Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 15:59   #1

Boat: Steel cutter 46 feet ISOLA BIANCA II
Send a message via Skype™ to agennai
Crossing Atlantic with Toddler

we're preparing our first atlantic crossing with our daughter (2 and half yrs old). we started from sardinia and arrived in Lanzarote and this first experience has been quite good but ....20 days will be different!!!!!
anyone could tell us his experience about it?
we 're plenty of doubts in relation of her behavior during the 20 days crossing!
any your experience will be helpful for us
fair wind
ale lu e blu
Old 11-09-2011, 16:16   #2

Boat: Camano Troll 31'
Re: crossing atlantic with toddler

Keep her cool, she will get cranky if she is hot. Have plenty for her to do, plenty of liquids to drink. Plenty of her favorite foods. Pay a lot of attention to her, play with her. Everything you promised to do the second you got her home from the hospital.
Old 11-09-2011, 16:21   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Talk to the bumfuzzles; they were dealing with their little one also.

bumfuzzle.com
Old 11-09-2011, 16:36   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Help from the boat fairy...

I came across this articles about getting the boat fairy to hide parcels from the two dollar shop all over the boat.

I'd include a few sweets as well. Or maybe nuts and dried fruit to save on later dentists' bills.

Don't know how long before a smart kid figures it out. Better hide the stash well...
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 17:58   #5

Hi agennai, We had 3 kids on the boat but no toddlers - we had a baby, 6 year old & nine year old. The baby was easy because he was too young to walk and stayed in the bassinet being rocked to sleep by the rolling trade wind swells or in Mummy's arms; and the 6 year old became a monkey in the rigging, sure footed and confident, very quickly. We, of course had PFD's (lifejackets) on the kids pretty much most of the time and during the night or rougher weather, they were tethered to a strong point.

20 days at sea is long for an adult not just the kids! You don't mention what safety/tether system you have in place for your 2 and half year old? If it is just the two of you parents and your toddler on board, I strongly advise a custom light weight webbing harness that fits well and is permanently on your toddlers torso; you can then clip or unclip the tether from the harness quickly to the jackstay or other strong point. Also recommend netting covering the lifelines. You guys are going to be busy keeping watch for 20 days and an inquisitive toddler can easily slip overboard. So that's the safety aspect...

As for keeping a toddler entertained for 20 days at sea?!? Well, everything said in previous posts but I would add - fishing with Mum & Dad, catching the flying fish that will land on deck, lots & lots of reading to her/him, looking at the stars at night and making up stories, etc.

I think it's fantastic you are taking your toddler on a wonderful experience. It's also a very healthy environment - there are no viruses to catch from other humans at sea! Good luck.

Surfer Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 18:38   #6

Boat: Catalina 42 Pacific cruise to Australia

We had our boy onboard by 10 days old, sailing by 6 months in the Atlantic...Gib to Azores to UK. Then down to Canaries and across to Caribbean. My wife set up the saloon floor like a playpen, lots of toys, things to do... there would be DVDs to show these days too to give mum a break. Naps and sleep time was bliss for mum. Fix a childs car sea securely to prehaps the bulkhead,down low on the floor, great for feeding and any difficult weather encountered. Good luck, it's not easy but the life is great for kids!
Jamel is offline   Reply With Quote