Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2020, 07:22   #1

Insurance for Newbie

Hi - first post here. We're a family of four who's been dreaming about sailing for many years now. I grew up infrequently sailing small boats and windsurfing, but haven't owned a boat. Several years ago we took the ASA 101, 103, and 104 classes to get educated. As we've planned towards the cruising life, we sold our home and property, started home schooling, and have been nomadic for a couple years, traveling around the US and Europe, living out of short term rentals and our van. In other words, we're sailing newbies, but we're committed.

We're exploring purchasing a boat this year to prep to live aboard and start accruing coastal sailing experience/skills and evaluating the family's enjoyment of life on the water. If the team is in, we'd plan to sabbatical cruise internationally for 2 - 3 years.

So here's our question. As we evaluate boats (we're somewhere between more affordable older bluewater plastic mono (bank account), an aluminum lifting centerboard/keel mono (Dad), or cat (Mom and kids)), I'm trying to research insurance. We're in the popular 40-50 foot range based on minimum 3 cabins and bluewater desires.

My research calls with larger insurers ended with feedback that underwriters will probably not insure a boat this size without prior years of boat ownership. Have any of you been down this path and have advice?

Thanks so much.
sailingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2020, 03:34   #2

Re: Insurance for Newbie

Did your problem got solved?
drace5haizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2020, 05:43   #3

Boat: Jeanneau SO469

I found insurance not to be a problem after providing documentation of formal training, racing on other’s boats, bareboat chartering etc.
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2020, 05:50   #4

Boat: Last boat: 2008 Dix 43 CC, steel, 43 ft
Send a message via Skype™ to Andreas W

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfish View Post
Hi - first post here. We're a family of four who's been dreaming about sailing for many years now. I grew up infrequently sailing small boats and windsurfing, but haven't owned a boat. Several years ago we took the ASA 101, 103, and 104 classes to get educated. As we've planned towards the cruising life, we sold our home and property, started home schooling, and have been nomadic for a couple years, traveling around the US and Europe, living out of short term rentals and our van. In other words, we're sailing newbies, but we're committed.

We're exploring purchasing a boat this year to prep to live aboard and start accruing coastal sailing experience/skills and evaluating the family's enjoyment of life on the water. If the team is in, we'd plan to sabbatical cruise internationally for 2 - 3 years.

So here's our question. As we evaluate boats (we're somewhere between more affordable older bluewater plastic mono (bank account), an aluminum lifting centerboard/keel mono (Dad), or cat (Mom and kids)), I'm trying to research insurance. We're in the popular 40-50 foot range based on minimum 3 cabins and bluewater desires.

My research calls with larger insurers ended with feedback that underwriters will probably not insure a boat this size without prior years of boat ownership. Have any of you been down this path and have advice?

Thanks so much.
Are you an ASA member? They offer a good deal with National Marine Underwriters and Progressive Insurance.

Tags
insurance