. That high weight translate to stress on the deck plates, for the rails.

I had planned initially to keep the 1200 stowed on the rail. I'm going to have to re think this now. Perhaps the rail mount, and stow the 1200 Below deck.

Any observations

Dirk
Dirk Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 07:54   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Do they come with the covers I see you guys have, or is that bought separately?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 10:31   #30

Boat: Hunter 26.5 (for now <grin>)

The cover I had for mine was purchased separately.. If you remove the grate from the unit, it will reduce the weight a lot.. But mine doesn't seem to weigh more than the grill which came with my boat.. flk k
liveaboard60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Grill