Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2012, 19:36   #76

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'
Re: How Many Pairs of Shoes do you Carry Aboard?

My partner and I used to meet traveling - due in part to my line of work and access to travel accomodations. After we did this a time, we had a established a suit of basically pre-packed suitcases that we would alternatively haul around the country, depending on the situation at hand.

One day, at a B&B, probably trying to find a pair of underwear, I started pulling shoes out of our suitcases .... and it went on and on. I lined them up (side to side) and they laid out that way across the ENTIRE width of our hotel room - about 15' I would say. We had a great laugh, followed by great sex, followed by repacking all of those shoes in preparation for the next get-together.

My advice - don't try to take them away. You've got a beautiful sexy dragoness and the LAST THING you want to do is make her STOP feeling beautiful and sexy!

I mean, look at those socks. Do YOU wear something that cute on board the boat? I bet you don't. Have a great laugh together, I loved the photo captioning - GUILTY, but instead of throwing away her shoes, buy her next pair for her!
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 08:24   #77

Boat: 1978 44 foot Camper & Nicholsons Ketch

I would never count Sea Boots as a pair...they are a necessity in my mind no matter where you go...outside passages at night can be cold anywhere you may be and my feet tend to be the first part of the body to get cold...

On another note, I am still amazed that while 5200 can bond just about anything permanently until the end of time (why we hardly ever use it on our boat), it will not fix the fissure in the bottom of my favorite pink pumas, or hold the numerous, sectioned soles of my Nikes that are coming off at regular intervals...

I wore the Nikes up to a retreat a few weeks ago and literally had people coming up to me with pieces and parts of my soles they were finding all over the place...
High Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 08:25   #78

and Thanks Art for defending us in the shoe camp!
Old 21-11-2012, 08:38   #79
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Heels View Post
On another note, I am still amazed that while 5200 can bond just about anything permanently until the end of time (why we hardly ever use it on our boat), it will not fix the fissure in the bottom of my favorite pink pumas, or hold the numerous, sectioned soles of my Nikes that are coming off at regular intervals...
Try barge cement, not only is it what the cobblers use, but it's excellent for patching hypalon inflatables. (It's a brand of contact cement.)
Old 21-11-2012, 09:11   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Heels View Post
and Thanks Art for defending us in the shoe camp!
Even though some here may try to take shoes away, I never would. I don't want someone playing "dictator" to me, so I will not to them.

I just let her decide..........

James L
Old 21-11-2012, 23:41   #81

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

AS an american patriot once said, "I disagree with the number of shoes you have, but I will die defending your right to have them" or something like that

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 19:46   #82

Thanks for the tip on the 'Barge Cement' Bash...will try it!
Old 27-11-2012, 21:33   #83

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

As I said before, If ya have a good first mate, and ya don't want a Mutiny! Don't mess with her shoes !! Thats really a no brainer!! Her shoes and under wear are hers to chose and use on my boats !! LOL Of course when ya been together as long as Connie and I have, ya learn these things LOL
Old 28-11-2012, 06:43   #84

Been together with Chris for twenty years - guess some lessons must take more time to learn than others...
Old 28-11-2012, 08:34   #85

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

High Heels,

You could just ask him to count (and tell you) how many screwdrivers he has......

I'm willing to bet a pint of beer (your choice of bar to meet in - bring chris) if he can tell you right off hand how many he has (without counting)

I'm willing to go double or nothing (you will lose the first bet) that the actual number will exceed 10

By the way, I drink Carlsberg...................

jes sayin'

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 28-11-2012, 09:42   #86

Boat: OEM, proportional

SWMBO (sweetly): "Ah, hello darling! Did you sleep well?" (in the cockpit)

HWMO (subdued): "Um, yes, fine, fine, I slept great..:" (for about two minutes between mosquitos)

S: "Dear.....since you were so thoughtful and sensitive to point out all my shoes, I decided to make another shoe locker. It took me a while since I'm not a master craftsman like you, but I eventually figured it out, and learned a lot too."

H (cringes): "Oh....er, how wonderful. What did you learn?"

S (The picture of innocence): "Well, for instance, that narrow wrench you had wasn't much good. Much too flimsy. I saved you some bother, binned it already as it broke pretty quick as I was bolting the new locker in place."

H (apprehensive): "Narrow wrench?"

S: "Sure, it had funny little graduations on it. Tsk, the things those Chinese put on their junk..."

H (slightly horrified): "Oh. That was a Vernier caliper."

S: "Ok, the Italians are making some crappy stuff too, these days. Never mind. But there was heaps more, I had a ball."

H: "Oh n....ahem, oh really? What like?" <gulp>

S: "Well, I had a little trouble getting the nails flush, but I found your nail punches and eventually got most of them flat."

H (mystified): "Nail punches? I lost the one I had last week, was going to buy one tomorrow. What did these "nail punches" look like?"

S: "Here, I saved the last one that didn't break...look.."

H (winces): "Ah f.....forgetful me, those are.....um.....those were brad point drill bits."

S (brightly): "Well, they were handy, though you really must stop buying that cheap-shop junk! Just look at what they did to this inferior hammer..."

H: "Oh sh....er...oh sure, my copper hammer. Uh...anything else?"

S: "Just a little bit more. I'm looking forward to trying this again sometime you know, it was fun. Well, I couldn't get the last couple of nails flush with that last braid thingy, so I thought I'd just cut them smooth. This thing worked great, though I bet there are better ones you could buy for all the money you spend on your tools."

H: "Arrgh, da.....dat's a plane, a smoothing plane..."

S: "Good name, it got them smooth, mostly. I got the rest of the surface flat with this handy little thing here...

H (moans): "Awww....my cabinet scraper..."

S (delighted): "Yes, I did do well for a novice, didn't I dear? Scraped them all flat, though it did take a while; but it's funny how absorbing woodwork is, isn't it?"

H: "Er...yes, very amusing, I agree...er...was that all?"

S: "Yes, that was it, for now. I was about to head off to do a spot of shopping, there's some bargains to be had and it's so much fun hunting them all out, don't you agree? You'd love to come, wouldn't you dear? Once I've found some nice shoes to put in the new cabinet, we might even have some time left to get that new summerdress I've been looking at, and maybe even pop by the hardware for a couple of minutes on the way back. Coming, dear?"

H (stoically):"Yes, dear...:"
Old 28-11-2012, 10:06   #87

Oh poor Micah...

My wife actually knows and uses most of my tools correctly. She learns about them and eagerly becomes proficient with them. If anything she'd be like... "Target, our spanner wrench is kinda crappy, lets get an all aluminum one so it isn't so heavy and I can use it if I need to."

As far as the shoes go... We're working on a compromise. She can take the high heels as long as she wears em at least one night a week.
Old 03-12-2012, 19:21   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
High Heels,

You could just ask him to count (and tell you) how many screwdrivers he has......
Totally unfair comparison because Screwdrivers let a man screw things, and high heels don't let a... oh nevermind.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 07:53   #89

Boat: Lagoon 400

Thanks for the informative (and entertaining) discussion of shoes. This is a question I am seriously interested in as my husband and I have been having several um..discussions about the matter. We depart in April and I have lined up the following to bring on board.

2 boat shoes
1 boots
1 hiking shoes
1 tennis shoes
3 walking shoes (black, brown, red)
3 regular flip flops (black, brown, white)
1 dressy flip flops (black)
1 water shoes
2 high heels (black & nude)

and now I know I need my crocs too! With the crocs that makes 16. I feel that is a good compromise! I will let my husband learn from some of the wiser males on this thread and encourage him to let this fight go.
DianaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 08:08   #90

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

To your hubby.

The two most important words in a marriage are "yes dear". This is an excellent opportunity for you to practice.. Repeat after me. "yes dear".

See? That wasn't hard at all. Only hurt a little.

Seriously. You and I need a minimum of 37 screwdrivers, 4 toolboxes filled with enough tools to build the Titanic. With one hand on the bible(or anything else you want to swear on), tell me that absolutely none of your tools are being brought along with the rationale that " I don't know for I will need them, but just in case........"

The same logic is what drive your wife to pack a couple of pairs of heels. Just accept it. And enjoy it if some night on an anchorage when you're alone, she decides to wear them and little else..............