Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2011, 15:34   #1

Childcare While Cruising ?

Hi there,
I'm totally new - in all aspects of this! And very excited at the idea!

One thing I haven't found on the forums is how to find child care now and then while travelling. Do you meet up with other families and then trade off, giving each other an adult-only night out? Do use get recommendations for local babysitters from other families? Concierge services from nearby hotels that make recommendations? Something ele?

I love kids! And, I also love a break now and then!

Thanks!
Jo-Anne
JBrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 15:59   #2

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
Re: Childcare while cruising?

I know some folks trade babysitting with one another. I'm sure there are some folks who use local sitters/concierge recs but I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that myself. I'm a worry wart, I know this.
+
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 16:04   #3
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Gotta say, we haven't needed child care while traveling for about 9 years now, but we were always very happy asking at the hotels and arranging for care with someones sister or mother at the hotel.

We found the nicest people. Used em again on occasion when we returned to a place.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 16:05   #4

Boat: 40 ft Cheoy Lee S/V Sun Chaser

We moved on our boat when our son was 10 year old. When we would arrive in a harbor we would get on the radio and just ask for kids his age to give us a shout. He ended up making friends with kids on other boats and we would trade evenings and afternoons with the other families.
All the moms in each harbor would also agree about school times. We found that once one kid got out of school and got on the radio anyone else doing school lost interest. You'll find that there is a lot of support with cruising families.
Sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 18:01   #5

Re: Childcare While Cruising ?

Wow! Thanks for the quick responses! Sounds like it can be pretty eeeeeeeaseful! Perfect!
JBrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 19:23   #6
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrenner View Post
Hi there,
I'm totally new - in all aspects of this! And very excited at the idea!

One thing I haven't found on the forums is how to find child care now and then while travelling. Do you meet up with other families and then trade off, giving each other an adult-only night out? Do use get recommendations for local babysitters from other families? Concierge services from nearby hotels that make recommendations? Something ele?

I love kids! And, I also love a break now and then!

Thanks!
Jo-Anne

I wouldn't take a recommendation from a concierge desk, and here's why: it's their job to provide you with what you need. You need a babysitter, they find a body -- even if they have to scrape the bottom of the barrel. We used a recommended babysitter once. The next time my 15 month old daughter saw her, she screamed in terror. I can't tell you how chilling it was to see that. We'll never know what happened. She's 31 now and it still haunts me.

Creative swapping with another couple, especially if you're talking about an overnight trip ... good way to go. If you use a hired babysitter -- get more than one recommendation on that person.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:17   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver47 View Post
I'd suggest waiting until your child is older to cruise, or making childcare arrangements while you're away. A cruise ship might not be the best environment for an 8-month old infant. I personally use cozytime service.
This thread last had a post in 2011 so I don't understand why you have just posted to it, or was it to just advertise your local child care center.

Also why did you mention a cruise ship, folk on these forums by and large have yachts and motor cruisers.

Peter
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:41   #8

Yeah. I think you're in the wrong forum, Oliver47. This not about cruising on cruise ships. It is about cruising around in relatively small, privately owned boats.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising