Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2011, 18:20   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corbin 39
Re: Disappointing Broker

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
Hopefully it was just a case of someone having pee- peed in his corn flakes or you picked the one day he needed someone to cut him some slack. Shake the dust from your sandals and move on as they say.

No, it is a regular problem with boat brokers, sure, there are some decent ones, but so far from what I have experienced a large number are pr*cks, strangely we have found the most difficult brokers have been from the USA which is a country of great marketing and PR skills in most departments! I feel for the OP, and lets not forget some unfortunate seller who has no idea that he may just have lost a sale because of an ignorant idiot! I feel for all the sellers who trust these brokers to sell thier boat! What is quite funny is that many brokers will be reading this thread.......and then perhaps sending the OP a private message ! I would love for one or 2 of you to speak up and defend what you do and the behaviour of some in your industry!
pablothesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 18:21   #17

Boat: grampian 26

If I was a broker I would want my potential customers to have done his/her homework. Walking into a brokers office with the simple statement " I want to buy a boat" doesn't really work for anyone does it? Ask yourself how many times this guy has had to trudge down the same dock to show the same boats to the same people who really have no idea what they really need let alone what they want. A good broker will bend over backwards to get you the boat you want if you are specific as to what you want and are willing to work with them.
I am not a broker but I believe that when tarring it is best to use a narrow brush.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 19:03   #18

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest

I purchased my current boat Through Tim Wilbricht @ Annapolis Yacht Sales. I knew the boat it was an easy sale, but Tim Handled everything in a timely, courteous, professional manner...I would use him again.
I visit Annapolis often to visit friends in the yacht basin...I pop in on Walczak Yacht brokers all the time (without an appt.) to see what's out there and often run into Frank Gary..who's always been liberal with his time and willing to show me anything they have listed locally.
Old 30-07-2011, 19:42   #19

Boat: PETERSON 44
I remember that attitude. I knew pretty close what I was looking for so I drove out to see 3 listed. Early Saturday . Now I work for a living so I'm wearing my jeans my hands are callused I'm in a truck. One guy blew me off broker in Eastport Annapolis. There was a guy over at crusader who was a sailor he gave me the keys came by followed up. We talked about the boat. Then my surveyor went and did the same thing the surveyor I think was manning went and looked at the other boats. So he could give me a full understanding of the market for the same product. I really was stunned that the surveyor went this extra mile.I still today think the first step to buying a higher end boat is finding a surveyor that will work with you and you like. The good ones know boats they know the brokers and can point you to some options. I knew what i wanted had caudh in hand and a few guys acted like you describe. Your going to get a survey prior to buying unless you aren't insuring. So go find ansurveyor you really like. Most likely they have seen clan find the boat your looking for. Check their references just likecyou would any contractor you hire.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 19:59   #20

Boat: 1999 IP40, Charbonneau

Perchance...The difficulty for new boaters is NOT knowing what homework is required before entering the brokers office. I for one had no idea, but I knew we were interested in buying a boat. Fortunately for us, several brokers took the time to show us different boats and briefly explained their distinctive characteristics. That information helped us narrow the search.

Bill
bchaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 20:09   #21
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

...I am being the devil’s advocate now and will suggest that “Time Management” is a double edged sword that deserves the same courtesy you would expect of your own time.

Asking if you had made an appointment or had previously communicated the details of your search with another broker on staff, is not being rude… it is being specific!

To make the best use of your time, I would recommend the following:

1 ... Email every brokerage company in your search area with an introduction of yourselves and boating experience, detail explanation of what you hope to find, purpose of boat and if you are new and undecided about basics like Power vs Sail then your understanding of the pros and cons with a request for advice.

2... Decide which Broker responds most intelligently to your search engine with some examples and make an appointment to look at his listing files so as to shortlist and get to know each other.

This gives the broker a chance to prepare for you, shows that you are at least organized (if not serious) and respectful of each others time.

I think that is how most of us would search for a house.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 20:20   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchaps
Perchance...The difficulty for new boaters is NOT knowing what homework is required before entering the brokers office. I for one had no idea, but I knew we were interested in buying a boat. Fortunately for us, several brokers took the time to show us different boats and briefly explained their distinctive characteristics. That information helped us narrow the search.

Bill
Your probably going to hire a surveyor go find the surveyor first. Unless you want to deal with brokers fall in love and then get a survey because you need it. Seems ass over tea kettle not to have a surveyor on board first. I worked in the boating industry for years had above average water under my keel. So I was pleasantly surprised that my surveyor knew something's i didn't. He also brought market perspective which I didn't have. I could add up refit costs repair costs etc.. He brought another chip to the table. My boat is insured so I needed his work anyway. If I ever decide I need another boat cant imagine that i would start by finding a surveyor like manning first then go talk with brokers.
Old 30-07-2011, 20:27   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Like all businesses, do not go back to the ones that treat their customers and potential customers like dirt.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 20:41   #24

That's fair pelagic. But a lot of brokers can be dismissive. All they have to say is could you come back at noon or next weekend. On one boat I looked at the broker never returned calls. Then apologized it felt like I was a pain the ass tire kicker.your right be ready to wait. Some of the up front stuff at brokers is really bad. Maybe the client base is so diverse and demandingbtheybhave lost their tact.
Old 30-07-2011, 21:32   #25

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

My experience has generaly put me down on all boat brokers and most of the boats I've sold and aquired have been done privately. However, one broker who really went out of her way sticks in my mind.
She was from the PNW and in San Diego looking at a several boats for a client and happened to stop at ours and asked if she was for sale. I replied no but she said she had a client who may be interested in ours. So we talked a bit about condition and price, she took some pictures and left without listing ours but called me a week later to say she had talked to her client and he wasn't interested.
We sold our boat privately several months later and because we were driving to Canada, we called her to say hello. She, of course, had several listings and asked if we would like to have a look at them.
Long story short, we bought one of her listings and took the boat from Seattle up the BC coast then back to San Diego and cruised and lived aboard her for 5 years. There are good brokers out there... you just need to search them out.
After all the bad I've had to say about brokers, it is refreshing to have something good to say about this one... we are still friends! Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 21:48   #26

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
If I was a broker I would want my potential customers to have done his/her homework. Walking into a brokers office with the simple statement " I want to buy a boat" doesn't really work for anyone does it? Ask yourself how many times this guy has had to trudge down the same dock to show the same boats to the same people who really have no idea what they really need let alone what they want. A good broker will bend over backwards to get you the boat you want if you are specific as to what you want and are willing to work with them.
I am not a broker but I believe that when tarring it is best to use a narrow brush.
I had no opportunity to describe what I am looking for. He started talking down to me, it sounded like he was showing how manly he was deriding a woman in front of the couple, going down a the list one would go down if you wanted to embarrass someone, right from the start. I never had a chance to say anything like I am looking for a 37 IP or similar for about $100,000. To me it sounded like he did not want me as a customer. So I turned around and left.
Old 30-07-2011, 22:08   #27

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

good move, Me-and-Boo... he didn't deserve your business! Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 22:11   #28
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

I too have had many bad experiences all over the US. Seems like a bad attitude is a prerequisite for brokerage here. At our yard here in the PNW we quit doing work for several local brokers because they were always asking us to half-ass repairs. Then they would get upset when we would refuse. "Just make it LOOK good" was the common attitude. They never wanted to pay for proper repairs. It got to the point where it made it into the yard lingo. A "Broker" fix is a half-assed repair, as in just bondo and paint. We don't do that kind of work would get us screamed at by the brokers every time. You know, the customer is always right speech. Not in our business. We reserve the right to do it the right way or tell people to walk. We warranty our work...
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 03:43   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corbin 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
...I am being the devil’s advocate now and will suggest that “Time Management” is a double edged sword that deserves the same courtesy you would expect of your own time.

Asking if you had made an appointment or had previously communicated the details of your search with another broker on staff, is not being rude… it is being specific!

1 ... Email every brokerage company in your search area with an introduction of yourselves and boating experience, detail explanation of what you hope to find, purpose of boat and if you are new and undecided about basics like Power vs Sail then your understanding of the pros and cons with a request for advice.

2... Decide which Broker responds most intelligently to your search engine with some examples and make an appointment to look at his listing files so as to shortlist and get to know each other.

This gives the broker a chance to prepare for you, shows that you are at least organized (if not serious) and respectful of each others time.

Not True.......example, I was on a flight to Madrid from London in 2005, I read an article in the Times newspaper about a place called Royal Arsenal near Greenwich, Henry V111 had his armoury made there, these buildings had now been converted into Apartments (Condos), at the time I was renting in London, but decided to have a look around, I had no set plans to buy, just wanted to ¨browse¨, I did not even make an appointment, on arrival I was treated well, offered Coffee and biscuits and shown around, 3 hours later I paid 1000 pounds deposit on a 2 bedroom penthouse duplex over looking the Thames and completed 3 weeks later, I had no crap from the Broker, Sales guy.......he was fantastic! He had no idea whether or not I was a ¨Tyre Kicker¨, but he treated me well and with respect, the OP was not treated the same way! Another poster here gives a wonderful example of common curtesy with the story of the female broker asking if he wanted to sell his boat and how polite she was, so much so that in the future they called by to her office to ¨browse¨....and ended up buying!!!! I myself am traveling to Puerto Banus (A Marina, Marbella, Costa Del Sol, Spain) on Tuesday as I have a none boat related meeting, Im not sure how long my meeting will be, but I plan to ¨browse¨ the boats afterwards (dont forget there are boat privately for sale), I may look in a brokers window.......If something catches my eye who knows what might happen......One thing thatis 100% certain, If the broker was to treat me the way the OP was reated there would be no way I would consider any time of dealing with him...........that is what this thread has been about from the start, treating people with respect.......... blast, you see, you have got me going now......
pablothesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 04:11   #30

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post

I think this is very good advice. I've always found when I take a professional approach to something I tend to get a professional response ... not always, but the great majority of the time. Obviously, everyone should be treated with respect but there is always a tendency to stereotyping by both sides. Maybe the broker was not on his best behavior or maybe he saw something in you that said "not serious". I think if you try Pelagic's advice you will have a much better result.

I am curious about one thing ... did you try another broker's office or did you give up at that point? Have you tried any of the other positive suggestions offered here?

If you are still looking for referrals PM me I can recommend a very good broker in Annapolis.