Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2021, 09:37   #16

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel
Re: Cruising with (or without) a dog

If you really love dogs as we do, you take them. I can be done it is difficult at times but dogs are worth it. Most of the naysayers are overstating it by a lot. The Bahamas are easy, just plan well ahead for the permit it takes weeks to get. Other Caribean countries are a crap shoot and some like St Lucia are just a no-go place for dogs. Do the research work, it's not that hard. By the way, a sun awning on the deck is all she needs and water. she'll guard the boat and have the run of the deck. She doesn't need to be locked up inside. Personally, I took my dog everywhere. If a restaurant didn't want us, I just moved on. Russ
Old 15-06-2021, 09:48   #17

Boat: KP 46

Sailing with a dog is a LOT easier than sailing with kids.

I sailed around the world with a dog, he added pleasure and company to the adventure, and I was happy to have him with me.

Border Collies... They are like having an intelligent 3 year old aboard. It will be very beneficial for your dog to learn to swim. I have Border Collies and they swim every day they can when aboard. Good exercise and fun for them.

You have to be 100% for this, otherwise you will find yourself resenting having your dog with you, Border Collies are very sensitive to the emotions of the humans they care about and it will not be a fun time for them or you.

Again, if you can sail with kids, Border Collies will be easy.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2021, 09:49   #18

Boat: Grumman 17, Catalina 22

Should have gotten a parrot instead.
Beavereater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2021, 09:52   #19

Boat: Vancouver 27'

I received similar and equally varied responses to my decision to travel with a dog.

My first trip was from the West coast of the US across Europe, to the Mid-East and back.

Doom and gloom poured down in advance.

It was a 1 1/2 year trip and not only was the dog not a problem, he opened doors to tons of people who wanted to meet an American dog and an American who traveled with a dog.

40 years later I moved to Europe. Just as travel for people is no longer free wheeling and easy. Travelling with a dog has also gotten more complex.

You have to know the rules of each country you will be visiting and adjust to their requirements.

You will need to go to a US Federal Veterinarian and get the dog approved on top of your own vet. You must meet vaccination and transport time frames.

In Europe, you go to a vet with all your papers and get a Pet Passport. You can travel within the EU freely then. Harriet has travelled in Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Romania, Hungary and Slovenia.

So it is doable, but takes planning and scrupulous attention to detail.

Moving from country to country, in and out of the Schengen zone and juggling pet vaccinations and rules might be too much to handle. A trip to one or two locations should be doable.

You need to talk to people who actually travel with pets in the same place and manner as you. People who have never cruised with a pet feel free to comment but generally have no clue.

Where you are going. Your ability to commit and prepare are the keys.
sepharad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2021, 10:05   #20

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

The year after we moved aboard we adopted a very neurotic rescue dog. It's been five years now and this is what I've learned:

(first the disclaimer - she weighs 5 lbs so I have no advice about heavy dogs)

The dog will do anything to be with you. That includes holding onto bodily functions for (our record) 19 hours. He/she is the dog, you are the Person. If you want to train the dog to go on deck do not give into whining, pleading, begging to go on land. The dog will not kill itself by holding it until nature demands that she go on deck. Eventually she will. Praise lavishly and she'll get the picture. Rinse and repeat.

Exercise is good for you both. Running, playing in the surf, climbing rocks will tire you both out.

As for leaving the dog aboard for short forays to land. There were dogs in Death Valley and the Sahara regions before there was air conditioning. 12 volt fans for air circulation and lots of water and shade. In very hot climates you will both feel it and then gradually acclimate. My dog has severe separation anxiety which puzzled me as I never saw it before. I now give her a product called Honest Paws Calm full spectrum hemp cookies with 5mg of CBD. She just lays right back like a hippie in the 60's. We don't leave her for more than 2 hours though.

She's brought far more happiness than I'd have guessed 5 pounds of canine ever could. The boat is home, land is really for pooping and smelling other dogs and then she's ready to head back to the boat.

Is it work? Yes. But then so is the family and it's worth it, right? Good luck
Old 15-06-2021, 10:11   #21

Boat: Currently in between

We, this past year, finished up three years on a catamaran sailing the Bahamas and the eastern Caribbean with a Black Lab. He is a very smart dog and within one day he knew the starboard sugar scoop was his place to go, both pee and poop. I kept a hose connected to the raw water wash down and would spray the scoop sending his deposits into the deep blue! He would even use the second step on the scoop to pee and poop while on passage but he is so smart he wouldn't go near it unless clipped in and someone was holding the leash. There was no chance of him falling overboard.

The islands of the Caribbean were not an issue with the dog or the two cats. The Bahamas were the hardest considering the shots, testing and required paperwork. Maybe having all that documentation made the other islands easy?

