Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2017, 14:56   #31

Boat: Ocean Alexander
Re: A weasel onboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
I was deer hunting one time and a little weasel ran past me on the trail, from my rear, carrying a dead mouse. He got about 10 or so feet ahead of me, put down the mouse and turned around and hissed at me. I had to laugh but at the same time it kind of sent a chill up my back.

I could just imagine blowing off my leg if he came after me.

That wouldn't be funny but if the little critter ran up your pant leg that might be a better option[emoji15][emoji15]
Old 10-09-2017, 15:14   #32

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska JD View Post
Great news. Little muddy footprints on and around the head. Looks like it's live trap time and perhaps avoid tearing the boat apart
Oh, we cruisers are an interesting lot. Amazing how thrilling such news is! Of course, perhaps we're all looking for a smile given some of the images coming out of the Caribbean.

Good luck hunting!
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 16:23   #33

My father was what the Americans call a ranger ( I think ) and trapping these things ( called stoats over here ) was a regular occurance , as kids we were then , we were told never go near them in the trap unless they were certainly dead ,,I can tell you they are killing machines !! More killing potential per body weight than any other known animal , deadly to any managed sporting estate , ( strange term , what ever could be considered sporting about shooting defenceless animals ) but their tenacity can only be admired and has to be respected ,
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 18:51   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
My father was what the Americans call a ranger ( I think ) and trapping these things ( called stoats over here ) was a regular occurance , as kids we were then , we were told never go near them in the trap unless they were certainly dead ,,I can tell you they are killing machines !! More killing potential per body weight than any other known animal , deadly to any managed sporting estate , ( strange term , what ever could be considered sporting about shooting defenceless animals ) but their tenacity can only be admired and has to be respected ,

In Alaska they are called ermine. They turn white in the winter and are trapped for fur. I can vouch for them being "killing machines". A number of years ago one got into our hen house and killed 23 laying hens. He ate a small part of the breast of one chicken and simply bit the heads of the rest. I tried, but never caught him. The reason I know it was an ermine was the tracks in the snow. It is there reputation that had me warn my wife not to touch it while I looked for something to kill it with. I was just too slow.
Old 10-09-2017, 22:11   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

They are Weasel in the summer and Irmine in their white winter garb. My step father also trapped them when I was a boy.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:54   #36

Boat: Pearson 33-2

Quote:
I was deer hunting one time and a little weasel ran past me on the trail, from my rear, carrying a dead mouse. He got about 10 or so feet ahead of me, put down the mouse and turned around and hissed at me. I had to laugh but at the same time it kind of sent a chill up my back.

That made me blow a little bit of coffee out my nose. LOL I've had close encounters with a few critters, but never had one hiss at me. The neatest/closest to making me mess my shorts was a Great Horned Owl that landed a foot away from me. They don't call them the bird of silent flight for nothing. In a tree stand, and right at dusk.......Scared the bejesus out of me.
Fence Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:57   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fence Man View Post
That made me blow a little bit of coffee out my nose. LOL I've had close encounters with a few critters, but never had one hiss at me. The neatest/closest to making me mess my shorts was a Great Horned Owl that landed a foot away from me. They don't call them the bird of silent flight for nothing. In a tree stand, and right at dusk.......Scared the bejesus out of me.

About 40 years ago as a kid I was out hunting with my Brother and Father.
Right about first light, we heard three real quick shots from the direction of my Fathers tree stand.
One shot is usual, maybe with a delay a second shot. But three one right after the other is clearly someone who doesn't know what they are doing. This puzzled me.
When we went to get him, apparently a large Bob Cat had possession of the tree, and when it got just barely light enough to see, it hissed at my Father, who had no idea it was there until then, the three shots were in self defense
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:13   #38
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Thanks for sharing that. I got a chuckle.

I suspect someone has done something similar, when a small critter came too close.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:10   #39

Boat: Pearson 33-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
About 40 years ago as a kid I was out hunting with my Brother and Father.
Right about first light, we heard three real quick shots from the direction of my Fathers tree stand.
One shot is usual, maybe with a delay a second shot. But three one right after the other is clearly someone who doesn't know what they are doing. This puzzled me.
When we went to get him, apparently a large Bob Cat had possession of the tree, and when it got just barely light enough to see, it hissed at my Father, who had no idea it was there until then, the three shots were in self defense
That would be worse than a bear in your tree! Velcro kitty on steroids! Bobcats are making a comeback here (SW Indiana) and the first one I've seen on our place was last fall. He hung out under my tree stand for a good 30 minutes or so, which pretty well killed the deer hunting, but was pretty neat to see. We actually have a small pocket of Mountain Lions here, and I've been lucky enough to see 3 and get some trail cam pics. They aren't here every year, but when they are, deer hunting at home is pointless. I did have a close encounter with a coyote, about 5 feet, but just as soon as it hit my scent, he was gone.
Fence Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:05   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:

That weasel was probably convinced you wanted to eat his mouse.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:12   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It was kind of a surreal moment, let me tell you. Such a small critter facing down a 6' 1" man with a hunting rifle. LOL. He disappeared into a bunch of rocks, stashed his mouse and came back out to keep an eye on me as I walked by.
Old 11-09-2017, 14:02   #42

Very cool experience/story. It's what life's made of!
Old 11-09-2017, 14:16   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

JD, how are you making out with the critter?
Old 11-09-2017, 14:24   #44

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

JD, all of us who have had critter problems want to know how it comes out with your ermine invader. And good luck to you!

Ann
Old 11-09-2017, 14:26   #45

2 1/2 days, so maybe near starvation unless they threw a side of beef into the head.
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote