Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2011, 08:55   #1

Boat: Bombay PH 31
Wider Girths Mean Fewer Boat Passengers

Cant make stuff like this up
Wider girths mean fewer boat passengers
Old 20-12-2011, 09:02   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Re: Wider girths mean fewer boat passengers

It's a good thing that fat floats, otherwise lifejackets would be needing more buoyancy as well. Come to think of it, could life jackets buoyancy ratings be lowered now?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 09:41   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

hey, more room for me
Old 20-12-2011, 12:43   #4
Armchair Bucketeer

About time they applied the same to Aeroplanes.......
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 13:03   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

The weight of the fuel burned in flight for commercial jets is significantly greater than the difference between fat or skinny people, so this factor does not have much effect. Fore and aft wise, trimming the elevator tabs takes care of that. There are maximum allowable takeoff weights for aircraft. Seat widths are insanely narrow though especially when a very overweight person gets seated next to you.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 20:31   #6

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
About time they applied the same to Aeroplanes.......
And elevators. Maybe buses.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 01:37   #7
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
And elevators. Maybe buses.
And IMO pavements should have 2 lanes - the fast (folk actually going somewhere) and slow (for dawdlers and fat f#ckers!)........that way can politely shout at folk "wrong lane!".........apparently it's not PC to simply tell fat people they are fat - hell, it's not as if they (and everyone else!) don't know....."He / she is a bit sensitive about their weight" - obviously not that sensitive otherwise wouldn't carry on eating the annual calorie intake of Ethiopia - every day .

I blame fatties for Global Warming .
Old 21-12-2011, 06:48   #8

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
The weight of the fuel burned in flight for commercial jets is significantly greater than the difference between fat or skinny people, so this factor does not have much effect. Fore and aft wise, trimming the elevator tabs takes care of that. There are maximum allowable takeoff weights for aircraft. Seat widths are insanely narrow though especially when a very overweight person gets seated next to you.
Seat width specifications are based upon standards developed in the 1950's for the earliest commercial airliners when people were smaller and obeseity wasn't common-place. If one weighs as much a two; and takes as much room as two, shouldn't one be required to pay for two? As yourself. if "Siamese Twins", joined at the hip, were to book a flight, would they be charged for two seats, or one?

As for passenger weight, I have flown on several small airlines, such as the puddle-jumper from Key West to St. Pete/Sarasota, and each passenger is weighed (and their "size" discretely noted) and seat assignments made on the basis of weight and balance considerations in the aircraft. I have also seen on that route, in one case, a late arriving passenger--seats are allocated on a first come/first served basis--declined becase of her girth (than goodness!).
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 08:07   #9

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

I have a sticker for my car that says "Left lane is for passing and idiots only".

We "shared" our seats with a 500lb guy on a flight from London to Houston a few years ago. He had to put his foot under one of our seats, and we couldn't use OUR fold down tray because it hit him! The airline (Continental) offered to put us on another flight - FIVE days later, if we didn't want the seats.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 08:21   #10
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
I have a sticker for my car that says "Left lane is for passing and idiots only".

We "shared" our seats with a 500lb guy on a flight from London to Houston a few years ago. He had to put his foot under one of our seats, and we couldn't use OUR fold down tray because it hit him! The airline (Continental) offered to put us on another flight - FIVE days later, if we didn't want the seats.
I would have just stood up during the flight.......and then urinated on him - he's hardly going to run after ya is he
Old 12-01-2012, 12:21   #11
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
The airline (Continental) offered to put us on another flight - FIVE days later, if we didn't want the seats.
Since they clearly recognised there was a problem did you get any compensation? I hope you at least made a formal complaint about that!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:59   #12

Re: Wider Girths Mean Fewer Boat Passengers

The link in the OP not working for me, but this has been on the news here in the last few days....

Airlines paying more for fuel because waistlines are expanding | News.com.au

I don't know about the fuel costs, but i do know when i pay for a seat i don't expect to be sharing it with the person next to me...

The last flight i was on i could not even use the in flight entertainment system due to a substantial fold of the person next to me hiding the controls......"excuse me sir, but could please lift that slab of blubber up so i can attempt to adjust the volume".....
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 13:11   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: Wider Girths Mean Fewer Boat Passengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post

The last flight i was on i could not even use the in flight entertainment system due to a substantial fold of the person next to me hiding the controls......"excuse me sir, but could please lift that slab of blubber up so i can attempt to adjust the volume".....
I'm not overweight by any stretch of the imagination (6 lbs higher then when swimming 2 miles a day 40 years ago), but my problem is my height, at 6'4".

I used to be able to get the emergency rows; now half of them are just as bad. Airlines say, buy first class if you have a problem.

Thanks!

Sometimes, and only sometimes, stewardess will take me into first class after the plane is off the ground. I appreciate that, and remember those airlines that do.