The dog and cats would stay on the boat when we went ashore but we always left every "rain proof" (Ha) port open as well as the salon door leading to the cockpit. lots of ventilation available and the temperature was always fine. We as humans were in and out of the salon and cabins all day with the same ventilation setup and it was never unbearable.

Security? Nothing better than a barking do to scare nefarious people away so we never had an issue leaving Bacchus open while going ashore.

Please don't ask me about all the black hair..
Old 15-06-2021, 10:16   #22

I’m sorry but you chose the wrong dog. I feel like any dog on a boat is a bit of a shame for the dog. A cat maybe but dogs need dirt, grass, leaves, concrete. Land. But, there is an option, you need to find a keeper that can take the dog for those months. (Not easy with that kind of dog). Sorry don’t take this as rude it’s not intended to be, but I can’t figure out why people buy working dogs who don’t need them for work.
SV WELDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2021, 10:20   #23

Boat: Gozzard 36

Air travel will not be a problem...you can train your dog to do its “business” on board ... for exercise and stimulation, put a large ring on your jack line and attach a short leash to the ring running to a harness on your dog and it will be able to safely travel the length of your boat on its own.....boat life will keep it from becoming bored and will help replace less physical activity..... many marinas do not welcome dogs onboard cruisers and have restrictive rules as to where you can take them, barking etc .... also no getting around the fact that island animal quarantine requirements will severely restrict your travels, so in order to visit some destinations you will have no choice but to board the dog somewhere else.... we sailed with our Brit (high energy dog) and had her on board (mostly at marinas) for up to 3 months at a time for 13 years....for us the companionship and entertainment easily compensated for the inconvenience ....also if you intend to do long distance cruising (ie more than 5 days at sea at a time) or spend most of the time at anchor then I suggest that it might be too difficult for your dog but if (like most people) your cruising is for short hops to stay and explore different destinations then you should be able to handle having a dog as a cruising companion ....good luck
foothillsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2021, 10:26   #24

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

As others have mentioned, some places are easier to travel with a dog than others. And it all depends on the dog. Our standard poodle loves the boat. His high energy spazz moments mostly disappear on the boat as he burns so much energy looking at everything around us and smelling all of the fresh air blowing by. So he sleeps even more than he does at home.

For us, trips generally start and end at home, so dog transport is easy. Just transfer between house, car, and boat. We do really need to add a dinghy to the stable, however, as without it, we have to leave Xander with family if we want to spend a night at anchor (due to no way to get him to land). So for now, when traveling with him, we plan trips where we can easily and affordably be at a dock every night so we can just walk him right off the boat.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2021, 10:31   #25

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Do you have any relatives who love dogs? Who would like to be foster parents for a border collie? My brother&sister-in-law lived aboard (at anchor, not under way) for a year with a dog and they nearly got divorced, and they did sell the boat and move ashore after a year. No way in hell I would try cruising with a dog, but others may have different views.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2021, 10:48   #26

I can’t wait to read the responses. We are taking our 10 pound Maltese with us. The dog is mine and I worry about him getting sunburn and having to wait outside grocery stores for my husband by myself with the dog. I worry about the madding. I think my dog would be best to stay with me though. I don’t think anybody would make him as happy as being with us. My daughter has a border collie and I know the energy level.
erinsbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2021, 11:12   #27

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

There's pros and cons to a dog on-board. You don't have to worry about theft, which is a real issue in some areas. Yes, they are work, but they are fun too...
check out...
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2021, 11:16   #28

Boat: Chamberlin 12.4m

Hey Capnmatt,
We’re on a very similar journey, in some respects, but a little further along the way.
We’rea family of 4 plus a Border Collie and we’ve had our 42 ft cat for 6 months, say a quarter of that living onboard.
So far so wonderful.
The dog loves being on the boat.
We haven’t traveled too far yet, but when we have it’s worked out ok dog wise. One walk a day is enough.
A cat has plenty of room, and Dog is plenty Active and entertained.
No seasickness
He uses the mat when needed.
Basically, he’s happy just being with us all the time.
I’m sure there will be challenges, but just work it out as you go.
You’ll be right.
On edit, I guess your area of cruise is way different g from ours and involve flights and borders, but still, have a go.
seaskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2021, 11:19   #29

Boat: Norseman 400

In the seven years we've been cruising in Mexico, we have met one - ONE - well behaved dog.

He was a German Shepherd cruising with a couple and their two children. The dog appeared (to me) to be military or police trained. He was a wonderful dog. His presence was noticed, but he wasn't in everyone's face. He followed quiet voice commands and hand signals perfectly. As in ALL THE TIME.

He didn't bark incessantly at seagulls. If you did hear him bark in a quiet anchorage at night, you knew to stick your head out and look around.

