Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-09-2010, 14:24   #46

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Unfortunately, my boat is an active cruising boat and is on the move quite often in moderate to big seas. So the cat's litter box/pan has to be bolted down like everything else in the boat. I cannot have 10 lbs of cat litter box/pan flying across the cabin/interior. So using throw rugs, etc. is not possible as they would assist in allowing the litter box/pan to move. Life on a static live-aboard is quite different from an active cruising boat.
- - Even the cat's food bowls are built in and restrained from being able to fly around. They are located under the galley sinks and orientated close to the center of gravity of the boat so that the cat does not have to do a four legged Irish rag dance to eat when underway. See the photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CatFeederGalley.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	18976   Click image for larger version

Name:	CatChowTime.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	18977  

osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 17:04   #47
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
during my cruising of the gulf coast--onand off shore --we had many kinds f weather and many kinds of seas and a kat litter box solidly placed on the q-berth for bubby. nothing ever moved despite frequent storm activity and seas in the gulf. i am not sedentary. we cruised a perfromance cruiser for our cruising of the gulf -louisiana to dry tortugas--mixmaster seas and all. in my heavy displacement cruiser, so far have been fortunate to be able to keep it on the coach house roof, but will go into shower with plastic under for the passages in pacific, or he will be relegated to the forepeak, which is tool room and kat residence.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 17:27   #48

Boat: Ross 40, Marshall Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Unfortunately, my boat is an active cruising boat and is on the move quite often in moderate to big seas. So the cat's litter box/pan has to be bolted down like everything else in the boat. I cannot have 10 lbs of cat litter box/pan flying across the cabin/interior. So using throw rugs, etc. is not possible as they would assist in allowing the litter box/pan to move. Life on a static live-aboard is quite different from an active cruising boat.
- - Even the cat's food bowls are built in and restrained from being able to fly around. They are located under the galley sinks and orientated close to the center of gravity of the boat so that the cat does not have to do a four legged Irish rag dance to eat when underway. See the photo.
Never seen anything like that. VERY clever!
smithy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 17:33   #49

i like how you did the cat bowls--is cool--gives me an idea for dishes built into my formosa for bubby.
Old 19-09-2010, 01:34   #50

Boat: Leopard 40
Most of the flushable cat litter is much lighter and easier to store than regular clay cat litter.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 05:17   #51

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Maje View Post
Most of the flushable cat litter is much lighter and easier to store than regular clay cat litter.

Maje
The last thing you want to do is "flush" cat litter down your MSD/marine toilet and into your holding tank, if you have one. Also the very humid atmosphere on a boat could have a negative effect on this type cat litter.
- - Choice of cat litter is really a choice between whether you want fine grain, sand like, litter getting into your bilges and other compartments or you want to choose a bigger granule litter like the silica crystals.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 06:30   #52

I was referring to on land flushable cat litter. I would not flush cat litter of any type in a boat toilet. The cat litter we use is neither sand or granule.

Maje
Old 19-09-2010, 14:41   #53

i use the clumping flushable(on land) stuff also--i can store enough in my bilges for a year and not interfere with my food stowage or other stowage. i do not choose to do so. the perfrormance cruiser on which i sailed a near year had enough low and centered stowage for 2 jugs of litter. bubby uses 1 jug every month.
i know there is availability of litter in many countries to which we sail--so i dont worry tooo much about that.
also--while we were cruising actively we had dishes with rubber nonskid on them --they worked great--bubba doesnt like to have to stick his head into anything to eat-he is maine coon-- they have different ways of doing things...oriented to hunting and guarding and protecting.
Old 19-09-2010, 15:17   #54
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
For water I love this thing. Called a water boy. If I could, I would invest in stock with this company. Every traveling pet owner needs one. I tie it down with a lash to the table post.

They hold 3 qts, and don't spill. Flip em upside down and they don't spill. Rock and roll in big waves and they don't spill. They keep a low level in the blue bowl that replenishes as it's drunk down.

Honestly, boat or car they are just the cat's pajamas!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 15:21   #55

ok, sarafina--where did you find that--i want one--bubba just said he cant live without it---wow...he also said he dont wear any......uhoh.....
Old 19-09-2010, 15:21   #56
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
lol. bubba's a smart kat ; -)

http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=0&mscssid=41LHXBEVA3DL8N7BQCRP9QVD P46J8NPF&pf_id=0029269&cmkw=waterboy

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 15:33   #57

thankyou----
yes--he is --he is puuuurrrrfect!!! now if i could teach him to steer....
Old 19-09-2010, 23:56   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i use the clumping flushable(on land) stuff also--i can store enough in my bilges for a year and not interfere with my food stowage or other stowage. i do not choose to do so. the perfrormance cruiser on which i sailed a near year had enough low and centered stowage for 2 jugs of litter. bubby uses 1 jug every month.
i know there is availability of litter in many countries to which we sail--so i dont worry tooo much about that.
also--while we were cruising actively we had dishes with rubber nonskid on them --they worked great--bubba doesnt like to have to stick his head into anything to eat-he is maine coon-- they have different ways of doing things...oriented to hunting and guarding and protecting.
We have two cats and if I use the stuff in the jug we go through too much litter to carry on board until we get to someplace to buy litter. Depending of course on where we will sail. I live in both Germany and St Thomas right now. The natural cat litter is easily available in Germay and throughout Europe but not in St Thomas. Fortunately, the cats travel well and don't seem to care if things around them change.

Maje
Old 19-09-2010, 23:59   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
For water I love this thing. Called a water boy. If I could, I would invest in stock with this company. Every traveling pet owner needs one. I tie it down with a lash to the table post.

They hold 3 qts, and don't spill. Flip em upside down and they don't spill. Rock and roll in big waves and they don't spill. They keep a low level in the blue bowl that replenishes as it's drunk down.

Honestly, boat or car they are just the cat's pajamas!
I love that. Thank you.

Maje
Old 23-09-2010, 18:51   #60

Boat: 1978 44 foot Camper & Nicholsons Ketch
Thanks Sarafina for the 'Waterboy' link! You have saved our boys from drinking out of the guinea pig water dispenser I was trying to train them to drink out of when under way...the 'Waterboy' is MUCH better!
High Heels is offline   Reply With Quote