Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2013, 15:45   #121

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: How Many Pairs of Shoes do you Carry Aboard?

Quote:
4,000 pairs does sound rather much. However, if she has a number of places, say like 10, then 400 pairs is not that un reasonable. What I was wondering is how she could remember keep track of so many pairs.
It was the Philippines, she had half a dozen "shoe maids"
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 09:54   #122

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
It was the Philippines, she had half a dozen "shoe maids"

So I need a shoe maid?

Last week end, put the summer shoes away and took out the winter shoes. In the process I got rid of 5 pairs of shoes, so now I have room to buy new pairs. I did go shopping for some new winter long sleeve shirts/sweaters, and it took all my will power to pass by the shoes stores/areas. My wife was shocked I did not come home with a new pair! I took a couple of pair to have new heel, $15.00 bucks per pair, but they are my favorite blink heels. Well at least I will not slip and fall on my emmm, you know!
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 08:46   #123

In the PNW winter and Christmas, it’s hard not to hit the malls to get off the boat, look at the lights and the Christmas season shoes and cloths. The last couple of times hit Nordstrom Rack, Payless and some other but did not buy a new pair. My wife was shocked!

The reason is the new style shoe is flat/low heels. Uggg! If I wore low/flat heels 80% of my pants/jeans/suits would have to be re hemmed so they did not drag on the ground. Besides heels make a person look slimmer and more height/weight proportionate. So instead of buying new pairs I will them re heeled.

Oh, a word to the wise! Those new airport scanners do not like bling/glitter as it lights them up. A couple of weeks ago we went to Boise to visit our son and his wife. Being it was the holiday season, I decided to wear a bling sparkly sweater. The sweater lit the scanner up like a Christmas tree, lights, alarms, security.

Happy Holidays.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:59   #124

Mah Coupa, Mah Coupa, Mah Maxima Coupa!

I bought 2 pair of shoes during the Christmas holidays. However, it was my wife’s, and granddaughter’s fault, and they had a sale, buy one pair and get 50% of the second pair. So it should only be counted as ONE pair. We went to visit family, but we had to stay at a motel, which MY WIFE booked across from the Boise shopping mall. I mean 4 days across from a shoppng mall! Its been a tradition that we/I take the granddaughters shopping to spend their Christmas money! Shoes are first on most female/girls shopping list!

I still need to buy some BOAT SHOES!
Old 08-01-2014, 12:10   #125

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

If you're in the market for boat shoes, I recommend the "Sperry Top-Sider Billfish 3-Eye Boat Shoes - $100 USD, at Macy's." Among the finest ever made!
(Disclaimer: Not affiliated with Sperry or Macys, in any capacity.)

Mauritz
Old 08-01-2014, 12:18   #126

As an update to this tired old thread...

With less than 12 months to our departure I've helped Dani come to terms with her addiction. Recognizing the problem was the biggest step. With help and support she has "only" about 30 pairs of shoes now. She only complains about having so few shoes about once a week.
Old 10-01-2014, 13:34   #127

Just remember when it comes time for you to buy more boy/male tools/toys, she will remember this.

Having cloths/shoes is some what related as to how she was brought up, and social expectations. Its sort of like boys/males having so many tools/toys and multi sets of each. Some male say the one with the most toys wins! Some females say the one with most closet/cloths/shoes win.
Old 30-01-2014, 12:21   #128
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I put all my boots (all four pairs) in boxes, and split them between the in laws in cold countries, and took half a dozen pairs of sandal type things. Two pairs fell apart, and I gave the trainers away. I'm now down to one pair of flip flops for general use. One pair of crocs for walking dogs at night. One pair of black strappy sandals for posh restaurants. One pair of riding boots for travelling to colder climes. Four pairs.

And about four pairs of diving booties, and five sets of fins... But hey they're not the same.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 09:20   #129

I am going to retire this July, so my wife and I are starting to go/sort through our closets and storage as we need to start condensing as we want NO dirt storage to tie us down. I tossed 5 pairs of shoes, and another 7 pairs to charity. So if my count is right I am down to 32 pairs of shoes. 13 pairs are winter/fall, and 19 pairs for spring/summer. That is the lowest I been for 30+ years.

We also went though our closest tossed 4 bags and gave 7 garbage bags to charity of coats/jackets, dress/skirts/pants, and blouses/shirts/sweaters. When I retire will tossing work suits/shirts/ties and 5 pairs of ugly flat shoes, so will be down to 26 pairs. However, the good news is now I have room for new spring/summer cloths and shoes.
Old 28-02-2014, 22:06   #130
CGP

I have enough shoes on board to cover my day and a few days more.
CGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 22:28   #131

Boat: Various

Wifey B:

I must confess. Ok, we're currently on a six week cruise. I....ummmm......well.....let's see......

Do flippies and beach shoes count?

Ok, real shoes 9 pairs, counting flippies and beach shoes and bedroom slippers 15 pairs.

Now, my hubby would be fine with one pair but I am his wardrobe director and so he has 5 pairs or real shoes and 4 of the other for a total I guess of 9.

Shoes don't take a lot of room.

Glad we're just talking shoes and not how many outfits or bikinis or anything else.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:00   #132

Boat: Hunter 386

I suddenly had this image of a tall, elegant woman in a slim black dress slipping on her 4 inch heels...

...then manoeuvring up the companionway with ducked head, across the cockpit and stepping down onto the heaving, crappy wooden wharf before making her way up the steep gangplank to make it to the waiting taxi.

I'm gonna bet that an evening out is at least a two-shoe operation... 8-)
Macblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:25   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
I suddenly had this image of a tall, elegant woman in a slim black dress slipping on her 4 inch heels...

...then manoeuvring up the companionway with ducked head, across the cockpit and stepping down onto the heaving, crappy wooden wharf before making her way up the steep gangplank to make it to the waiting taxi.

I'm gonna bet that an evening out is at least a two-shoe operation... 8-)
Wifey B: Evening out in nice restaurant or concert or something fancy definitely requires heels. 4" if it's not a night I'm choosing taller. Slim black dress.....I tend to not do black much. Too dark for me. But most of the time when boating I wear tennies or boaties. Actually when home I wear heels pretty much out anywhere, even shopping. As to tall, well, with heels I'm right at 6'. 5'9" without.

Heels are the one thing I do that I know isn't healthy for me. But I get lots of leg massages when I take them off to keep from having muscle cramps and pulls.

Don't do the two shoe operation much. I'm not one who has to change out of heels halfway. I've worn them so long, so much, have no problem. Plus I do buy comfy ones.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:29   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw58ph View Post
I am going to retire this July, so my wife and I are starting to go/sort through our closets and storage as we need to start condensing as we want NO dirt storage to tie us down. I tossed 5 pairs of shoes, and another 7 pairs to charity. So if my count is right I am down to 32 pairs of shoes. 13 pairs are winter/fall, and 19 pairs for spring/summer. That is the lowest I been for 30+ years.

We also went though our closest tossed 4 bags and gave 7 garbage bags to charity of coats/jackets, dress/skirts/pants, and blouses/shirts/sweaters. When I retire will tossing work suits/shirts/ties and 5 pairs of ugly flat shoes, so will be down to 26 pairs. However, the good news is now I have room for new spring/summer cloths and shoes.
I tossed the item that takes up the least space, I guess. But Ties. I rebelled years ago and stopped wearing them except on very rare occasions, even to the office. I probably had 50 at one time. Now, I'm down to three or four and haven't worn a tie in at least 4 or 5 years for anything with no plans to wear one again. Last time I went to a private club of some sort that required one, I borrowed one from them and just looped it around my neck but didn't tie it.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:32   #135
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Oh boy... The shoe thread rears it's ugly head again...

I haven't posted yet... Usually 5 pr on a trip, 2 being flips/water shoes...

Pic from the closet shows a startling conformity to a particular style...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HappyMdrs shoes .jpg
Views:	149
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	76966  

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote