Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2014, 05:44   #16

Boat: Pearson P30 30 ft
Re: DIY Reupholstery questions

yes you are right about the 1/2" being need for support on my chairs, but a 1/8" staple will not even penetrate a folded piece of your fabric. Plywood 1/8" thick would probably have to be purchased at a hobby shop (not cheap) and not in the size you need I've never seen less than 1/4" at lumber yards or HD, or Lowes. Besides when you sit on the top it pulls on the sides and 1/8" would curl like wet lasagna.
I am just offering an opinion but I have spent 42 years in many phases of home building, rebuilt an entire 35' Chris Craft including made new decking with caulking grooves,rebuilt 2 engines and installed them. Restored 3 antique autos and upholstered them. I do not want this to sound like an I did I I I rant, just want to be clear I do know a little about this and I hate to see people waste time and money.
The staple must not only go through the fabric it must go through (come out the other side)of the wood on anything under 3/8".
You might be able to get away with 1/4", but 3/8" would be better, but I will use 1/2"birch ply the US made stuff has exterior glued plies. Do not use cheap sheeting plywood (that wavy, curled stuff you see at HD) or you will have wavy bases.
wsulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 05:55   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Indeed this a VERY dark purple job here too.... More plumb than magenta...

Dudes get very excited about machines that boast the word "sail" imbedded in the brand name, and delight at improbable images of running 1/2" plywood under the foot....

That being said, the plywood idea is brilliant... It is how every ski boat I've owned was done from the factory.... I'll do this on the 22...

There's a forum group here:
Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Sewing Group. Boat canvas projects

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 06:20   #18

Location: Quaker Hill, CT (just above the US Coast Guard Academy)
Boat: Silverton 34 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckywizard View Post
It's actually a real relief to see all these men sewing! I was at a seminar at the boat show">Annapolis Boat Show in October about gender roles on board and heard many a man snort at the mere thought of tackling a traditionally pink job. ...
Tailors have been around for a long time......LL
AfterHoursNLCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 06:35   #19

Boat: Valiant 40

I'm about to sew new covers for my settees and buy new foam for my aft cabin berth (where I sleep...it currently has a "furrow" in it that makes sharing the bunk a bit of a challenge). I've done a bit of research on the whole affair and thought I would offer up some links that might be of some help.

First, a demonstration video from Sailrite about sewing boat cushions. Lots of helpful tips and tricks:

Next, a blog post by a sailor who did a bunch of research on choosing foam, with some good links in it to more "technical" data about foam types, hardness, etc:
The unbelievably complicated world of boat cushions | Sundowner Sails Again

Sailrite's fabric calculator:
Fabric Calculator by Sailrite
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 06:48   #20

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsulli View Post
yes you are right about the 1/2" being need for support on my chairs, but a 1/8" staple will not even penetrate a folded piece of your fabric. Plywood 1/8" thick would probably have to be purchased at a hobby shop (not cheap) and not in the size you need I've never seen less than 1/4" at lumber yards or HD, or Lowes. Besides when you sit on the top it pulls on the sides and 1/8" would curl like wet lasagna.
I am just offering an opinion but I have spent 42 years in many phases of home building, rebuilt an entire 35' Chris Craft including made new decking with caulking grooves,rebuilt 2 engines and installed them. Restored 3 antique autos and upholstered them. I do not want this to sound like an I did I I I rant, just want to be clear I do know a little about this and I hate to see people waste time and money.
The staple must not only go through the fabric it must go through (come out the other side)of the wood on anything under 3/8".
You might be able to get away with 1/4", but 3/8" would be better, but I will use 1/2"birch ply the US made stuff has exterior glued plies. Do not use cheap sheeting plywood (that wavy, curled stuff you see at HD) or you will have wavy bases.
Hey I asked you a question because I wanted your opinion. By the way before I became a captain I was a professional carpenter for 10+ years. Heh heh. The plywood I'm referring to is called door skins. it's available at any large lumber store and is usually made out of mahogany and dirt cheap. But I think you're right about the staples I'll have to figure out how thick my fabric is and add one eighth of an inch to it. And even if they stand a little proud I don't think the cushion will compress enough to have to worry about it. the applications I'm talking about it's going to be sitting on top of a flat surface so I don't know what curling you're talking about. And I also suggested putting holes in the plywood and adding strips of wood underneath to raise it.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 07:13   #21

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Indeed this a VERY dark purple job here too.... More plumb than magenta...

Dudes get very excited about machines that boast the word "sail" imbedded in the brand name, and delight at improbable images of running 1/2" plywood under the foot....

That being said, the plywood idea is brilliant... It is how every ski boat I've owned was done from the factory.... I'll do this on the 22...

There's a forum group here:
Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Sewing Group. Boat canvas projects

I've also seen plywood used on the cushions for many small power boats. I remember it being about an eighth of an inch thick. can you confirm this? Thanks
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 07:33   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
I've also seen plywood used on the cushions for many small power boats. I remember it being about an eighth of an inch thick. can you confirm this? Thanks
Sparrow...

Know for a fact that all were 1/2" or so.... The interior of these boats are expected to get wet... Open bow... Rain... Etc... Cushions tossed about to access under seat storage and battery compartments... We even used them on shore to lay/sit on...

If I were going to do this method on interior (which I will for the 22) I would go for 3/8.... 1/4" may be adequate, but I wouldn't use a door skin.... You need alternating plies and grain orientation for strength and rigidity...

Don't forget to seal the ply...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 07:41   #23

Boat: Pearson P30 30 ft

Try this site they seem to have good selections and prices. I think the HD-36 HQ or maybe the lux hq wish I had a sample of each.
Welcome to Foam Factory, Inc.
wsulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 05:12   #24

Boat: 1972 Columbia 30'

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsulli View Post
Try this site they seem to have good selections and prices. I think the HD-36 HQ or maybe the lux hq wish I had a sample of each.
Welcome to Foam Factory, Inc.
Thank you, wsulli. This site is great!
luckywizard is offline   Reply With Quote