Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2018, 08:01   #1

Boat: Sea Ray Laguna 16 Gemini 105M
Baby in their own hull?

My husband, our 1 year old and I are looking to purchase a catamaran, initially for long weekend/one week long cruises, but eventually to do long term cruising as long as everyone is comfortable and happy on board.

We're looking to take advantage of an accident of our little one's birth that means she won't start kindergarten until she is almost 6, to do a year of cruising when she is 5. Most catamarans we're looking at have one large cabin in one hull and two smaller cabins in the other hull.

Is 5 too young for a baby to have their own hull? Do hubby and I need to squish into the other small-ish cabin on "her side" of the boat?
knobhdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 08:24   #2

Boat: Maine Cat 38
Re: Baby in their own hull?

You will know when you get there.

Get a reasonably kid friendly boat and adapt from there. The bunk arrangement is less important than having a safe enclosed cockpit and a deck that is relatively free of hazards for a child. Also pay attention to getting in and out of the boat from a kids perspective
Sparx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 08:34   #3

Boat: Colegate 26
Re: Baby in their own hull?

My bedroom in my childhood house was quite far from my parents' bedroom. Much further than the width of a typical live aboard catamaran.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull