Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2009, 09:18   #1

Boat: Mariner 40 - Sea Trek
Question Bahamas Pet Advice Needed ASAP

If I sound like I'm rambling... I probably am at this point!

The family member that was to take our dog and cat for three months is now being transferred for their job.

Mouser, the cat, and Phil the pooch, both have all Vet paperwork, however, from what I have read, even faxed to the Bahamas it can take as much as 6 weeks for the permits to arrive, and they do not take credit/debit cards for payment.

We will be anchored out, Mouser would not be leaving the boat, and she is 13 years old. She has lived onboard since Sept and has adjusted very well, actually loves the boat life. Phil, would be going ashore. He also loves the boat… lol, if it has a place to sleep he can adapt to it!

Now the problem... we are set to leave Sunday, March 22, 2009... This coming Sunday! This was not a good time for a job promotion, but we are excited for them... : )

With this said do any of the experienced sailors out there have advice for me...

Many thank in advance

"Our sails are set with courage and determination to live our life as told by the heart." Not all adults are meant to be grown-ups. We are proof of that!!!
DAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 10:31   #2

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
You can pay a little more and have it expidited (15$) They say you should have a vet signoff within 24 hr but this is not an issue for boat pets but flying pets. Our dog Lucy is having a great time in the Bahamas. Just be carefull when walking in towns. Some "Potcakes" are very teritorial. Lucy was jumped in Marsh Harbor. We do not take here in town . Just to the beaches which seems to be ok with the other dogs.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 11:18   #3

Boat: Mariner 40 - Sea Trek
Thanks so much for the advice. My other concern is they do not take credit cards, or it wasn't mentioned on their website. How would I have it expidited without that service? Sorry, with leaving just a week away, my brain is fried... Am I once again missing something? Please take pitty on this sailor girl newbie and walk me through it.. : )

I do hope our babies will love it there as much as yours does...

"Our sails are set with courage and determination to live our life as told by the heart." Not all adults are meant to be grown-ups. We are proof of that!!!
DAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 13:13   #4

Has it changed? several years ago you just needed to get all the Vet papers right before you leave and then deal it when you check into the Bahamas...
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 13:32   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

From Noonsite:

Importation of Pets
An Import Permit is required from the Ministry of Agriculture, Trade and Industry. Applications for the permits, plus a $10 processing fee, must be made in writing to:
The Bahamas Director of Agriculture
PO Box N-3704
Nassau
The Bahamas
Tel: (242)325-7502/7509
Fax: (242) 326 3960 (send extra $5 if applying by fax)
Permit can be obtained on line at www.Bahamas.com 20REQUIREMENTS_FORM_070604.pdf

Allow enough time to receive the permit before leaving your home port.
For Pets coming from the US and Canada, dogs and cats must be:
1. Six months old or older;
2. Accompanied by a Certificate which states that the pet has been vaccinated against rabies within not less than 1 month and not more than 10 months prior to importation;
3. Accompanied by a Veterinary Health Certificate presented within 48 hours of arrival in the Commonwealth of the Bahamas to a licensed veterinarian for an examination.

Here's a link to the Noonsite page on Bahamas formalities:

Noonsite: Bahamas

TaoJones
Old 17-03-2009, 04:54   #6

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
DADAMS, With such a short window you should call the Bahamas Dept. of Agriculture in Nassau. They can fax the forms Their numbers are on the bahamas website. They are very helpful. You pay the $15 with an international money order. Have several copies of all documents. This is normally a 30 day thing but talk to them.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2009, 15:45   #7

Boat: Tashiba 40
We have flown into the airport in Marsh Harbour without the permit because they never sent it. I had to wait at the airport with the dog while Jeff got a cab and went down to the department of agriculture at the port and he paid the $10.00 fee. Just make sure you have that vet certificate and the rabies documentation. Yikes! I just saw you were flying in Sunday and I'm sure the office won't be open. Any chance you could change that until Mon.? Wait a minute, I just reread again. Are you coming in on a boat? If so you'll be fine, just have the necessary vet. certificate and rabies and be very nice to the people at the office.

Tags
asa, Bahamas