Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2021, 10:32   #31

Boat: Privilege 39+2'
Re: What foods you miss and cant find while cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post

The one exception was perhaps Cornish pasties and this I dealt with by the boat rule which said: if we see anything that looks like a cornish pasty, we buy one and give it a try. I only enjoyed one real/good cornish pasty on our travels, but it did lead to my sampling some very interestingly flavoured street food over the years.

Edit: How remiss of me; Lesley's just reminded me of the 'proper' English tea bags we've shipped all over the world - I barely touch the stuff, but on any visit back to see the family, we'd return with a fresh supply for Les plus some for other Brits in the area who'd asked; I think our record was in taking thirty boxes (>7000 teabags) across to Curacao.
Yes we used to make pasties when I was young, they were regarded as a big family treat. My wife is an English tea addict and has to have her Tetley or PG Tibs so I do have to figure that one out.
SV_FlyingTigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 10:33   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
I gotta go with the meat pies..for the life of me I don't know why this delicacy is not to be found abroad in many places.

I've spent long hours experimenting with my own home made meat pie creations, but alas, have yet to create a suitable substitute...
Yeah, my UK meat pies just are not what I had in pubs and restaurants. I THINK it is because the recipes use minced lamb or mutton which is hard for me to get.

I like this channel, I can just listen to her talk and count how many times she says, wee.

Never watched the channel before but I guess I will have too since it is the Wee Larder,

This is the retired cook's recipe for Scottish meat pies.,

Found this guy who might be or was a butcher. I was curious how white pudding was made and it does not have chalk as I was told by a server in Ireland.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 10:34   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueH2Obound View Post
Where is this? No bacon? I can cut THAT part of the chart out . . .
I kind of imagined pork would be pretty commonly available... tell me more...
Old 01-09-2021, 10:52   #34

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx

Beef jerky & flour tortillas. Both should be vacuum packed for safety.
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 11:04   #35

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
The one exception was perhaps Cornish pasties and this I dealt with by the boat rule which said: if we see anything that looks like a cornish pasty, we buy one and give it a try. I only enjoyed one real/good cornish pasty on our travels, but it did lead to my sampling some very interestingly flavoured street food over the years.
I've gotten really good pumpkin curry pasties on Tortola (BVI). I'm told they originally became popular among the field workers as a lunch you could wrap in a handkerchief and take with you in your pocket.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 11:11   #36

It looks like (per ) that lower sugar hot sauces freeze dry and reconstitute well, so I am going to try some chipotle cholula. That stuff is hard to find in the US much less abroad...
Old 01-09-2021, 14:29   #37

Boat: Dix 43 HD

Years ago when wandering the globe it was often crunchy or cold that was missing. For instance no cold drinks or ice cream but also often no crunchy fruit such as apples. Cold not such a problem anymore but crunchy can be

Wayne
Grattaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 14:37   #38

Custard squares
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 15:17   #39

Masala dosa, idli sambhar, ajlouke, banh xeo, goi cuon…

And it’s hard to source the ingredients to make these myself

As for pasties, give me Jamaican meat pies any day…
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 16:41   #40

Boat: adams 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJHC View Post
Vegemite.
NO NO NO ...it has to be.....Marmite!!!!!!!!!!:thum b:

And it has to be the proper english stuff not that ghastly substitute they flog in Australia, presumably to keep sales of the V-MUCK high.
qwert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 18:25   #41
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

ok...I got one...no sailor should be without it...especially those from south of the equator....

it's called "Biltong"....it's a South African variety of American beef jerky...only a 1,000 times better, nay make that 10,000. Biltong is spiced dried meat, and it's a staple down there, and every farmer or butcher has his own recipe...it can be made from beef....game...ostriches, and everything in between. It's practically sold on any and every street corner.

Once you eat one piece, you can't stop until your entire supply is gone.
For the life of me, I don't understand why it is not available elsewhere.

I've learned to make it myself, but like my pies, I can say it's good, but not quite up to snuff.

To all sailors that have tried this.....y'all will unnerstand what I'm talkin' about.

Don't leave home without it...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 19:38   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post

As for pasties, give me Jamaican meat pies any day…
Yes!

Love Jamaican meat pies and I can buy them locally from time to time. As well as Empanadas. However, I would not put HP sauce on Jamaican meat pies or Empanadas.

Later,
Dan
Old 01-09-2021, 20:00   #43

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_MO View Post
Hi All, I am doing some meal planning while in the US and would like to hear from you regarding what foods you miss and wish you could get while cruising but have a hard time finding

> Sea of Cortez >

what would you stock up on to have that occasional taste of home?

Thanks,
Stephen
We spend winter and spring on the Sea of Cortez. Fresh foods are plentiful in Mexico. Usually there are supermarkets with most of what we need.

What you need depends on your habits and diet. I never use peanut butter, so don't know if it is available. Same with breakfast cereals and boxed mac & cheese.

Bread in Mexico is almost entirely white bread like the old wonder bread; nearly inedible. Even rolls and specialty breads are the same stuff. But good bread flour is readily available.

The genetically-modified grains are outlawed in Mexico so only good foods are available.

Lamb and turkey are difficult to find. Bacon is scarce and expensive. Everyone uses margarine and butter is available but not mainstream. Pork is plentiful and Mexican beef is as good as it gets. Goat is sometimes available. Chicken is abundant. Good olive oil is usually available. Vegetables and citrus are fresh and available. Cheddar, Swiss, Blue, and Brie are hard to find but fresh cheeses are always available.

There's a joke that during the first wave of the pandemic, the US ran out of toilet paper and Mexico ran out of beer. (Beer was deemed unnecessary during the shut-down and deliveries were halted.) But there are plenty of beer, spirits, and wines.

Good fresh fish, shrimp, and scallops, are available in most places. Other seafoods like octopus, squid, clams, and crab are available.

Meals are very reasonable in restaurants except in the very touristy places. We often eat in restaurants and pubs. The food is almost always fresh and delicious; as good as we can do in the galley.

Some spices and herbs are harder to find but they are available. Fresh ginger, turmeric, celery, garlic, and onions are available but leeks are rare.
I carry powdered turmeric, ginger, sweet and hot paprika, cardamom, garlic, cumin, a variety of powdered chili from mild to hot, yellow and black mustard seeds, coriander, white pepper, black pepper, sage, rosemary, thyme.
I also carry some corn meal, bread crumbs, and corn flake crumbs for breading fresh fish and meats.

The only foods I miss are wild meats and lamb. I have never found rabbit available in Mexico but I bring some every season. Before we came to Sea of Cortez we stocked up on canned meat and chicken, sardines, rice, beans, and even some MREs. We have never needed any of them.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 20:00   #44

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
HAH! Being allergic to peanuts, one PBJ sandwich would end my life, not extend it!

But as to things I miss... as it happens, today I'm cooking chili verde, a dish I really like. However, tomatillos are an unknown thing here in Oz, so I have to make undesirable substitutions... sigh...

There are now a few sources for Mexican condiments and ingredients here, but they are expensive and often require lengthy delays for shipping, and of course, not much in the way of fresh items... but far better than a couple of decades ago when we first cruised these waters.

Jim
Sounds very nice, Jim, I'll have to try that!

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 04:52   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP44 View Post
There's a joke that during the first wave of the pandemic, the US ran out of toilet paper and Mexico ran out of beer. (Beer was deemed unnecessary during the shut-down and deliveries were halted.) But there are plenty of beer, spirits, and wines....
Part of my team is in Mexico, and early in the pandemic, there was no beer for him to buy. Which was very ironic because Mexico is the top beer exporter in the world and we had plenty of Mexican beers in our local store. I assume our "Mexican" beer was brewed in the US, but I have not looked at the labels, since I buy one sorta mainstream beer and the rest is from local craft brewers.

The other shortage was yeast and both brands of bread yeast I use is from Mexico. Me thinks the reason the bread yeast is from Mexico is because Mexico is the largest exporter of beer.

Later,
Dan

Tags
cruising, food