Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2010, 03:50   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
Our kids completed high school on board Exit Only using curriculum from the University of Nebraska - from which they have their high school diplomas. My son did three years of their courses. When he took his SAT test in Auckland, New Zealand, he got a perfect score on the verbal section of the test, and that earned him a college scholarship. So the academics with the University of Nebraska correspondance course curriculum were more than adequate.

The hardest part was getting the kids to do the work. For the first six months on board, the kids would sit in the salon with the school books in front of them for half a day, but they didn't do anything. No progress happened. At that point, I took over their instruction. I took their syllabus for each course, and we wrote down specific dates of completion for each point in their studies. They had to finish each chapter/project by a specific date, or there would be consequences. Once there was a date attached to each part of the study syllabus, they cruised through each course on schedule.

When it was time to do high school chemistry, they got stuck, but I got them unstuck. I rolled my car in New Zealand and was laid up in the hospital for a couple of months. I used that time to teach them a course that I called, "Chemistry from Hell." We did two complete semesters of high school chemistry in four months. I reviewed the chemistry in the afternoon to refresh my mind, and the next morning they had four hours of Chemistry from Hell. All of us were happy when that course was over.

Our kids did well in their studies as long as they had specific dates for completion of each part of their syllabus. As long as we kept them on schedule and had them take their exams on time, they did fine.

The University of Nebraska high school curriculum is top notch. I can recommend it without reservation. But it's a lot of work for everyone on board, and if a parent doesn't oversee the instruction, the kids will probably flounder in a sea of facts. Kid's can't fake it or do it with smiles, good looks, and personality. The preceptors from the University of Nebraska take their job seriously, and when you send your work in, if it's not good, they let you know. And if you don't pass their tests, you don't get credit.
Big kudos to you. Your kids are extremely lucky, to have such devoted parents.

I bet all that rehashing of the material didn't do your own mind any harm, either. Sounds like an absolutely priceless experience for all involved; very inspiring.
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:20   #32

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Just curious what type of addicts you're seeing, what they're addicted to, and what areas in particular? The only addiction I see around here is a lot of alcoholism.
In the areas that we cruised, I never saw any drug addicts. There was plenty of alcohol being consumed - but probably no worse that here in the USA.

I am working in Phoenix, and drugs and DUI are a huge problem. One of the things I like about cruising is the substantially decreased exposure to drug abuse. Most yachties can't afford any drugs exept alcohol and maybe some marijuana. I don't know many real ocean cruisers who have a problem with drugs and alcohol. They would not survive very long offshore with the impaired judgement associated with drug use.

There may be some destinations that have serious problems with drug abuse, but so far we have not sailed there. There are plenty of places to cruise in the world where drug abuse is not a major problem. I would not sail to a known drug haven.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:47   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
IMHO: Your relationship, with your children, will go a long way towards assuring that they turn out like the vast majority (EVERY one I've met) of GREAT cruising kids.
Gord nailed it in only three posts.

Its the relationship combined with the values and ethics you pass on to your children that will guide their conscience in keeping them out of trouble.

You will never be able to isolate your children from the endless forks in the road where they must choose in making the right or wrong decision. Your job is to make sure they make the right decisions when they do come across these choices.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:26   #34

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Without a large statistical analysis to back me up, I am willing to bet that "illicit activity" is much less frequent in cruising grounds than it is in any mid sized or lager city in which you may live.

While cruising you are normally in much closer proximity to your kids than you are when land based.

Go cruising, the vast majority of kids will be better for the experience and life style.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:32   #35

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Cruising kids are, on the whole, the nicest and best behaved kids you'll meet. They are comfortable on their own and also can inter-act well with adults (ok, cruising adults are all mostly big kids anyway) . There's a lot less "illicit activity" in the cruising community than you'll see anywhere ashore, including isolated rural communities.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:30   #36

Boat: Skookum 53'
Cruising Kids are great, well adjusted, smart, self reliant, good kids. I grew up with cruising kids and they have more on the ball than most beach side adults.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:43   #37

Boat: Morgan,Out Island, 42' -Over The Edge
Re: Illicit Activities - How Much Exposure Is Out There?

As a minor on board, may I say that as many good people as I meet cruising, I meet a lot of bad ones. Drunks, crooks, and lunatics seem to enjoy this lifestyle as much as we do, and regardless of what you're told, peer pressure is not zero. Older cruisers will often try to pressure me into drinking. Since begining cruising I've had the opertunity to drink, smoke, and take prescription pills. Yes, it's a good life, and I've met some wonderful people, but just like anywhere, there are a few bad apples in the bunch. A few weeks ago, I had to hold pressure on a man's ear while he bled on the sidewalk waiting for paramedics to arrive.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:52   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

I'm glad you have the good sense to make the right decisions.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 13:18   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

Living on a boat won't make you better than you are just like the neighborhood you live in on shore. You can find great people in unusual places and know it with true certainty. If it wasn't true why would anyone want to travel any place?
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:26   #40
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

Just an observation. I've seen many liveaboard kids grow up, and not a bad apple in the bunch.
Old 06-03-2011, 19:41   #41

Boat: Sceptre 41

We kept our boat in La Paz Mexico last year. We weren't full time live aboards. We ended up taking a boat load of teenagers with us on a weekend sail. There were my two kids and three others. Well the kids behaved really well. They had fun when it was time to have fun and then when there was work to be done they did that. They laughed a lot swam a lot and told funny jokes that were cleaner then the ones I told at that age.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 00:39   #42
JJB

Boat: Warwick 72 custom

My eldest two are 11 now, so they really are only just starting to get to an age where they might be receptive to anything illicit, but in my own experience as a cruising kid myself, it more tends to be the locals in any ports you visit rather than other cruising kids.
None of it interested me, mainly because of what my parents told me about drugs etc sunk in well, if you have a great relationship with your kids, they will likely listen to you.
JJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:52   #43
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protectivepuppy View Post
Yes, it's a good life, and I've met some wonderful people, but just like anywhere, there are a few bad apples in the bunch.
It sounds to me like you're a good example of why folks should take their kids cruising!!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:27   #44
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Illicit Activities - How Much Exposure Is Out There?

Hi.... thought I'd chuck in my bit.....
as a single sailor who walks the line most of the time I have friends who are Dr's, lawyers and magistrates...
but I also have great friends who are of what may be considered 'a dubious nature' that I've met in harbours arond the world...
I can tell you that in my experience 99% of people treat all kids with consideration and respect... in many countries/societies the child is supreme...
dope smoking and heavy drinking are not conducted in their presence...
language is controlled and their rights are generally protected fiercely...
Like every society (cruisers are a society apart) though there are the 'bad apples' but they tend to stand out from the rest at first sight....
a boat called 'Flucky Muck'... 'JumpmaBones' or similar for example... with a solo sailor
even tho' it was a wharram I never visited in the 2 weeks he shared my anchorage... for me the name was an indicator of the owners personality and I'm a bit 'Victorian' prudish in some ways....
I think your kids are in more danger from drug pushers/glue sniffers etc in their school yard/neighborhood than they'll ever be sailing around with you on your boat...
Remember... your now available 24/7.... not just 3 - 4 hrs a day and w/ends

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:09   #45
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Hi.... thought I'd chuck in my bit.....
as a single sailor who walks the line most of the time I have friends who are Dr's, lawyers and magistrates...
but I also have great friends who are of what may be considered 'a dubious nature' that I've met in harbours arond the world...
I can tell you that in my experience 99% of people treat all kids with consideration and respect... in many countries/societies the child is supreme...
dope smoking and heavy drinking are not conducted in their presence...
language is controlled and their rights are generally protected fiercely...
Like every society (cruisers are a society apart) though there are the 'bad apples' but they tend to stand out from the rest at first sight....
a boat called 'Flucky Muck'... 'JumpmaBones' or similar for example... with a solo sailor
even tho' it was a wharram I never visited in the 2 weeks he shared my anchorage... for me the name was an indicator of the owners personality and I'm a bit 'Victorian' prudish in some ways....
I think your kids are in more danger from drug pushers/glue sniffers etc in their school yard/neighborhood than they'll ever be sailing around with you on your boat...
Remember... your now available 24/7.... not just 3 - 4 hrs a day and w/ends
People on boats (and ashore - including furriners ) are made up of various sides. Even Hitler would have been safe to have around yer kids. probably

Some of the nicest people I have met around the world (and would also have trusted to look after any kids) - have been in those categories which others may label as folk to avoid. Not all of them of course but some.

Kids have to learn to engage with everyone - otherways you create ill-equipped adults (ill-equipped to later deal with and find there own way in the world)..........otherwise they will end up in a bigger cupboard, except this time of their own making..........

Not to say that anyone on CF is inspired by the Fritzls as a model of family life - but sometimes get the impression that some folks think the whole world is a scarey place from which the kids should be shielded 24/7, and not guided through........

.........if the kids can't cope with / deal with what life throws up (with your help and guidance) then it ain't all down to other people...........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote