Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2014, 16:00   #16

Boat: 1978 Rafiki 35
Re: Anyone ever liveaboard with a terrarium?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
If you are just living aboard in the USA it would be fine. But start going to other countries where the Quarantine officials want to see the vaccination certificates....
Correct. Perhaps fine in local waters, but many countries will not take kindly to undocumented pets in a habitat enclosure or not, even if on boat. How many countries will let you walk off an airplane with a Chameleon in tow? Would better to leave at home then find out the hard way.
JerseyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 15:41   #17
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Then it would be a Lizard Lifeboat!

Then fix the clear capsule (Lizard Home) to a part of the rigging or deck (Does your boat have a mizzen mast?) and then let the lizard come and go as it wants. With suitable cat proof placement or smaller holes (big enough for lizard, not big enough for cat to enter), this capsule could be a cool way for the lizard to be seen and yet safe. Attach a bit of something to the outside of the capsule (near the entrance) to hold a small piece of food for flies, and then the lizard can come out for a bite of some fresh soft fruit or insects when it wants.

Of course the cat may find the lizard appetizing, but that is a different problem.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 18:37   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyJoe View Post
Would better to leave at home then find out the hard way.
Agreed, but like I said; hopefully a non-issue. By the time I'm wandering the vast blue, the little critter should be pushing up daisies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Of course the cat may find the lizard appetizing, but that is a different problem.
Lola (cat), would play with and kill Pascal (chameleon) given the opportunity - probably not to eat her, but just for giggles. I hear cats can be sadistic like that.

Pascal would probably love a chance to scale the main halyard... I don't think Lola would follow her up there. We could outfit her wandering eyeballs with some mini-binoculars and put her to work!

NorthernSeaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 22:35   #19

Boat: Sadler 25

How about gimballing the terrarium? I knew a family who sailed from US to Italy and back who had terrapins and they gimballed the tank.
triciarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 07:06   #20

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

=== Lola (cat), would play with and kill Pascal (chameleon) given the opportunity - probably not to eat her, but just for giggles. I hear cats can be sadistic like that ===

Ascribing human motivations to a cat is just plain silly.

Tags
liveaboard