Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2009, 18:33   #16

Location: "Noosa" Australia, I am French by birth and Australian by choise.
Boat: 2 boats , a colson 21 and a bolger micro
Thumbs up name

[beamy and beautiful... aged in a good way and shipshape, as if she has always been taken care of! Not so sure about the name however ; -).... sort of... dogged, ya know?

You must let us know when you will be here, for how long, how we can help!

Sara[/QUOTE]

thank you Sara
yes the name indeed will have to go..
probably "Gitane " means gipsy in French..
but one thing at the time
i am in the process o fbooking my plane now , i should be coming mid february , i am going via NZ ,
And just find a nice woman to care for my dog and home for few months ..
thank you for your help
i will contact you when closer to the date.
i will probably this time stay for a week or so , maybe the time to see the boat out of the water if i like her.
and to organised an survey.
I have never been to SF , so i am really looking for that visit except it is summer here in Noosa
you can google NOOSA AUSTRALIA ,
will be cold in SF ?in february?

looking for to met you
catherine
Old 21-12-2009, 20:05   #17
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
February is chilly, unless it isn't... Hard to predict weather in SF! Plan on layers. Lows in the mid 40's, highs in the hi 50's most of the time but we can get warm stretches in February, up into the mid to high 70's. Heavy rain storms are likely that time of year as well. Sorry, we don't do much weather predicting around here, we just live with it as it comes. Summer is in September and October!

Sailing season doesn't really begin until later in the spring, but there will be days in February that will be beautiful out on the water, just not such reliable winds as at other times of the year. (wind is like clock work many months)

a neat hotel, very reasonable;
San Francisco SOMA Hotels | The Good Hotel, San Francisco | San Francisco Hotels

Would you like me to find a few surveyors recommended by sailors around here who know lots more than I do about who would be good, or have you got that covered?

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 23:13   #18

thanks

sara
i send you a private message
cathy
Old 05-01-2010, 13:17   #19

Boat: 43 Fountain Pajot Belize
Hi from Texas! I talked my husband into cruising and we're off hopefully this month. Single handing back to Australia...you're my hero. I've been sailing since I was 5 and not sure I could do it. I like to talk too much. I'd drive the dog crazy!!

MeckDC
MeckDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 16:00   #20

single handed

well personaly I find more tirring to explain to people the way i sail that to do it myself.
however , if i have experienced compatible person it is different, and maybe i was looking at the posibility to enter the transpact 2011.
i certainly prefere to sail long distance with a women crew , as beeing the skipper , soon or latter , the guys ( in my 30 years sailing experience) can not help themself and start to challenge my advices and instructions..
When i am paid to do the school , i do not care , i just take it , but on my own boat and my own cruise i don't want it , simple as that .
Old 05-01-2010, 17:32   #21

Boat: 43 Fountain Pajot Belize
I am curious to see how my husband handles me being the "captain" after some time. So far he's okay with it. So far he understands that I know much more than he does about sailing. However, he is a man...ego does get the best of them at some time. I find any crew can become troublesome regardless of sex. Even us women can become power needy..

Good luck in all you adventures.

MeckDC
MeckDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:23   #22

Boat: Wright 40 - 1977 build, ketch, 12 mts
Hi Cathy,

Sorry not to reply earlier, but we are currently landlocked! We (Ruth & Gillie) are two women circumnavigating on an Allied 40 and have so far crossed Caribbean and Pacific. Tuppenny is currently on the hard in Whangarei NZ and we are back in the UK, but have now booked our flights back to do repairs and get her ship shape for 1st Feb. Sorry not in CA, but our experience of USA yatchswomen and men was fantastic, all are so helpful and welcoming, so we are sure you will enjoy being there. all the best.
The Tuppenny Girls
S Y Tuppenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:36   #23

Talking

[Tuppenny is currently on the hard in Whangarei NZ and we are back in the UK, but have now booked our flights back to do repairs and get her ship shape for 1st Feb.

hello
i am actualy going to NZ before CA
i shall be in NZ , mid february
i will look at for you boat, as i am for sure going through Whangarei
looking for to met you both
Old 10-01-2010, 11:57   #24

Thumbs down

. Even us women can become power needy..

Good luck in all you adventures.

MeckDC[/QUOTE]

in my opinion , it is not about power
as any person has some great skills
it is for me more about respect, and been listen to and adknoledge
in my OWN boat , as My OWN house
i have over the year develop a certain practicality , logistique to make thing simple , ordered and low maintenance..
it is tiring to have to explain and show someone "the ropes"
to explain why i put my dinguie there and not overthere , ..why i fold this that way and not that way , ..ect..ect..why this must be always put back here after use ..ect ..ect..
i find that women tend to be more pratical when it come to my own logistique and order.
As i make clear from start that i am fussy about certain thing..and i do explain them very clearly.
I feel that i have a harder time with guys ( i have a son too , but he is well aware and train over the year about mum 's order and logistique)..I feel guys do not listen the same way that women, and they will try to always revers to their own ways..and thay end up too messy for me .
and as we say in French " may as well pissing in a violin' that wasting time talking and explaining again and again...
well so now i am tuff , it is my OWN hard earner , hard work boat , and if i feel they do not respect me or I feel they treat me with condessency. like their did to their mum or wife , well too bad .
find an other boat or home to stay, we can be mate , but to hard to have them around my boat or home to stay.
and because i rig a boat now to make less efforts and i am only cruising , it is a lot about thinking and preparing more than muscle power, so i can well do it alone or in good compagny..
i am just some will say becoming " an old chick" yes i do admit..so be it ..
Old 10-01-2010, 14:29   #25

[QUOTE=svHyLyte;376983]For what it's worth, my wife is a member of a Women's Sailing Associatation that she enjoys very much. Take a look at Women Aboard - THE Network for Women in Boating.

thank you , i go to check the web site now.
Old 19-01-2010, 14:28   #26

Boat: Ericson 35 Mk III
I agree with your opinion on sailing with men vs. women. I've raced with both and ladies just tend to be a little more relaxed about things and go with the flow more. Sorry guys, but women have more fun! :-)
I'm glad to talk to some other women captains out there. I am skipper of our boat by virtue of the fact that my husband is blind. We're planning on spending a couple of months in the Bahamas this spring.
Good luck finding a new boat. A transoceanic trip to Australia sounds awesome!
Jennifer
SVMorningStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2010, 15:15   #27

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Cathy--

We are Members of the Richmond Yacht Club, located in Brickyard Cove, and there are quite a few very active and knowledgable lady sailors in the Club. If you will PM me I will be happy to give you a few contacts that may be helpful for your visit to the SF Bay area.

Regards,

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2010, 17:50   #28

Boat: Choate CF 41' Millennium Falcon
Ahoy from a sailorette in San Diego! Hope you enjoyed SF, Cathy! I'm new to sailing...only about 5 months. We are in the process of moving aboard in the next few weeks! Am excited & a wee bit nervous about the transition.We are planning a 4 day trip to Catalina Island to get to know our new boat!
buxomwench8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2010, 19:56   #29

Location: Bristol PA, on the Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht club.
Boat: Oday 30, 4'11" draft
Oh... I'm on the "right coast" fair winds ladies! I'm so jealous my boat is on the hard!
DeniseO30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 23:58   #30

thanks you

thanks you all for your reply
i delay my trip , probably coming in march , because the weather is bad and still looking for a house sitter for my little dog