Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2011, 06:47   #16

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Cat Harness?

My Boo was 9 months when I got her. She had never had a collar or harness on her. I bought one for her and let her play with it for a couple of weeks before setting it on her during play time. During that week I put it on her without coupling the buckles. Then I buckled her in during dinner time. A few days later I hooked the lead on her and let her drag that around for a while.

Now she stands and lets me put her harness on her. She bows her head to get the neck loop over it and then lifts her legs one at a time so I can put them in the harness and buckle it up. Pretty good. Now if I could just teach her to make coffee for me in the morning.
Old 25-09-2011, 11:40   #17

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram
Why a harness? Seems most cats are better on there feet than people and when your sailing put them in lock up-if your worried- I would let mine run free- the biggest problum I can see is where ever you land there gonna want to jump ship- and get lost maybe
The harness isn't so much for on the boat as is for the process of getting to the boat. Every time I've flown with a cat they have made me take the cat out of the carrier to go through security at the airport. Once we are at the boat we will be spending some time in a marina as we outfit. I just want to be safe. Once we are on our way I don't think we will have any problems.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 11:57   #18

Boat: Beneteau 473
Thanks for all the great suggestions.

Rakuflames, the reflective tape is a great idea. I'm not sold on the idea the jacket thingy though, I think they would scrim out of them. I hadn't thought of a noodle, but thar would work great.

Zeehag, putting the harness on upside down is brilliant! You are right the first thing they do is lay down.

Osirissail, you gotta love teamwork! I don't think my two like each other enough to help each other.

I do worry about Lilly going overboard chasing a bird. We plan to spend some time teaching them how to get back in the boat. We also want their first dunking to happen in a little more controlled situation. Chloe loves the water and I think she can swim but I don't really know if either can.

Thanks again everyone,
Robyn
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 15:56   #19

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

Our Mickey is accustomed to a harness and leash. People can't believe it when we take him ashore on his leash. He's a big boy so we use a small dog harness, not the loop kind which he can wiggle out of.

However, he does not like those pet life jackets. Mickey is not allowed on deck without supervision. If he were to go overboard, our drill is to through him one of the cockpit seat cushions.

He will jump ship in a heartbeat at a dock though. We anchor out 99.9% of the time so this isn't an issue. At a dock, Mickey is in lock-down.
Old 14-04-2016, 22:33   #20

Hello! New here, and I can't seem to find out how to post a new thread. We're buying our first live aboard yacht and our cats will be with us. They are indoor/outdoor, and I was wondering how hard it is to transition from being free to go out when they want to being confined to a boat. We'll be docked mostly with only weekend trips out to the barrier islands in Mississippi/Alabama (we're on the gulf coast). The harbor master said just let them run around the docks, but I know they'll end up on another boat deck. That's a big no-no, in my book. Any advice? One is special needs with brain damage and 3 legs. I'm desperate for any help. Thanks!
GulfGal73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 22:35   #21

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Gulf Gal,

Nothing wrong with starting an old thread up again. Take a careful look at the preceding part of the thread, it seems as if a particular type of float-coat will help the cat keep its head out of the water, that's in one of zeehag's posts, and also the "figure of 8 harness" was discussed.

Slow acclimatization seems to be the key, and keeping it fun for the cat.

Good luck with it.

Ann
Old 27-05-2016, 20:16   #22

Hi all!
I've got a cat, who'll be joining me on my sailboat once I find one that suits my needs next summer. I love all the cat stories on here & was wondering if anybody has tried something I read about somewhere, using carpet remnant strips draped over sides & aft, so that if kitty should somehow go overboard there is something that she can grab onto and get back aboard.

I've also been considering using pipe insulation tubes, (or whatever the kid's swim toy of the same basic construction is called) towed behind the boat when underway if she wants to be on deck whilst sailing. Seems that way she'd at least have a chance if she fell off, as I worry about kitty in harness/life vest being dragged at speed by the line..

thoughts?

Thanks!!
Zephyrcat229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 01:09   #23

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Zephyrcat,

Well anything you drag after the boat will quickly accumulate sea life on it, barnacles and stuff which will add drag.

Honestly, if you go back through the thread, zeehag has been very active on FB about boat cats, and I'll bet all your issues are covered. I don't do FB myself, for personal reasons, but if you're cool with it, just look there.

Essentially, changes must be made fun for the cat, and check the safety issues.

Ann
Old 28-05-2016, 06:59   #24
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

facebook group gatos del mar, started by a cat, of all things...with his momms typo-ing skillesses.... he typos better than i do, btw---

https://www.facebook.com/groups/277701742402893/
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote