Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2011, 13:56   #46
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Cabin Comfort - Quilt / Duvet / Blanket ?

funny--my down quilts didnt "draw moisture" they were perfect in summer and in winter, damp and dry, under way and at anchor. i also use feather pillows.
i also have polyester fill pillows which are so much preferable to latex foam, which continuously bounces with very fine oscillations to each movement all night-- not a preferable pillow and latex DOES collect and grow black mold as well as have allergens.
fiberfill pillows are washable. latex are not. latex gives head and neck aches, fiberfill does not nor does feather.

i live board and have since 1990 -- i am a permanent cruiser.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 14:02   #47

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Down is lighter than wool, even cashmere. But wool retains 80% of its insulating value when wet. I do not think that down or any synthetic can match that.
Wool has the added advantage of acting as a fire blanket should the need arise. Every hand was issued one for that very reason when I served aboard.

It was white wool and heavy.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 20:47   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
funny--my down quilts didnt "draw moisture" they were perfect in summer and in winter, damp and dry, under way and at anchor. i also use feather pillows.
i also have polyester fill pillows which are so much preferable to latex foam, which continuously bounces with very fine oscillations to each movement all night-- not a preferable pillow and latex DOES collect and grow black mold as well as have allergens.
fiberfill pillows are washable. latex are not. latex gives head and neck aches, fiberfill does not nor does feather.

i live board and have since 1990 -- i am a permanent cruiser.
Agreed down quilts etc. are good, but they are an issue if they get wet. Hollowfil or Qualofil quilts are almost as good as feathers for insulation, and the bonus is they keep most of it when wet, albeit, they do not absorb moisture.

Moisture is your enemy when sleeping outside in -40. Both these products work exceedingly well for those extremes.
Old 02-11-2011, 21:53   #49
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i dont DO -40.btdt. i live in warmville. i sail warm water. is alll good. pair a dice is all it is cracked up to being.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:56   #50
Armchair Bucketeer

Mainly a sleeping bag - same one since early 1970's! (and I got that as a hand me down from former Step-Sister).

Topped up with a couple of synthetic throw overs, one is a very light quilt the other some "clever" synthetic - both surprisingly warm for weight........both bought on the basis that neither would be handed down generations as heirlooms (but that sleeping bag might be ).

Pillows I am fairly fussy on I have a couple of (fairly expensive ) camping / travel pillows that pack away small but are still "proper" pillows.......topped of with a real (synthetic) pillow - but that is about due for replacement, after a couple of years use (I might not be a Cruiser or liveaboard - but I manage nonetheless to get a lot of bunk time when onboard ).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:23   #51

Boat: Dudley Dix Hout Bay 33

Sailing NW Scotland year round we find that a synthetic Hollowfibre quilt works really well. It does not seem to smell damp or get mildew and is not difficult to wash / dry in a tumble dryer if really needed.
SteveT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 15:09   #52

Boat: Morgan 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey
Mainly a sleeping bag - same one since early 1970's! (and I got that as a hand me down from former Step-Sister).

Topped up with a couple of synthetic throw overs, one is a very light quilt the other some "clever" synthetic - both surprisingly warm for weight........both bought on the basis that neither would be handed down generations as heirlooms (but that sleeping bag might be ).

Pillows I am fairly fussy on I have a couple of (fairly expensive ) camping / travel pillows that pack away small but are still "proper" pillows.......topped of with a real (synthetic) pillow - but that is about due for replacement, after a couple of years use (I might not be a Cruiser or liveaboard - but I manage nonetheless to get a lot of bunk time when onboard ).
Bunk time is quality time, my friend. Can't get enough of that.
terra57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin