Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2016, 09:55   #1

Boat: None, at the moment
Help Importing Pet To Windwards

HELP!!

I have a cat that I would like to take with me to my new boat (currently in St. Lucia). I looked up the import rules in St. Lucia and, while a nuisance, they can be dealt with. So, I book my flight with Delta Airlines only to find that they ONLY allow pets to go international via air cargo and even that must be thru one of the pet travel services. Ok... fine. I do my research on that and I find that it going to cost something around, or north of, $2,000.00. Plus the vet costs before leaving the USA, plus the import fee, plus the health inspection fee.

I love my cat but that is a lot of money. I think my limit is about $500.00

So, getting to the help part. Can anyone tell me how and where you were able to affordably accomplish a similar feat?

I'm willing to sail to most any of the windward islands to pick him up or even pay for an airline ticket for a friend to come visit me (and bring my cat along). But, of course, which island, which airline, which ????

Thank you so much!!

JD
Undadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 11:09   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Help Importing Pet To Windwards

donot fly.
sail.
good luck. it is getting harder for pets to travel by air.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:52   #3

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undadar View Post
HELP!!

So, I book my flight with Delta Airlines only to find that they ONLY allow pets to go international via air cargo and even that must be thru one of the pet travel services. Ok... fine. I do my research on that and I find that it going to cost something around, or north of, $2,000.00. Plus the vet costs before leaving the USA, plus the import fee, plus the health inspection fee.
You got the sequence wrong. When travelling with pets you check the airline rules first and only then choose the airline. American Airlines used to be the best... I have taken my dog on overnight flights for less than US$200 with them, but that was as "luggage" in the hold. Air cargo was much more expensive..
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:53   #4

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undadar View Post
HELP!!

I have a cat that I would like to take with me to my new boat (currently in St. Lucia). I looked up the import rules in St. Lucia and, while a nuisance, they can be dealt with. So, I book my flight with Delta Airlines only to find that they ONLY allow pets to go international via air cargo and even that must be thru one of the pet travel services. Ok... fine. I do my research on that and I find that it going to cost something around, or north of, $2,000.00. Plus the vet costs before leaving the USA, plus the import fee, plus the health inspection fee.

I love my cat but that is a lot of money. I think my limit is about $500.00

So, getting to the help part. Can anyone tell me how and where you were able to affordably accomplish a similar feat?

I'm willing to sail to most any of the windward islands to pick him up or even pay for an airline ticket for a friend to come visit me (and bring my cat along). But, of course, which island, which airline, which ????

Thank you so much!!

JD
I woudl start exploring AA to St Thomas.
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 01:57   #5

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Watch out for the islands designated "rabies free". There's no end to the paperwork. We brought a puppy back to Nevis, finally chartered a flight to get it out again. St. Maarten is probably easiest.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 04:10   #6

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

The following is the summary of what I have learned. It does not help my situation but maybe it will help someone.

First pick an airline that is international pet travel friendly (American Airlines appears to be, Delta is certainly not). Next find an island/nation that is pet import friendly and that the selected airline services.
Old 14-12-2016, 04:27   #7
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

It's not clear if you intend to have the cat on St Lucia for a while, or will go directly from the airport to a boat. That can possibly make a difference.

If you're flying in with your cat and plan to immediately go to your boat, and the cat will never be allowed to touch St Lucia's soil, I believe that you can claim that you're not technically "importing" the pet. You need to get in touch with the government's chief veterinarian to try to sort this out. You may very well find a way to make it work.

Alternately, flying in to St Thomas is hassle-free, which is what my wife did when she and our cat came to meet me in the islands. She flew AA and carried the cat in a soft carrier that fit under the seat.

Once the cat was on board, we sailed to all the islands in the Leewards and Windwards but three, and never had any problems with Customs and Immigration on the rabies-free islands when we declared our cat and stated that she always stayed on board. However, when we moved to Nevis to live there full time, we had to go through all the onerous pet-import procedures designed to keep rabies out of the island because in that instance we were truly "importing" a pet.

p.s. airlines that allow pets in the cabin do limit the number on board, so make your reservation early. They also charge a fee, even though the pet rides under the seat for takeoff and landing, and in your lap during the flight (always in the pet carrier).
Old 14-12-2016, 04:34   #8

Airport directly to boat. I'll explore that idea.

I wish there was a US Territory in the Windwards as it would make things a lot easier.
Old 14-12-2016, 04:35   #9
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Martinique has rabies, so you should be able to fly your pet in there with no issues.

Tags
import, wind