Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2022, 11:30   #61

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore
Re: What to cook in the oven?

Meatloaf. Use a meat thermometer and cook to just barely well done. I like to spike mine with a little Jimmy Dean sausage. Throw in some eggs, oats, bread crumbs, onion, shredded carrots, finely chopped celery and a jalapeno or two, top with Hunts ketchup, and once it is cool, slice it for sammitches. Good stuff, that.

Roast chicken. Remember to use a thermometer. Baste often.

Pot roast. Use a Dutch Oven with lid for a pot.

Jambalaya.

Stewed chicken or pork chops, dutch oven, of course. Chicken and dumplings. Cheat, and use canned biscuits for the dumplings. It's a real rib sticker. There's lots of quick snacks you can heat or cook in the oven. Swanson Pot Pies come to mind. Why no bread? It's not hard at all. Even easier if you have a good mixer like a KitchenAid to do the kneading for you. Then there is brown n serve rolls and stuff. Cookies. You can buy cookie dough already made up. Biscuits, scratch or canned. Pies. Baked enchiladas.

Try some frozen burritos in a casserole dish with canned chili on top. When the burritos are absolutely thawed and hot in the middle, add some cheese and nacho slices on top, bake till cheese has some brown on it.

Pizza, either from scratch or pre-fab. Turn a cold cut poboy into a masterpiece by opening it up and broiling/toasting it.
Old 29-05-2022, 14:09   #62

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

On rainy days, when the visibility wasn't good for spear fishing, i used to bake cookies. Made the boat warm and dry, and smelled like a kids dream.

Ann
Old 30-05-2022, 15:19   #63

Boat: Cal 2-46

Bread
Jimmyhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2022, 09:34   #64

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyhenry View Post
Bread

Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 00:39   #65

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyhenry View Post
Bread
HEY! I was gonna say that!
Old 01-06-2022, 03:55   #66

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Cool night last night, and we're at the dock, so I tried a frozen pizza. Came out OK, although next time I'll move the rack up to it's highest position. There's only one heating element, at the bottom. The bottom of the crust almost burned by the time the top was done. Lesson learned.

Of course, it's rare we'll be at the dock in cool weather and near a store which sells frozen pizza, so there might not be a next time.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 15:47   #67

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Place an empty pizza tin on the bottom rack underneath the froz. pizza. It will force it to be only hot air around your pizza that you are cooking. When we use frozen pizza, we generally augment with extra sauce, and goodies. Makes it better (in our opinion).

Ann
Old 01-06-2022, 17:35   #68

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Good idea about the pizza pan, I have a bunch of those. I have a stone somewhere but I probably won't bring it to the boat. I agree the sauce is the most important thing, as far as giving it the right flavor. And of course you can add whatever toppings you have handy. I generally redistribute the toppings that came on the froze pizza before cooking. No sense having all the pepperoni in the middle when you cut it. Far better to have toppings around the outer edge so each slice retains it's proper share intact.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 03:28   #69

I’m with the ‘whatever you cook on land’ camp. Casseroles, breads, cookies…

In the north Carib, tostones (instead of frying them). Reheating samosas.

And toasted cheese (homage to the Aubrey-Maturin series)
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 12:47   #70

Boat: Precision P-18, Catalina 30

Agree with the many posts above - especially on the frozen lasagna-type ideas. I have started to scan supermarkets while I am shopping for my land-based home. And take pictures and keep notes of items I think would be great at-sea. (ex Aldi's has some great frozen meals, like a lasagna box with two smaller lasagna's in it. And some of the new, gourmet frozen meals have been great. Expensive, but delicious. And they stay fresh for days in the fridge.). Hack sort of mentioned above - if you use your oven for ANYTHING, always throw in one or two potatoes to pre-cook. You can use them the next day for lunch, hash browns, etc.)
Spring-Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 13:42   #71

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

I cook crepes in the final bake, cashew chicken , baked Salmon, Beer Batter Bass, bacon, roast beef, baseball steaks.
I’d give you the recipes but I have to kill you.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 13:54   #72

Okay okay
Put salmon steaks in a bag for every two steaks mix a 1/2 cup of brown sugar and coarse sea salt. Pour in shake it up coating steaks Fridge 2 hours pull out rinse pat dry. Rub with mustard and add table spoon of teriyaki. Back in the fridge 2 hours. Wrap in parchment paper, corn leaf , or tin foil if you must.on a bake sheet. Bake 350F 15-18 min. Bien.
Old 07-06-2022, 15:21   #73

Crêpe are romantic art for two. Like Eggs Benedict best cooked by two cooks.
I use the oven to mass solo cook crêpes cause it’s out I make crêpes.

You need fillings a whole new list of recipes. Strawberry rhubarb, Raspberry, Blueberry Rum, Ham n Cheese my regulars. Basically it’s fine slices of ham and cheese on a tray and fruit on another. The fruit recipes are purée pie fills really. I pre cook them and bag them up.

You need at least two crepe pans for my crowd. I still prefer them over other marvels and they take up less room than a coffee mug. The entire oven and cook top become la Crêperie
Pancake mix a little thinner than usual maybe a little sweater than usual and no egg yoke.
Cook one side until the uncooked side bubbles then place on bake sheet with parchment paper. Once the tray is full cook uncooked face up,cook up tops. Most ovens fit 8 crepes. Add ham and cheese to one tray Make 8 fruit on another tray. Add tops. The two uncooked sides stick together surround a table spoon of fill. Slide in oven at 350f for 12-15minutes. Serve with genuine Canadian maple syrup, butter, cottage cheese, confectioners sugar dusting, no catsup allowed but as your guests may like. Topping can be a strawberry and whip cream. There are no rules , I just hide the catsup.
Did I say ice cream
Old 07-06-2022, 16:09   #74
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

My wife doesn’t use the oven often, preferring the grill on the rail for most meats and foil packets for veggies. However when it gets chilly there is nothing like warming up your cabin with a batch of brownies or a loaf of pumpkin or ginger bread. She will bake sourdough bread and since she will bake it in a pot, it is crispy and really makes a meal out of a hot soup. If you are joining a group of cruisers for a group feast you can make a killer apple pie in a cast iron skillet.

It greatly depends on the time of year you cruise and the foods you enjoy. Lots of people only store their cereal boxes in their oven. Do what gives you joy.
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 16:37   #75
Marine Service Provider

A baked potato takes 9 minutes in micro and comes out great!

Try 5 minutes in the micro followed by 10-15 in the oven @ 400 F to get the crisp "baked potato skin" on it .

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oven