He was beach potty trained and the owners never failed to pick it up and cast it into the water or into the desert. He didn't eat dead animals on the beach. He had a job to do - protect his family - and did it superbly.

Most people "think" their dogs are well behaved, but they aren't. Their dogs act like spoiled two-year-olds and insist on being the center of attention, and their owners gleefully comply.

Some owners don't think twice about asking to bring their dog aboard. (No, I don't want your dog's hair and fleas on or inside my boat.) If they leave them in the dinghy, they bark non-stop and the owners constantly tell them to "hush" or "shut up." It's plenty annoying.

We are not anti-dog. We had a farm for Pete's sake - complete with dogs, cats, birds, rabbits, chickens, turkeys, goats, horses, and cattle. We love domestic animals. Just not on a freakin' boat. Leave the dog at home. Enjoy cruising without babysitting. You've earned it.

The only animals we really enjoy seeing now are the wild ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4159a.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	234.8 KB
ID:	240411  
Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2021, 11:38   #30

Thanks for all of the great feedback! I quoted a few replies that I will address below, but appreciate all of the suggestions, ideas, and warnings. Sounds like at minimum it would be a logistical challenge to take our dog cruising, but not impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
You all had a dream to cruise part time, then the family unanimously decided to get a high energy dog. This sounds more like the family attempting undermine the dream. Is your wife as into as she says she is? Kids don't hatch such plans, but are VERY impressionable.

Best of luck with a restless, high energy bread in tight quarters. You're going to need it.
This though has crossed my mind, but I think it was more an emotional decision for them due to Covid, everyone else getting a dog, and the fact that our King Charles Cavalier had just died. My wife and kids have always had the attitude that you can do it all things will just work out, so I probably didn't do enough to show them how getting a new dog will impact our plans. I will admit that sailing is probably more important for me than for the rest of my family, but they all do really like sailing. That said, regardless of whether we sail or travel in other ways, my wife has the travel bug as well so I think she just didn't completely think things through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OS2Dude View Post
You did not mention how old your kids are or if they will accompany you. If they are old enough to stay ashore while you and your wife are gone, they can keep the dog. Or a friend who likes dogs can board your dog while gone. We enjoy sailing with our dog, but we just sail locally. Transporting an animal to other countries will likely be a major hassel.
By the time we start cruising our oldest will be just finishing college and our middle will be just about to start. Our youngest will be in high school, but has expressed interest in joining us - we will see. They will all at least come down from time to time, but we realize that they are too old now to drag along with us if that's not what they want. That said, I don't think any of them would be in a position to take care of the dog. It is a thought that I entertain, but not count on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMLS View Post
Better still, take the dog and leave the wife behind. thumb:
That would be very poetic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmikem View Post
Sailing with a dog is a LOT easier than sailing with kids.

I sailed around the world with a dog, he added pleasure and company to the adventure, and I was happy to have him with me.

Border Collies... They are like having an intelligent 3 year old aboard. It will be very beneficial for your dog to learn to swim. I have Border Collies and they swim every day they can when aboard. Good exercise and fun for them.

You have to be 100% for this, otherwise you will find yourself resenting having your dog with you, Border Collies are very sensitive to the emotions of the humans they care about and it will not be a fun time for them or you.

Again, if you can sail with kids, Border Collies will be easy.

M
I love sailing with my kids so I guess I would really love sailing with my dog . But, your comment about Border Collies being so tuned into us rings true and I just worry that there would be too many situations that could create anxiety for us and therefore her. Maybe we need to get on a boat more locally and see how she does and then go from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV WELDER View Post
I’m sorry but you chose the wrong dog. I feel like any dog on a boat is a bit of a shame for the dog. A cat maybe but dogs need dirt, grass, leaves, concrete. Land. But, there is an option, you need to find a keeper that can take the dog for those months. (Not easy with that kind of dog). Sorry don’t take this as rude it’s not intended to be, but I can’t figure out why people buy working dogs who don’t need them for work.
I appreciate your comment. I agree that we chose the wrong dog for cruising. However, other than that we were fully aware of what is involved with having a working dog. We've had two border collie's in the past and after our King Charles I can't imagine having any other breed than a border collie. Although we don't technically work the dog on a ranch or farm, we keep her busy with plenty of jobs, walks, runs and play time. She is a well cared for dog. That said, if it does come down to finding an alternate home for her we certainly would look for a working environment with an owner that is experienced in owning working dogs.

There was also a post that asked about our cruising plans that I was going to quote but forgot. In answer to that one, we would start out with the boat down in the Caribbean for a couple years, then possibly move to the Med or South Pacific. All problematic locations in terms of the logistics of getting to the boat and then back home with a dog. We live in Washington State...

Thanks again!
capnmatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising