Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2024, 13:15   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: Why would they alter the shape of the propane tank??

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartSailor View Post
It looks like my anchor locker is about 1 inch too short for the steel tank. 😩 I am considering grinding down the base so it fits. Has anyone done that before? Hoping that won’t cause the gas company to not fill the tank. Damn, I was so close.
Gas companies are notoriously paranoid about any-ANY-tank modification. I wouldn't risk it. I'm sorry for all the trouble....been there. I've even had to lash a 10-lb composite tank to my sternrail and extend the hose out of the locker to meet it in the past. Covered it with a sunbrella sack, and it actually wasn't too bad.
Old 07-04-2024, 17:46   #17

Boat: Tartan 37

From Benz.
Gas companies are notoriously paranoid about any-ANY-tank modification. I wouldn't risk it. I'm sorry for all the trouble....been there. I've even had to lash a 10-lb composite tank to my sternrail and extend the hose out of the locker to meet it in the past. Covered it with a sunbrella sack, and it actually wasn't too bad.

I was afraid that would be the case and I don’t want to go the sternrail option, so I dug a little deeper and found, of all things, a Worthington Steel tank whose dimensions are just right. You’d think the guy at Worthington, might have shared that with me as an option. Let’s hope it’s still available.

Thanks again to all who responded to help. 👍
StuartSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2024, 14:34   #18

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
It looks like my anchor locker is about 1 inch too short for the steel tank. 😩 I am considering grinding down the base so it fits. Has anyone done that before? Hoping that won’t cause the gas company to not fill the tank. Damn, I was so close.

They're supposed to confirm the presence and integrity of the base ring before every fill.

5# cylinders are available from many sources.
Old 12-04-2024, 10:17   #19

FYI

The Bahamas will fill any tank regardless of age, state of condition etc.
windcastle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2024, 11:06   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Roberts V495

Lol - I built a pair of lockers with snug drop in pockets (complete with overboard drains/vents) for std 20# tanks…..the perfect easy change set up I thought!

Then it came time to trade the tanks (it’s cheaper, and I never own a tank long enough for it to rust out)… and that’s when I discovered standard 20# propane tanks dia can vary by 1/2” …. and the pair of tanks I started with were on the skinny side. Learnt to take a tape with me, and measure the fresh tank before trading - seldom had to check more than 1/2 dozen before I had 2 that fit.

So - if you can - measure up the new ones! Might be one that still fits.
nofacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2024, 14:46   #21

Boat: Ganley Transition 41 (corten steel )

Hi There

Filling your own gas bottle is sometimes the best option...I purchase the regular full gas bottle and decant them into my own yacht gas bottles. You will have to make a fitting that goes between both gas bottle types......then use gravity...with the full bottle upside down and the empy bottle upright....
Do the filling outside..it can take a day of two for graviy to do its thing...there is also a pressure release screw on the bottle being filled that can be used to help lower the pressure in the bottle being filled...

No Smoking of coure

thanks Ray
ski69sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2024, 14:54   #22

Quote:
Good Afternoon All,

I am planning a trip to the Bahamas soon and removed my Worthington aluminum 10 pound tank to refill but of course it was rusted badly on the bottom and had to be discarded.

Off to West Marine I went for a replacement, the choices were slim, to get “the same” Worthington 10 pounder. However, somewhere in the last 6 years, since I bought my tank, some engineer thought it would be a good idea to make the same size tank wider in the middle. Surprise, it doesn’t fit in my locker.

The Worthington guy said he’d heard this issue from boaters and was telling them, begrudgingly, that they needed to alter their propane locker. At least he gave me the name of Manchester Tank to see if the were smart enough to have the original size. They were not.

Can anyone suggest where I might be able to purchase, what I presume now to be, an old style propane tank cylinder so that I don’t have to increase the size of a propane locker that has worked just fine since 1983. Thanks. I’m so incredible frustrated at the logic used to “update” products.

I appreciate any help you can offer.

Jesse
I spent many years in the propane industry. You just need to recertify the tank. After 12 years all small tanks need to have the OPD valve redone and tank measured. Rust is always cosmetic. I have recertification tanks that are 50 plus years old. For us in Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, they never check the recert date.
jimellifritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2024, 16:11   #23

Boat: Ganley Transition 41 (corten steel )

Hi There

I use my own fiberglass and aluminium gas bottels on my yacht.... because the others gas bottles available rust and chip the paint more often than not...
Generally speaking my Gas Bottles have had very little use ..But filling them myself solves a multitude of issues.......... and I know their history ...The damage to bottes happens mainly during the filling prosess,,,,due to the extream pressue during fill............

thanks Ray
ski69sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2024, 16:50   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski69sail View Post
Hi There

Filling your own gas bottle is sometimes the best option...I purchase the regular full gas bottle and decant them into my own yacht gas bottles. You will have to make a fitting that goes between both gas bottle types......then use gravity...with the full bottle upside down and the empy bottle upright....
Do the filling outside..it can take a day of two for graviy to do its thing...there is also a pressure release screw on the bottle being filled that can be used to help lower the pressure in the bottle being filled...

No Smoking of coure

thanks Ray
Yea......don't do this unless you know exactly what you are doing while weight it after. Gravity has nothing to do with with the filling of the empty bottle other than putting the liquid at the bottom of the tanks. Its all about pressure gradients and vapor pressure. The biggest hazard is the tank is overfilled. Without proper vapor space, the liquid does not have room to expand and contract causing liquid to vent out of the pressure relief device (bad) and/or the tank rupturing (really bad). I refill the 1lb bottles for class demonstration purposes and do not let them sit after doing so. I fill them (properly) and immediately use them in case there was a mistake.
Now, if you know what you are doing and doing it properly, it is best to either vent the remaining gas or fill it a little and vent it then fill the tank. The venting gas refrigerates the empty tank, decreasing the internal pressure while keeping it very cold (-40f) allowing the liquid filling the tank to remain in a liquid state more readily. Its called autorefrigeration.
MikeHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2024, 16:52   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski69sail View Post
Hi There

I use my own fiberglass and aluminium gas bottels on my yacht.... because the others gas bottles available rust and chip the paint more often than not...
Generally speaking my Gas Bottles have had very little use ..But filling them myself solves a multitude of issues.......... and I know their history ...The damage to bottes happens mainly during the filling prosess,,,,due to the extream pressue during fill............

thanks Ray
There is less pressure in the bottle during filling than after.
MikeHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane