Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2010, 22:35   #31

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Ginger has rally impressed me lately. The Dr gave me a script that upset my stomach and then another that was supposed to help but didn't. Ginger changed everything. If my dog gets seasick I'll certainly try the ginger snap trick.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2010, 22:50   #32

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
While I would not recommend it for your dog, because of the sugar content, Vernor's Gingerale is a good soft drink for settling stomach upset, particularly motion sickness.
Old 15-07-2010, 03:24   #33
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kalik 40
Neon Green

Our dog was only ever sick at sea once. But since it was bright green, we reckon it had more to do with some stray grass she ate at the marina....
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 06:14   #34

Boat: 1982 Oday 34
It hasn't seemed to bother my dog at all yet, but she does sit up and look irritated when boat is heeled to where her bed is on the high side. She'd prefer it if we could keep a starboard tack the entire time.

Of course, I like to keep my dog prepared for rough seas by flipping a sheet over her head and shaking her around a bit.
Jetexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 08:34   #35
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kalik 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetexas View Post
Of course, I like to keep my dog prepared for rough seas by flipping a sheet over her head and shaking her around a bit.
Errr.... Sounds a bit strange.... Explain, please. Before I call the RSPCA!

I find that sailing with her keeps her prepared for rough seas....
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 13:24   #36

Hmmm.....nice prep
Old 28-09-2010, 13:43   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
The citing is from an article by Noel Dilly. Anyone with a normal ear. The short - a deaf/Mute institute took 70 inmates on a cruise and despite a storm none got seasick. Children less than 2 are immune, but more susceptible between 2 and 12. Interesting, excessively fit exercise freaks are susceptible to seasickness, but not space sickness. Mentions sex and race differences - woman 70% being more susceptible during pregnancy and menstruation. Asian races, chinese especially more susceptible, You also don't need to be awake to get seasick. May relate to evolutionary need for a neurotoxin release.
Interesting. All astronauts could probably be classified as 'exercise freaks', and fully 1/3 of all of them get space sick to one degree or another (some quite badly).

And I could understand if the deaf had congenital nerve deafness or inner-ear congenital dysmorphia having an effect on motion sickness, but others with traumatic nerve deafness (say, from loud noises) would still have susceptibility.

As far as dogs go, yes. Angel is a salty dog, for a siberian husky...but she still gets motion sickness in airplanes and boats (not in cars, but she gets to stick her face in the breeze).

What neurotoxin?
Old 28-09-2010, 16:03   #38
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"What neurotoxin? "
There is a theory that motion sickness has evolved because it serves an evolutionary purpose. You get sick on the boat, you run back to land, you stay at home and survive to breed.
No, really. The theory is that most animals will ingest neurotoxins at some point, from eating spoiled foods, toxic foods, nasty critters, and the like. A common symptom of that will be eye/ear discord and if you react by puking up whatever you just ate--you get rid of the toxins and stay in the gene pool.
Which does make sense, so while it is just a theory, it could be a logical explanation for why our bodies react so violently to "just" a little ear/eye discord.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 08:58   #39

Boat: a sailing boat
Yes, they do.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dogs