Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 07:22   #1

Boat: 47' Steel Roberts Cutter
foul weather gear for kids

Hi-

we'll be doing a ~2000 NM offshore run with our 3 kids this spring, bringing a boat home to Nova Scotia from Gulf Coast of Florida. Our kids will be 9 (boy and girl - twins) and 5 (girl). Trip will be on a 47' steel center cockpit cutter.

We've done a good amount of overnight sailing with them, and lots of day trips as they grew from babies... but this will be a big leap in our collective experience. My wife and I are quite experienced offshore cruisers in our own right, but this will clearly be a new one for us too.

I'm looking for advice on the best weather gear">foul weather gear to take a look at for them. They're growing so dang fast I am loathe to go and buy several hundred dollars of musto's for each of them; on the other hand, having crap walmart type gear will make them miserable, and this experience is key to developing excitement about a longer term departure in the next couple of years.

mostly I'm finding that good quality waterproof outdoor clothing for kids is really difficult to come by without breaking the bank. Anyone have some good suggestions sources and/or experiences to share?

thanks-

bg
NSboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 13:26   #2

We bought a two part (fleece and outer waterproof shell) Columbia snowsuit for our daughter. Granted she's only 9 months, but it works beautifully for warmth, blocks out all wind even on fast chilly dinghy rides, and is decently waterproof. All seams are sealed as well. Bight colours is also something I like for visibility should something happen. And I can choose whether to put a wind breaker, a fleece, or both on her.

One thing I would get extra is a rain deflector for her face, like a cap or something. The suit, being designed for snow, doesn't have a hood that deflects rain from face.

Considering that it's the end of skiing season now, you might find good bargains in stores.
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 13:29   #3
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
Re: foul weather gear for kids

Try Tractor Supply or other suppliers of farm clothing and equipment. The yachty stuff made for kids is horrendously expensive as you point out, but farm kids wear much the same stuff.
Old 12-04-2013, 14:08   #4

Boat: 47' Steel Roberts Cutter

tractor supply! great idea. have a good farm store nearby - will check it out.

thanks!
NSboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 10:19   #5

We got Tuffos for our three year old daughter. Amazon.com: Tuffo Muddy Buddy Overalls: Clothing

We also got a real foul weather jacket on sail that was an xxs, and that goes down to her knees but it's good for cold nights (not that we'll have any of those for a while around here). Anyway, the Tuffos work out good for us. When they stop growing or if we're going to do higher latitude stuff I'll spring for real foulies.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gear, kids, weather