Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2012, 02:23   #16

Re: How many pairs of shoes do you carry aboard?

Two pairs, deck shoes and wellies. Only had to get those 'cos we moved to higher latitudes and me toes were getting cold!
annk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 04:55   #17

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb
As Lassie said, it is seriously not a good idea to count (or comment on) you partners amount of shoes.

Imelda Marcos had over 4000 pair of shoes. I have never yet met a woman who thought that was too many. Their only concern was "Where in the world would I put them?"

Let's face it -
A man cannot own enough tools
A woman cannot own enough shoes

These are universal laws of nature. Do NOT attempt to fight them.

By the way Target - are you still married?

I always wondered why and when my partner moved in, we had about the same amount of both tools and shoes.

That is why you shouldn't compare your particular woman to random women online. That will set her off faster than counting her shoes.
Old 14-11-2012, 05:38   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: How Many Pairs of Shoes do you Carry Aboard?

i have one pair dearfoam slippers. one pair uggs, well worn and ripped to death to make summer weight in usa, or winter weight in tropix, one pair crocks for lightning storms, and one pair birkenstocks for walking. no tennies, no closed shoes. good luck.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 07:44   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
By the way Target - are you still married?

Hanging in there...
Old 14-11-2012, 08:02   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
Hanging in there...
Installing an adequate storage area a little like this may go some way towards forgiveness :
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	c9e736ddf30c80637f2e88cc8761aede_zps7e9546f9.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	345.2 KB
ID:	49696  

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 08:07   #21

I was thinking of putting one of these in:

Old 14-11-2012, 08:20   #22

Boat: OEM, proportional

Quoting the ever-accurate and trustworthy Wikipaedia: "...After the Marcos family fled Malacaņan Palace, Marcos was found to have left behind 15 mink coats, 508 gowns, 1,000 handbags and 1,060 pairs of shoes. The exact number of shoes varies between accounts; estimates of up to 3000 pairs of shoes have been published...."

I assume they mean Imelda Marcos left behind 15 mink coats etc.

Maybe someone should invent a new kind of shoe...a base frame that one can wear in so it's comfortable, then a varied set of interchangeable outer skins that can suit the needs of the moment. As to storage....the last lady in my life had two rooms full of clothing...wardrobes and wheelie racks. Not sure how she got in amongst them to police them all, though she was built like a racing snake. Needless to say, I never went into those rooms...give me a frontal daylight attack against artillery and wire any day, but please oh please never send me in there! She could spot dust molecules from a couple of lightyears away and slay a man with one glance. Run micah, run...
Old 14-11-2012, 08:23   #23

Boat: Island Packet 380

My husband has referred to me as Imelda on more than one occasion, however in the broad spectrum of that ratio of shoes per woman, I am likely on the lower end of the spectrum and have far fewer than perhaps the average woman. Just goes to show that my husband just doesn't have any perspective on women's shoes, just like I have no perspective on his tool ownership I really don't understand why you need 5 wrenches that are all the same size.

Not cruising yet, however I am thinking the below would suit my needs:

1 pair tennis shoes
2 pairs flip flops
1 pair keens
1 pair hiking shoes
1 pair nicer shoes
1 pair slippers
1 pair something warmer - closed

I, for one, will be happy to part with all my work dress shoes. I am so not a heels person.
Old 14-11-2012, 08:29   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
Quoting the ever-accurate and trustworthy Wikipaedia: "...After the Marcos family fled Malacaņan Palace, Marcos was found to have left behind 15 mink coats, 508 gowns, 1,000 handbags and 1,060 pairs of shoes. The exact number of shoes varies between accounts; estimates of up to 3000 pairs of shoes have been published...."

I assume they mean Imelda Marcos left behind 15 mink coats etc.
I presume the gowns and handbags were hers too .

From the horses mouth:
"I did not have three thousand pairs of shoes, I had one thousand and sixty".
This is a widely reported quote from Imelda.

Old 14-11-2012, 08:51   #25

Depends on the wrenches, of course, and the circumstances they were bought under. Open, ring, ratchet, monkey, metric, imperial, combination, adjusting, and of course the one you had to buy to disassemble the ($&(U% machine that the other identical one fell into when you were dismantling it to retrieve your push-screwdriver, thread guage and the (§$&§ spring washer that at least didn't make it over the street this time.
Old 14-11-2012, 09:09   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Perfectly reasonable. Don't try to pair it down, you'll regret it. Find a way. A good woman deserves all the nice shoes she wants. Don't ever count them again, just let it stay unmentioned. No guilt for her. JMHO. Buy her a nice pair of rubber foulie boots to add to the collection. Gill has some snazzy ladies boots.
never, NEVER, take away a woman's shoes! Once living aboard and cruising, she will pare them down herself. All those island women she gives them to will look great in those 6" heels! BTW, get one of those hanging fabric shoe holders for the hanging locker.... they wont take much room.
"the Dragoness"...... I'm rollin on the floor!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 09:39   #27

Quote:
"the Dragoness"...... I'm rollin on the floor!
So is he.....as he scrubs the bilge with his toothbrush, encouraged by lovingly applied 6" heels. In utter, soul-dessicating silence.
Old 14-11-2012, 10:07   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
So is he.....as he scrubs the bilge with his toothbrush, encouraged by lovingly applied 6" heels. In utter, soul-dessicating silence.
No, I wouldn't go quite that far. But she did refuse to make me coffee this morning.
Old 14-11-2012, 10:09   #29

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Well, I can see that Sweetsailing finds 8 pair of shoes to be necessary while cruising.

Since I'm feeling suicidal today (I'm gonna feel a lotta pain for this), why don't all you ladies not only tell us how many shoes you have on the boat, but as with sweetsailing - how many you feel are necessary to cruise comfortably?

Yes, I have at least 3wrench sets and I am contemplating buying a fourth. I refuse to divulge the number of screwdrivers I have (not the vodka/juice kind)

Ladies-Please merciful and make my death a quick one for asking

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 10:25   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Well, I can see that Sweetsailing finds 8 pair of shoes to be necessary while cruising.

Since I'm feeling suicidal today (I'm gonna feel a lotta pain for this), why don't all you ladies not only tell us how many shoes you have on the boat, but as with sweetsailing - how many you feel are necessary to cruise comfortably?

Yes, I have at least 3wrench sets and I am contemplating buying a fourth. I refuse to divulge the number of screwdrivers I have (not the vodka/juice kind)

Ladies-Please merciful and make my death a quick one for asking
I'll chip in first. I have already posted how many I have, but in answer to how many are really necessary I would have to say one (if they are blue water capable, of the correct size, and constructed well from the best material ).