Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2009, 07:17   #1

Female Looking for Sailing Work Aboard

Hi, I'm Jess from Florida. I'm a bit new to the sailing world, however i've always been VERY interested in it, and especially in owning my own boat eventually. Sounds silly, but I grew up living in preserved state parks, surfing, scuba diving, fishing, etc, so i've always made the ocean a huge part of my life, and to me, the ultimate thing for someone as free spirited as myself is to travel and live via sailboat! I'm currently living out of a suitcase, so i'm leaving no real ties behind, except for a vehical and lots of surfboards in storage.
I'm currently looking for work in the Cocoa Beach or St. Augustine area with or around boats, just to learn as much as possible, and I'm also looking to sail with anyone who needs a hand keeping the boat clean and tidy. As long as i'm not paying anything and i'm making a little bit of money and learning, i'm happy. It can be long term or short term. the sky is the limit.
I'm also a surfer, a musician (singer songwriter guitarist) so the guitar comes along, and i have a beautiful siamese himalayan cat less than a year old who actually isin't too bothered by the water. She's been going to the beach since she was born.
I'm up for traveling to other countries, and i do have a passport ready to go. Anything I can find to help me learn as much as possible (and of course help me pay for food, etc) is appreciated.
Thanks for having me!
Jessica
JLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:50   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
After seeing your avatar I could not resist looking at your profile. I don't think finding a boat will be the problem. Choosing which one might be though......BEST WISHES in finding a safe, and friendly boat......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 05:24   #3

I would suggest that you read: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Oceans: Crewing Around the World by Alison Muir-Bennett. Also you could try the cruising woman’s adviser and also preparing for the sailing life.

And even Care and feeding of the sailing crew may be of some use. In fact I would read everything and anything.

Make sure you have a running away fund and that you have a credit card so you can say no when you want to. Also people only tell stories of the times it goes wrong, as they say good news is no news!

Trust your instinct it is usual right when meeting new people. Above all have fun doing it. You have a lifetime to look back on your memories and you shouldn’t go to your grave saying I wish I had done that. Your grandchild should be saying Wow wasn’t she cool!
Georgiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 06:04   #4

Boat: Jutson 50
possible FL to LIS

Hey Jessica, I'm going from the Keys to Long Island Sound in June-July.
39 ft mono hull, 2 crew. PM if that sounds like it might make a good start.
cheers
James
tackdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 14:16   #5
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
After seeing your avatar I could not resist looking at your profile. I don't think finding a boat will be the problem. Choosing which one might be though......BEST WISHES in finding a safe, and friendly boat......i2f
Yeah you think!!!

If I had seen this a when it was originally posted...or if she had posted it a few weeks earlier, I just did the same trip as tackdriver, minus a few miles at beginning and the end.

Can't believe she only got one response, unless she has a box full of PMs. Looks like she hasn't logged in since, though. I guess I missed my window

This one was just too good to be true. Kinda like when Nekton Cruises was hiring a graphic designer/video editor/photographer who had to be a diver and willing to travel on location to "capture the images they'd be working with" a few weeks out of the year.

Still have my doubts as to if that was even a real job posting or just a cruel off seasonal April fool's joke.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 15:03   #6

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
You may wish to try cruiserlog.com as well, they have a rather busy crewing section.

Good luck.

Max
idpnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:18   #7

Boat: pilot cutter
LOL! The post that started this thread looks like trouble with a capital 'T'. No word I suspect on what the outcome was?
Not Sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:38   #8
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Sure View Post
LOL! The post that started this thread looks like trouble with a capital 'T'. No word I suspect on what the outcome was?
Maybe...but after sitting here tied to the dock all summer, and a bunch of friends who apparently have 0 interest in going out on a boat.

I WELCOME TROUBLE!

At least she looks like the type of trouble that would probably start out as fun with a capital F.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote