Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2022, 01:42   #31

Boat: Bayliner DX2000, 19′6″
Re: Homeschooling middle schooler and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Sprogs View Post
Greetings all. First of all, I apologize if there's already a concise thread on this subject; I have been doing an awful lot of research on the message boards and cannot seem to find anywhere that answers my specific questions.

My husband and I are in the process of buying a boat with an intent to start living aboard it permanently from approx Jan 2020 on. Our youngest will be starting 8th grade in the autumn of 2019. I am trying to find a good homeschooling program that will work for us and we will be comfortable with. Ideally, it would be something that would transition nicely in to the high school years.

Initially, we will be sailing around the Caribbean and the next year (probably) in the Med. My son has dual nationality with the U.K. but has only ever been exposed to the US school system. However, I would be happy to look at both countries' options.

As we will be doing island hopping, we will have intermittent internet so we do not want a program that is reliant on it. Distance learning is fraught with many pitfalls, and you want to do everything right. I was interested in other options, reading tips, comments, and the article at this to understand what can help with my son's education. I would like him to acquire good writing skills at this age and be ready for serious college exams when he returns. After all, whether you're trying to get into a good college, land your dream job, or simply survive in an increasingly competitive world, good writing skills will give you an edge.

I have looked in to the UK homeschooling options, and it seems to vary from council to council. I have to go in and talk to my local council about if and how they would support this, but as I don't live there it's a bit of a stumbling block.

We currently live in California. Our local school district does not have a supported home school program. I have heard that other areas of the state do offer home school options, and would love to hear other people's experiences or thoughts on this. I have no problem with changing our county (or state) residency, all with the goal of providing my son with the most appropriate, accredited, and satisfactory learning opportunity.

What I'm really looking for is specific experience or advice as to where to look for options. Maybe someone out there has done a recent Calvert 8th (or above) grade course and hasn't felt that they needed to rely on the internet? Or maybe I'm wrong in terms of my assumption that reliable internet is scarce in the Caribbean? Or even if you're in a school district that offers and amazing home schooling program so you don't feel cut off from a structured school agenda? I've looked at various posts by families that seem to be much more imaginative and creative with their tailored schooling on boats. I am not that sort of person. I would appreciate a straightforward program which is clear on what he needs to do and learn, and something that my husband and I can support him with.

Thank you to anyone who has taken the time and trouble to read this post, and I appreciate your help and advice if you have some to offer.

Maz

I have read that significant investment is needed to lay new submarine cables and upgrade the internal infrastructure of the submarine landing station. In the meantime, there will be no good Internet in the Caribbean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfjunior View Post
Been with friends in similar conditions for several months. Their teacher prepared a special course in printed form and everything was ok.
Can you be more specific about the course?
JennyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2022, 02:18   #32
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyD View Post
I have read that significant investment is needed to lay new submarine cables and upgrade the internal infrastructure of the submarine landing station. In the meantime, there will be no good Internet in the Caribbean.

Can you be more specific about the course?

Google is your friend. There are a number of colleges in the U.K. that offer home schooling programmes.
Old 23-06-2022, 08:08   #33
cruiser

Boat: 1997 Aqua Cruiser 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Sprogs
Greetings all. First of all, I apologize if there's already a concise thread on this subject; I have been doing an awful lot of research on the message boards and cannot seem to find anywhere that answers my specific questions.

My husband and I are in the process of buying a boat with an intent to start living aboard it permanently from approx Jan 2020 on. Our youngest will be starting 8th grade in the autumn of 2019. I am trying to find a good homeschooling program that will work for us and we will be comfortable with. Ideally, it would be something that would transition nicely in to the high school years.

Initially, we will be sailing around the Caribbean and the next year (probably) in the Med. My son has dual nationality with the U.K. but has only ever been exposed to the US school system. However, I would be happy to look at both countries' options.

As we will be doing island hopping, we will have intermittent internet so we do not want a program that is reliant on it. I have looked at Calvert Academy and Oak Meadow, but am not sold on either. Recent reviews of Calvert indicate that they are shifting to a more online teaching style with an additional focus on group projects. I'm not sure how we'd manage that. OM seems to be more Waldorf-ish, which is not a style that my son is used to and I don't think he'd adjust well to. However, school in a box is definitely more appealing. If I am wrong on my impressions of either of these two schools, I'd love to hear about it.

I have looked in to the UK homeschooling options, and it seems to vary from council to council. I have to go in and talk to my local council about if and how they would support this, but as I don't live there it's a bit of a stumbling block.

We currently live in California. Our local school district does not have a supported home school program. I have heard that other areas of the state do offer home school options, and would love to hear other people's experiences or thoughts on this. I have no problem with changing our county (or state) residency, all with the goal of providing my son with the most appropriate, accredited, and satisfactory learning opportunity.

What I'm really looking for is specific experience or advice as to where to look for options. Maybe someone out there has done a recent Calvert 8th (or above) grade course and hasn't felt that they needed to rely on the internet? Or maybe I'm wrong in terms of my assumption that reliable internet is scarce in the Caribbean? Or even if you're in a school district that offers and amazing home schooling program so you don't feel cut off from a structured school agenda? I've looked at various posts by families that seem to be much more imaginative and creative with their tailored schooling on boats. I am not that sort of person. I would appreciate a straightforward program which is clear on what he needs to do and learn, and something that my husband and I can support him with.

Thank you to anyone who has taken the time and trouble to read this post, and I appreciate your help and advice if you have some to offer.

Maz

Read about it. This whole story has been going on for many years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Google is your friend. There are a number of colleges in the U.K. that offer home schooling programmes.
Google is too hard
Jfjunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2022, 09:10   #34
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfjunior View Post
Read about it. This whole story has been going on for many years.

Google is too hard

And you intend to teach ?
Old 23-06-2022, 09:20   #35
cruiser

Boat: 1997 Aqua Cruiser 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
And you intend to teach ?
No tnx. I don't practice such things for free
Jfjunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2022, 09:33   #36

This comment might be too late for OP since it was originally posted 4 years ago but it might help someone in the future. In the US there are plenty of high schools offer homeschooling programs, in these cases the curriculums are tailored to those students and require minimum internet connection (assuming you will have some internet connection evert now and then). These curriculum are normally supplemented (but not necessary) with online educational material. Now while you might not have internet connection all the time the are many educational math apps that don't need active internet connection like this basic algebra tutor app as their content can be 100% downloaded and the student can work on the go (literally).

Certainly the pandemic has accelerated the development of technology in these areas and in the educational system. OP said they are in California and although I have zero experience in that state I'm pretty sure a quick google navigation (pun intended) will give you which high schools are offering what you're looking for. Satellite internet it's another alternative but that's too technical for me xD
LalaSierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2022, 12:48   #37

Boat: Allmand 31

I boat schooled my daughter from 1st thru 9th grade. We used Calvert some years and other years Abeka Academy. We never relied on an Internet connection. It was all book work. We settled on land for grades 10 thru 12 as she really was tired of the lonely, kid deprived boat life. It was a good decision for her. When we enrolled in public school in MA we showed a transcript I'd made of her grade 9. She got credit for everything except PE. Go figure! Anyway it it all worked out well and she is in college on a good scholarship.
maryc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
school