Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2007, 21:04   #1
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Ahem, daaaaaarling

You know how we planned to head off next May to the islands? Wellllllll, I've just been "urged to apply" for a job at the South Pole for a year!!!
True story, if Sue gets a job as well (highly likely) we come out of it with enough money to cruise comfortably for 10 years without working.
Do I get her drunk first and then broach the subject or should I be brave & talk before the wine flows? I don't want to get trapped in the "but it's a really good job and it's only for a while" syndrome but wintering at the pole has always been one of my dreams and Sue has wanted to do it as well.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2007, 21:44   #2

Looks like we have a duplicate thread. With a duplicate post.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 00:06   #3

Pete,I reckon ya should do it.Not everyone gets to do that,and twice.One yrs work for ten sailing,that aint to hard to figure out.And if Sue wants to do the south pole thing then it should be even easier to swing,If and only if,you both get a posting.Otherwise it's one year of lonlyness for five yrs of sailing.Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 00:35   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Hmmmm, my post disappered. Oh well, here I go again.
After watching the programme series " Ice", I realised what a lucky son of a gun you and Sue were going down to the ice. Mate I would love to do that. I would say go for it. Who cares what you do, as long as you are doing something.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 01:43   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
If I were only 44 years old, I would consider 1 year of work & isolation for 10 years of freedom, an extremely good rate of return.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 02:40   #6
cruiser

Damn, double posting & now double threads. Thanks guys, guess I just needed a bit of emotional support and I got it. I halved the problem by having a wine or 2 before the admiral got home then broached the subject while she was still sober!! She's keen!!! Just got to get the jobs now.
Old 21-08-2007, 04:26   #7

Cool beans

What great news! Congratulations. Clare applied for an arts scolarship thing down there, but she did not get it. I would have been able to come with and hold her paintbrushes! :O) She is going to keep applying, because its a once in a lifetime thing. I bet your partner will go for it. If she is adventurous enough to go cruising, I bet she will do it! If you meet anybody with an "in" let us know! Though a trip to antarctica could delay our first bambino even more. Apparently the trigger that makes a lady baby crazy is going off like a foghorn at the moment! Congrats! So cool!

Brian
brian and clare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 12:43   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Just to let you know Brian, both Pete and Sue have been there before. I think that is where they met, but maybe wrong.
As for Kids, if you want anything to apply brakes to immediate plans and dreams, it's having Kids. I suggest you start now and get it over and done with so you can take them sailing with you or have them when you retire. I decided to wait till I retire, but it means I am short on the slave labour part ;-) :-)

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 17:06   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
When to Have Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler
I suggest you start now and get it over and done with so you can take them sailing with you or have them when you retire.
Pete and Sue - What an awesome adventure. My young (half) brother marched off to Alaska to go to college. At first he worked for FedEx up there and as he is in his Junior year he got an internship doing research on remote Alaskan villages. He quit FedEx and is now doing research full time. He is constantly getting on twin turbo props and getting dropped off in the ice somewhere for a week. It looks like fun work but it's totally bizarre to see he and his g/f in shorts and t's, in the snow and ice. I guess you can acclimate to anything. If it gets in the 60's I am looking for my woolies....

Brian and Clare - Whatever you decide will be great. We waited until we were mid-30's. We had 10 years of being together and adventuring the world before Josh came along. We are now mid-40s, financially settled and we feel mature enough to make good choices for him.

We also know people that had kids at 20 who are doing great. My dad started a second family in his 60's. It's all good. Just make sure you are on the same page. Kids are awesome!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 19:38   #10

Babies in boatland

Yep, we are definietly ready for them now, but Clare has school to finish, we have bills to pay (darn student loans) and some sailing that we really want to do when she finishes school in December. The way things are going, if we "get busy" with things right now, the bun would be ready to come out of the oven when we want to be setting up in the islands to see the rest of the pacific.

I dont want to risk sailing anywhere away from facilities for at least 6 months or so, and maybe that is pushing it? If only these things would develop faster. I offered to set up a lightbulb over Clares belly if she did get preggers to speed things up, but got shot one of those "thats not funny at all" looks from her! ;0) If you have a baby in antactica is it an Antarctican or a Antarcticer....
brian and clare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 22:39   #11
cruiser

Babies are deifinitely discouraged on the ice but pregnancy rates (& sometimes terminations) are frequent. We await with bated breath the results of our applications.
Old 19-11-2007, 22:59   #12

Boat: Eric Cox offshore 40ft cutter rigged sloop. named "Searcher" built 1965
Mate, go for it. What an adventure and you get paid???
I'd bite your hand off if you offered me the job....
And you can do your sailing a little bit later..
I say "DO IT", you're a long time looking at the lid.
Paul "Searcher"
searcher is offline   Reply With Quote