Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2013, 17:54   #1

A man's guide to women's foul weather gear!

Question for the ladies, who has the best cut and fit in weather gear">foul weather gear? Specifically, who do you think has the best fit in pants?

I have a brand I love, I think their best offshore foul weather jacket is a garment of unapproachable beauty with absolutely impeccable construction and well thought out detailing that only reinforces what an amazing piece of clothing it is. It's like a suit of armor. This is great for me, I'm a guy with a guy-shaped robot box body and that's a jacket, not a pair of pants.

My girl doesn't have a robot box shaped body, she's on the tall side but otherwise all woman and I think she should enjoy the same quality as I do. Prolly could look at whatever the lady ocean racers are wearing but I would love to hear your thoughts firsthand!
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 17:58   #2

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Re: A man's guide to women's foul weather gear!

Hiya Delancy! Are you bored, bud? You really need a hobby! Take care!

Mauritz
Next topic...what color swim wear...for Sunday!
Old 12-10-2013, 18:20   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Hiya Delancy! Are you bored, bud? You really need a hobby! Take care!

Mauritz
Next topic...what color swim wear...for Sunday!
Dude, you are exactly the reason "Women Who Sail" exists on Facebook. Get a life. Question was for the ladies, not the wannabes.
Old 12-10-2013, 19:30   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Oddly enough I use guy fowlies. The pair of girl fowl weather pants I had at first had the opening along the side with velcro closure. Never really worked right and was more a pain then the straight up Bibb pants that guys have. Gee Girls have to take them down anyway. Duh.

Plus I think the quality of the guy clothing is a bit better. Hard to find in pink/salmon though. I actually like the Jacket (Gill OS2) as its longer on me and keeps the water off well. Most of the girls jackets I had seem a little light weight to me. I have a Henri Lloyd that's light weight.

Really your not going to win any fashion awards with fowlies anyway. For me its FAR more important to be dry and warm. Girl fowlies seem designed more for the summer sunny days then the blowing snot and green seas over the bow days.

From a fit standpoint, it works ok, none of the girl bits are too snug and I'm hum...curvy too. I buy loose anyway, so I can have another jacket/ sweater under the jacket and several pairs of pants with the overalls. Warm is important.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 19:53   #5

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancy View Post
Dude, you are exactly the reason "Women Who Sail" exists on Facebook. Get a life. Question was for the ladies, not the wannabes.
This is the reason he's on ignore with me.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 21:59   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Oddly enough I use guy fowlies.
Really your not going to win any fashion awards with fowlies anyway. For me its FAR more important to be dry and warm. Girl fowlies seem designed more for the summer sunny days then the blowing snot and green seas over the bow days.

From a fit standpoint, it works ok, none of the girl bits are too snug and I'm hum...curvy too. I buy loose anyway, so I can have another jacket/ sweater under the jacket and several pairs of pants with the overalls. Warm is important.
+1

I use Musto Ocean gear. I am not always oblivious to appearance LOL, but I couldn't care less how I look in wet weather gear, only how it functions.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 04:30   #7

Funny, before we first went shopping for her a couple years ago I explained how my mom always wore men's because they didn't make it for women. I told my wife we would likely end up doing the same thing, buying her oversized men's gear.

When we saw they now made it for women it was like ok, great! Besides the fact we never found her stuff that fit quite right I felt also that the gear for women was t quite as tough, which in my mind is just stupid.

I was t going to name names, but in fact the gear I have which I love so much is the Musto Ocean. We're going across the pond next summer, I think maybe that is the way to go. Here is a photo of Vendee Globe competitor Samantha Davies wearing what appears to be said gear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1320
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	68594  
Old 13-10-2013, 05:30   #8

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
My better half will tell you, and I agree, that the marine crap is not worth it. We all (Mum, Dad and son) just use normal land based clothing. As the only (normally) person who gets up around the mast in rough weather, I just strip off and then later dry off with a towel. Too easy.

Anything that costs more than $50 means you sail above 35 degrees or have been sucked in by the marketing.

Where are you expecting.to sail? You want to impress or be comfortable?

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 05:38   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
My better half will tell you, and I agree, that the marine crap is not worth it. We all (Mum, Dad and son) just use normal land based clothing. As the only (normally) person who gets up around the mast in rough weather, I just strip off and then later dry off with a towel. Too easy.

Anything that costs more than $50 means you sail above 35 degrees or have been sucked in by the marketing.

Where are you expecting.to sail? You want to impress or be comfortable?
Um, crossing the Atlantic. Will pass on normal land based clothing but thanks for sharing. Jimbo is a funny name for a girl.
Old 13-10-2013, 05:47   #10

Boat: Leopard 40
I only have been where it is warm, GA, FL, Bahamas, and have a nice set of Columbia raingear that I use and brought from CO. I layer if I am cold but it fits nicely. I am 5' 2", 120 and the smalls fit well. Pants snap at the bottom or they would be a little long.
I wore my jacket to the boat show">Miami boat show one rainy day and got several compliments from women. I don't think they always like the Gorton's Fisherman's look
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 05:55   #11

Quote:

Um, crossing the Atlantic. Will pass on normal land based clothing but thanks for sharing. Jimbo is a funny name for a girl.
That means below 35 degrees in the trades? Going west?

I am the typist. With a penis. Her name is Lily. She dictates. Not sure of the relevance.

Only 40 000 + miles..... You keep chasing the advice, mate! All the best!

Old 13-10-2013, 06:17   #12

No that means NYC to England so north of 50 or thereabouts.

As far as your penis goes, question was specifically for the ladies so when you replied, well, I figured you were a girl. Cuz what does a man know about women's foul weather gear? Based on your super helpful comment, obviously nothing.

Nice self-aggrandizement BTW 40,000 + miles good for you!!!!!
Old 13-10-2013, 06:21   #13

Quote:
No that means NYC to England so north of 50 or thereabouts.

As far as your penis goes, question was specifically for the ladies so when you replied, well, I figured you were a girl. Cuz what does a man know about women's foul weather gear? Based on your super helpful comment, obviously nothing.
Ha Ha! I was just the messenger. The sender has a vagina.

You have a great trip across and rug up!

Old 14-10-2013, 08:43   #14

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

my wife and I do not buy shop a marine stores for cloths and sboes as the are over prised and have no fashion style. We shop at sports and ski stores, REI Big 5 as the have outer wear that has a variety of color with fashion style. Most of the new lighter ski cold weather are water repellent and come in women sizes style and colors. I been wearing NorthFace for 20+years.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 09:18   #15

I absolutely LOVE my Musto MPX gear. My first MPX jacket lasted something like 15 years. I buy oversize so I can layer under for colder weather. Like Sailorchic said, buy for the weather, not for the looks

Find good deals on eBay etc. I don't buy at full price ($600 for jacket now ouch!) if you look, may take some time, you can find new-old-stock last year's jackets salopettes etc. I am about $500 into both my jacket and salopette britches. I did have to shorten the britches, but the jacket has the velcro sleeve closure and that works for me
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foul weather gear, gear, men, weather