Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2011, 07:29   #46
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Illicit Activities - How Much Exposure Is Out There?

Quote:
illicit Activities
Just what are they by the way, are we talking about exposing the kids to the odd drunk or what.

dave
Old 04-04-2011, 07:23   #47
cruiser

Boat: Power Cruiser: Free Agent

Difficult locations to cruise to bring good people,, easy locations to cruise to bring bad people.

When in Avalon, Catalina island, our kids are kept away from the local island kids.
No compromise on that.
Seems it's always been that way, even my parents had that policy.

When moored in the Isthmus / Cat Harbor, the kids our children meet are usually outstanding. They are invited on board other families boats as are the kids invited aboard ours for meals and activities.

Never a time we don't know where the kids are, who they are with, and have a reasonable fix on the character of the kids they meet on the beach and mingle with.

I have to meet the moms of their boating friends before my girls can mingle with that family.
We screen everything they do.

Yeah,, I'm the @#%*!!+*%%@!!! in their life.
Free Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:01   #48
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

This is the smartest, most loving, most realistic parenting posting ever! I'll probably quote your first sentence many times in the future. Thank you.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:20   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetGroene View Post
This is the smartest, most loving, most realistic parenting posting ever! I'll probably quote your first sentence many times in the future. Thank you.
Which of the preceding 47?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 17:51   #50

Boat: Lagoon 410

Wow, what a fantastic thread. As soon-to-be-cruisers, this thread has me even more excited to cast off. We are set to leave in September with a 3 and will-be-6yo. I am excited to watch our kids "explode" with their lives around them. We've talked from the moment we took the plunge to have kids that we wanted to have "boat kids." I am worried about the social aspect for them, in terms of kids their ages, but at least they will have each other. It does seem there are some "social networking" sites that are croping up so depending on the effort, one might be able to make more connections.
Rivers2Seas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:25   #51
cruiser

Boat: Power Cruiser: Free Agent

You can get quite a mix of kids your children may meet while cruising.

In port their may be close by camp grounds, hotels, other cruising kids and of course local kids right there ALL just meters away on the beach.

We once had neighbor boat moored a few lines down manned by girls from a local correctional school.
Called reform schools in the Mickey Rooney movies. To finally get placed in a correctional school in Calif a kid has to be really deep into crime, usually violent crime.

The couple that owned the boat were lending a few kind days to the school to give the girls a break from their lock-up routine.
Gee, what could go wrong?

It wasn't going smoothly for the Captain and his wife and they soon enough had enough and cast off for home early.

Purse snatches and other thefts on the beach, drug activity, underage drinking, the local kids may be in the middle of that we have found. Not painting with a broad brush, just stating our experiences.

On the other hand, my girls have met some fantastic people.

An owner of a beach store in Baja two daughters made friends with my girls and they all spoke only spanish and even spent a night at their home. We knew about the owner through relatives and several previous trips and it was a green light all the way.

So we screen everyone they are with, everything they do in port and it's served us well.
Free Agent is offline   Reply With Quote