Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2009, 11:45   #31

Boat: Hans Christian 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiepitts View Post
We just purchased a hanging jewlery carrier. It has 48 clear plastic compartments and hangs from a hanger behind one of of doors.
Jackie, is it similar to this? Organize jewelry using the 80 Pocket Hanging Jewelry Organizer

I was thinking about using something like that as well. I'm with you. My jewelry is all costume jewelry except for my wedding ring. I've already decided to get a simple gold ring for when we go cruising, not only because I don't want to attract attention with my ring, but once we're really cruising, I don't want to damage it either. I take it off now when we work on the boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoonerdog View Post
I think we need top define jewelry first. I have my few odds and ends in a small bamboo steamer basket (the kind you see in Asian grocery stores for making pot stickers).
Cindy, this sounds like a beautiful idea. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Dispite my disagreement with the practice, my wife likes to take along various earrings, etc. when we travel. So, I made a little rack with pegs that she can hang things on that fits on the inside face of the hanging locker door in the master cabin. This is covered by a matching sized piece of clear plastic of the type used on dodgers, fastened to the door along the top and with small twist-locks of the type used in canvass-work on the bottom corners to hold the plastic cover--and the contents of the rack--firmly in place when the door is closed. With this she can see what she wants and yet things don't go adrift.
Wow, could you take a picture of this? I'd love to see the set up. Also, great idea on the penalty box (especially if we have children by then.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Sound to geeky?
Not at all, it sounds like a great project! Thank you!
Red Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 11:49   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
You are a good reminder to me that this is not just a forum for dudes...but women who are still girlie too. You are a gem yourself and I'm sure your husband agrees...
Thank you! It's hard to rally the flag and find and be supported by other women who are doing this. I'm constantly trying to find and network with ladies who are trying to live and learn this lifestyle.

Many thanks :cubalibre
Old 23-04-2009, 12:30   #33

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Well, I re-read the first post. I didn't see anything in there about EXPENSIVE jewelry - just PRETTY jewelry. I can see my wife asking the same sort of question. We've been all over the world and KNOW that expensive jewelry belongs at "home". That doesn't mean she doesn't like to wear jewelry!

And just because one is "crusing" or "living aboard" does not mean one is out of the country...
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 15:47   #34

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
<edit>

What I wrote I will simply retract.

Too frikikin touchy with my lack of sleep.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 16:04   #35

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Charlotte View Post
My jewelry is all costume jewelry except for my wedding ring. I've already decided to get a simple gold ring for when we go cruising, not only because I don't want to attract attention with my ring, but once we're really cruising, I don't want to damage it either. I take it off now when we work on the boat.
See how folks assume that "jewelry" = "expensive"? And they are wrong?
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 17:02   #36

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Red Charlotte: Don't let the rascals get you down.
Check this product: Ajax Cleaner Diversion Safe- Hide Valuables in Actual Product Can with Fake Bottom!

There are many other similar products that allow you to "hide in plain sight".

Also, consider leaving some flashy, CHEAP AND DISPOSABLE, trinkets in a standard jewelry case to tempt the stupid and hurried burglar into thinking he found the mother lode. Include a couple of expired or cancelled credit cards, broken watches, expired passports, etc., and they will feel completely rewarded for their efforts. Best of all, install an inexpensive car security alarm on the boat to make an awful racket while they are rummaging around for treasure. You can't make any place burglar-proof. You CAN, however, make it time consuming and noisy, two factors the bad guys can't fully appreciate. Send a private message for futher details - I'm almost next door at the Southwestern Yacht Club.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 17:11   #37

Boat: Far From Turtle: 1980 Pearson 424 cutter rigged ketch
being an engineer, I can think of a few things to do to deter thieves, including a nasty electric shock if standing in the wrong place when we're not on the boat.

I've learned up close and personal that you don't have to go to sea to get robbed. I was robbed in Miami, FL 3 blocks from my house in a crowded gas station at 1100 AM on a Saturday morning. I'm much more savvy now.

Get in touch with your nasty side, I'm sure you can figure out a way to bring a few things on board and protect them adequately. If not, let me know, I'll give you a few off line tips.
First Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 17:26   #38

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Hi Charlotte and Eric! Listen, although I'm sure there are LOTS of places you wouldn't want to flash jewelry "out there", it's also obvious from your website that you two are smart enough to know when and where. As for CSY, he needs to be a little more observant. Read this forum for more then a day or two, and you will find PLENTY of people who DO have enough money for REAL jewelry AND cruising. Every day I see posts like; Which new catamaran should I buy for under $850,000? !!! Wear what you want, when you want, and know when it's not quite safe. The most dangerous place to wear costume jewelery I know of is while snorkeling. Those darn barracuda have absolutely no conscience what so ever! Riddle me this; you're covered in shiny baubles and you can be dropped off in one of two places...Port-au-Prince or the Great Barrier Reef. Which is safer?

I'm sending you two a friend request. I loved your website, and get where you are coming from!

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 18:10   #39

Boat: Hunter 430 Legend
Hi Charlotte:

I haven't posted here a lot because I find that even though you get some good advice and there are people that are really helpful, there are those who always have to put their sarcastic or negative/bitter spin on things. Don't take anything personally as no one here knows you or where you are coming from. Take the good, ignore the bad.

There are many kinds of sailors (from liveaboards that never leave the dock to those who cruise full time and those in between) and one is no better than the other, some will have more experience, but that should only mean that they can be more helpful, not more condescending... We all are starting at different levels and it would be pretty nice if we can share without judging, after all, I read somewhere that the people that have boats and actually live their lives cruising full time is less than 3% but, don't we all have more in common with each other in this forum than with the rest of the world?

We think we found "the" boat (in San Diego) and are thinking about all the little details including security issues. (Getting closer to start living and stop dreaming... I had not considered a safe but I guess it could be a good idea to add something like it to our fixing/outfitting the boat budget since I am a photographer and have photographic equipment I would hate to loose to a burglar when we start living aboard. We are already trying to figure out how to secure the boat when we are gone during the day with special locks, etc. Maybe I will break down one day and ask the forum for opinions on the locks (need to put my tough skin on first though

About the jewelry: The soup can or any can is a great idea, you can also hide the really valuable things in band aid boxes, etc. I like the idea of putting some "dummy" valuables in a visible place to deter them from looking further. I will have to remember that one!

putting my tough skin suit on for what may be coming - please be nice.
Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 18:15   #40

Boat: Endeavour40 - MOBETAH
I'm going with CSY man on this ..... after all, he's offered to buy the beer!
mobetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 18:25   #41

Boat: 2007 Hunter 41
Hey - we bought the safe in the link I posted as a xmas gift for the boat and was being sincere! We keep jewerly, cash, personal/boat documents and a 9mm in it. The saying - " wife happy - life happy!"
sv-Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 18:27   #42

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv-Mystique View Post
Hey - we bought the safe in the link I posted as a xmas gift for the boat and was being sincere! We keep jewerly, cash, personal/boat documents and a 9mm in it. The saying - " wife happy - life happy!"
Thansk Mystique! As I said before, I appreciate all the sincere and helpful replies about my specific question.
Old 23-04-2009, 22:28   #43
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Well Charlotte, I see the sparks flying off your keyboard when you write your posts. While I am known to be experienced in writing spicy posts too, I always try (and succeed I think) not to venture into direct personal comments. I am sure that no one in this thread is "mean spirited" and I think you sense that too. Regardless of writing skills, tact or whatever, I think every reply was written either to help you or to be funny (later ones about free beers). Also, I detected multiple smileys in the post that triggered all this and these are included to show you that you shouldn't take the comment literally.

With your last post here you make it sound like you are disgusted with everyone who is not precisely replying to your specific question. But this is a discussion forum and I think it would be much nicer reading this thread when you let these guys off the hook or outwit them which I'm sure you are capable of ;-)

In an almost futile attempt to escape your furious reply, I'll give you another answer to your specific question too: how about putting them in all their glory in a big picture frame and hanging that on the main salon bulkhead? This surely gives the best presentation value and the glass protects them from greasy fingerprints or dripping hatches. I also have a very funny solution for the occasions you want to wear them but I'm not sure if the ice is broken enough to include that in this post ;-) (smiley!)

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 23:11   #44
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Nicolle has a wooden box for her jewellery.

A large wooden box.

A verrrrrrry large wooden box.

Its got a very small ring right down the bottom of it in a corner thats a bit dark.....

But the ring glistens with our love

Don't let the nay-sayers get you down, Charlotte

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2009, 03:23   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Maggie always kept our 'cash stash' in a package of feminine napkins (pads). Could work for other small valuables.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote