Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2011, 07:17   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
WiseFood Choice ? Good ?

Did anybody tried those dried food that can be store as they say 25 years(!) it seems practical for weight and volume sake in a boat , but what about quality, taste practicality?
here the web site:

OUTDOOR MEALS | WISE FOOD CHOICE
Old 03-09-2011, 07:34   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: WiseFood Choice? Good or no Good?

you dont live on board, i take it.
good luck. tell us how they taste.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:37   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecadi View Post
Did anybody tried those dried food that can be store as they say 25 years(!) it seems practical for weight and volume sake in a boat , but what about quality, taste practicality?
here the web site:

OUTDOOR MEALS | WISE FOOD CHOICE
I think this kind of food makes good sense for extreme sailing - say extreme racing, or extreme expeditions - where weight counts and where our cooking time/facilities are limited.

Have not tried this make, so I cannot comment on taste. Other makes I tried all sucked.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:41   #4

i can see it for extreme sailing in a lightweight boat wherein weight matters.
will store well and fill food needs.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:42   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

It is probably better to adjust your diet to foods that are already dehydrated and have a long shelf life like beans, rice and flour. Also buy foods available locally when in port that do not have such a long shelf life.

I would definitely buy a few samples of WiseFoods and live off of it ashore for a few days before committing to this.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:01   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,

Ok Ok... I WAS JUST ASKING OUT OF CURIOSITY........

Zee: don't worry I love food and I'm a good cook (at least that what they say about me) and coming from a food loving country... so don't worry too much
Old 03-09-2011, 08:01   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

i use dried veg all the time that i store in air tight jars next to the galley,handy for adding to stews and soups,but would not use on its own as a veg dish.

great for bulking out meals when cooking for a large crew(6-8+),as is dried soya for meat dishes.

dried garlic,dried onions,dried mixed veg,soya chuncks ,dried mushrooms,save lots of space and last forever if stored properly.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:43   #8

concur with atoll....
alecadi dont get yer shorts pinched up---makes yer voice rise..is alll goood....was just askin----for emergent stuff, i can see it-- would be good for a ditch bag if no cooking was needed.....or, as atoll said, helping out foods cooked....
Old 03-09-2011, 22:56   #9

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

I bought a dozen or so of these type meals from REI. The chicken and rice in peanut sauce was particularly good. All of these were more tasty that I had thought they would be. The only ones that sucked big time were the ones containing eggs. Nothing makes dried eggs palatable, although I do keep a large container of dried eggs for baking and pancakes, etc. Fine for that. Unopened the eggs last 10 years and opened they will last 5 yr. Good to keep onboard for when fresh eggs are scarce or unavailable. At least you can make pancakes or French toast.

We used these dried meal pouches only when sea conditions were too rough for cooking for more than a couple of days, which doesn't happen all that often. Usually in rough conditions we eat things like rotisserrie chicken that I de-bone and freeze in individual meal pouches before long passages. But when it was too rough to even dig in the freezer, it was always possible to boil water in the sealed tea kettle and open a pouch of the dried meals. And anything hot is better than yet another cold sandwich when at sea for days.

BTW, I finally threw out the last 3 pouches of these meals because we are now in the Med and fresh food is always readily available and there will be no more long passages until we eventually cross the Atlantic. But if I were headed out on another ocean crossing I would again purchase a few of these for emergency use during rough weather -- probably no more than 4 meals worth.

Also, FWIW, we have MREs in our ditch bag. Those can be heated by simply adding seawater to the outside pouch and let sit for a few minutes. Haven't tried those and hope we never have to.

Judy
S/V BeBe
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:56   #10

Boat: Samsara, a Ross 930

As Judy says, I keep similar foods (from climbing shops) as emergency reserves. But there are much tastier and more economical ways to eat!

If eaten routinely your stock will turn over pretty quickly. You wouldn't need 10+ year shelf lives. And weight saving arguments only apply if you have a water maker. The rest of us will be carrying the water in tanks.
roger.waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:44   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger.waite View Post
As Judy says, I keep similar foods (from climbing shops) as emergency reserves. But there are much tastier and more economical ways to eat!
+1 to that

I use similar foods on week-long hiking or skiing trips, but mostly for emergency supplies. To eat them every day in and out puts a toll on the body, plus you still need additional nutrition that normally you get from fresh foods.

Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:03   #12
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat

Ditto the toll on the body.

I find that most if not all freeze-dried or backpacking diets give me the "squirts"
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:19   #13

Raman Noodle soup packs 6 for $1, the breakfast lunch and dinner of college students and champions. Instant noodles, pour in hot water, wait 3 minutes, eat.

Rice, pasta and beans are dry and stay good for long enough.

Seriously though, dried food is a large part of any provisioning. Get a good pressure cooker and learn how to use it. Beans, rice, rissotto, even salt cod will find a place in your menus.
harmonytek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:49   #14

Boat: Catalina 30

Dried foods are found at Asian markets in the U.S. I keep them in a sealed Rubbermaid tub. The mushrooms, sea weeds, beans and rice are excellent for soups and porridge's.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:35   #15
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

To sum up: (1) don't confuse dehydrated food with freeze-dried food. Big difference in taste, texture, cost, quality. Also everyday dehydrates e.g. supermarket dried apricots are different from drier long-life dehydrates sealed in cans. (2) Best to go with time-honored dried foods such as rice, beans, dates, stuff that sells in everyday markets at everyday prices. (3) Try before you buy in big lots. Some taste awful and need a lot of water, soaking and/or cooking. (4) Buy small boxes, packages cans unless you have a large crew. Qualify diminishes quickly in damp sea air.

« Fresh Air | CNG »