Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2019, 12:47   #16

Re: You provisioned in the Windwards? Can you help me sort out where?

Martinique for the reasons already mentioned plus the Rhum agricole which is very nice. Those who appreciate distilled spirits will be quite pleased.
boatman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 12:59   #17

Boat: Nonsuch 30

We found in Grenada that you wanted to shop the morning after the supply boat came in to get the best selection of fresh foods. Shopping in any of the French islands is outstanding since you get such a wide variety of things to choose from. No help for where you are going but the best shopping I have ever had in my life was in Papeete.
Old 10-04-2019, 19:38   #18

Boat: Challenger 7.4 but looking for 30-40ft with a wheel

Grenada has best prices. CK's or IGA.
earthmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:08   #19

Boat: Cal-40

I’ve been sailing full time down here for the last two years and without doubt your best selection and prices will be on the island of Martinique. Although diesel at this very moment is 1.30 euro per liter at the pump, this can be bought cheaper on Dominica and Saint Lucia. Water will also cost you. At the marina it’s about 2 or 3 euro per 100 liters, not bad I suppose it’s the cost of a cup of coffee. Once you get south of Saint Lucia the prices start to rise considerably.
Clearing into Martinique is fast and easy. In Saint Pierre it cost 3 euros and all the other places such as Le Marin will cost you just 5 euro. If you know your date of departure you can clear in and out at the same time so this way you don’t need to make a special trip back to clear out and leave. Anyway, Martinique is best. Use cation if you visit Saint Vincent, more crime there unfortunately. So I wish you a safe and pleasant voyage
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:03   #20

Boat: Boatless at this time (is this a word?)

I appreciate the advice on my question. Based on all of this, I will provision for my bulk buy in Le Marin and then do my second in Grenada. And, I will eventually go to St. Vincent and moor at Young Island and go to shore from there. I want to go to the city market with its associated chaos. I'll hire a person (I have relatives of one of my crew) to stay on the boat during the day when we are ashore.
Swammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:29   #21

Boat: Bavaria, 12.3m
Send a message via Skype™ to Otia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swammy View Post
I will start in Le Marin so I will for sure
I forgot to mention, in the French supermarkets be sure not to miss the canned "canard confit" (Duck Confit). You can keep it a long time and it is an absolute delight. My wife makes it with farfalle pasta and she adds morel and maple syrup and... hummy
Old 12-04-2019, 05:20   #22

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

If you are anchored at Young Island St.Vincent, there is a fishermans co-op just south of there where you can buy directly from the fishermen.
We got lobster there at half the market price.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 18:33   #23

Nanny, Ill breach the subject of safety as there is all types of thoughts on this on the forum and on Facebook forums by island. You anchored off of young island? Was this recent? Did you have any issues with safety of the boat or people? I have never been there and I am some very mixed signals as to St. Vincent. My sons long time girlfriend, who is originally born in St. V and her mom and dad are there and they want me to meet them, want us to stay a few days. Help! And as background, I worked and lived in Latin America including Peru, Bolivia and Chile so I know how to handle myself in less than organized places. But safety is important if it is a real concern.
Old 12-04-2019, 18:37   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otia View Post
I forgot to mention, in the French supermarkets be sure not to miss the canned "canard confit" (Duck Confit). You can keep it a long time and it is an absolute delight. My wife makes it with farfalle pasta and she adds morel and maple syrup and... hummy
So Ill look up how to cook this. It looks like quite the meal and I would humbly request to borrow your wife to make it for us! I would make sure her wine glass is always kept full while the chef is working.
Old 12-04-2019, 19:02   #25

Boat: Beneteau first 26

Quote:
Nanny, Ill breach the subject of safety as there is all types of thoughts on this on the forum and on Facebook forums by island. You anchored off of young island? Was this recent? Did you have any issues with safety of the boat or people? I have never been there and I am some very mixed signals as to St. Vincent. My sons long time girlfriend, who is originally born in St. V and her mom and dad are there and they want me to meet them, want us to stay a few days. Help! And as background, I worked and lived in Latin America including Peru, Bolivia and Chile so I know how to handle myself in less than organized places. But safety is important if it is a real concern.
Have been here for 3 days now., When we anchor usually we are alone (except Cumberland - wallilabou - young island ) the place doesn't feel safe , but we don't have issues .
Boat boys are kind and once realises that I have no money (problems with the card ) they even offer fruits for free .
In my.personal opinion is that I never felt as threatened as I feel here not even in Africa but I believe is mostly safe .
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2019, 04:27   #26

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

We had family visiting us staying at the Blue Lagoon hotel.
So we took a mooring in there. Might have been able to anchor in there but we got the mooring for half price since we were visiting a guest at the resort.
If you save enough on provisioning you might treat yourself to one of thier buffets, they are decadent.

We took our dinghy from there to Young island, the fish market, and also to hike up to fort Duvernette (free).

We had our two young children with us and my elderly mother.
We took local busses, walked. It never felt unsafe, similar to any other larger Carribean city.

Having local hosts that want to show you around is a rare and wonderfull opurtunity that I would never pass up.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 06:18   #27

Boat: Bavaria, 12.3m
Send a message via Skype™ to Otia

Quote:
Did you have any issues with safety of the boat or people? I have never been there and I am some very mixed signals as to St. Vincent.
Young Island Cut as suggested above is safe. I was there many times. It is at the southern tip of St V. Other locations in St V are sketchy.

I once moored in a bay (I can't recall the name), in the middle of the island on the lee shore. I was the only boat there. We went ashore and felt observed. We found a fantastic Thai restaurant on the beach. The owner came to see us while we were having diner there and asked me if it was my boat in the bay and if I intended to stay overnight. He told me he would make sure we were gonna be safe
Old 15-04-2019, 06:42   #28

Quote:
St. George's being St. Vincent?
Yes, St. George is a part of St. Vincent and the Grenadines.

Wiki:
Saint George is an administrative parish of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, situated in the most southerly portion of the island of Saint Vincent. With an area of 52 km² it is the country's third largest parish by total area. According to the 2000 census it has a population of approximately 52,400 making it the most populous parish in Saint Vincent and the Grenadines and by extent, the most densely populated as well. Its population accounts for 44% of that of the country and its area, only 13%.

Kingstown, the largest settlement and the capital of Saint George, and also happens to be the capital of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind