Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2013, 11:12   #106

Boat: Islander 33 - 1966 flat top
Re: Interior Decorating Your Sailboat ?

This boat is very similar to ours and a little nicer ... they use red canvas exterior and tan on the settee which is one of the color schemes I'm considering. We don't have the wood floors like they do ... so not sure if the tan would be as awesome on our boat. RIght now we have grey indoor/outdoor carpet on the floor which makes me think of brighter colors or something kitschy ... but no denying the red & tan is classic yet not boring .

http://newimages.yachtworld.com/resi...=1304270641000
NatKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 12:53   #107

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

NatKat... in my mind, it's the accents that need to be changeable (and cheap) so if yours were mine I'd recover the galley dinette with something light and bright (not a solid -- something that would hide the inevitable "oops" that occur when eating. So... the berth behind would have a flashy surfer print with coordinating pillows (throw pillows) for cozy times at the dinette while watching DVDs and such. Pillows on the berth would be more muted, using one or two of the colors in the surfer print.

Plus, for the windows above the dinette I'd sew a rectangle of fabric to pin up when the sun comes around and shines in. Because the berth and curtain would be essentially disposable (I'd use a decent quality cotton from JoAnn's -- think $10 per yard, and two to three yard purchases) ... anyway, because you're not spending a fortune you can redecorate regularly.

The light weight fabrics don't last forever however they do dry quickly when washed and are not bulky. For me, I like being able to redecorate with relative impunity. The old stuff is chopped up for rags and I can get a whole new look inside for less than $20. I like that flexibility.

Have fun too.
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 13:20   #108

You can use cotton, but it as well as all other natural fibres are more prone to mold/mildew than synthetics, and rayon is considered more in the line of natural fibre, although it is actually a synth. That said, you don't have to use "marine" or "outdoor" fabrics, but I would suggest sticking to synthetics. The bird patterned jacquard in my picture above is an upholstery fabric from Hancock Fabrics.

If you really want durability, stick to the brands. Check out "Outdura" brand fabrics. They have some cooler-looking patterns, jacquards mostly IIRC, than Sunbrella's furniture fabric line offers. (shameless plug: Sailmaker's Supply carries both).
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 14:30   #109

Hi Janice,
Great advice to use the "kitschy" elements on accent pillows (we need some). That way I can use cotton ... and if the kitsch gets "old" after a while ... no big deal to re-cover accent pillows. Brilliant. Thank you.

I,m leaning toward solids on the dining settee ... prints hide stains vs. the visual "zen" of solids. Tough choice. I can see kitschy print pillows with solid cushions. Hawaiian floral on the settee would mean solid accent pillows ... but that is still a contender

Hi Tamicatana,
I will use poly outdoor fabric even for the indoor settee. It wears better IMO and sometimes the outdoors comes inside the cabin, anyhow.
The OutDura site has some great prices. Wow. You are happy with the quality?

Thanks ladies! great advice ... keep 'em coming
Old 30-07-2013, 17:25   #110
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
it's the accents that need to be changeable (and cheap)
Absolutely spot on there...and, as SailPenelope said "Simple and tidy is best".

Our Admiral does amazing things with two simple accents...flameless candles and cushions...

Click image for larger version

Name:	candles and cushions (1).jpg
Views:	1008
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	64886

Name:	candles and cushions (2).jpg
Views:	294
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	64887

Name:	on CatNirvana.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	64888

All of these items are ideal for boats, flameless=safe and our Nauti cushions are a hard-wearing fabric with a luxurious feel used in nursing homes, but none are marketed as 'marine', i.e. they're not expensive!

Check them out at...
http://floatingimpressions.com.au/enjoy-flameless-candles-c-28_32_76.html

for flameless candles...or...
Cushions, Floating Impressions

for cushions...or some great value combinations at...
http://floatingimpressions.com.au/cushions-candles-c-28_32_169.html
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 17:42   #111
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatKat View Post
This boat is very similar to ours and a little nicer ... they use red canvas exterior and tan on the settee which is one of the color schemes I'm considering. We don't have the wood floors like they do ... so not sure if the tan would be as awesome on our boat. RIght now we have grey indoor/outdoor carpet on the floor which makes me think of brighter colors or something kitschy ... but no denying the red & tan is classic yet not boring .

http://newimages.yachtworld.com/resi...=1304270641000

Nat I lost my connection with the other post, sorry ...

anyway, I have seen appliance paint but have not used it. I'm wondering if some of the techniques used to spread things like Awlgrip well would work on an appliance? You certainly wouldn't want brush marks. I've never seen it actually used.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 18:05   #112

Boat: Hinterhoeller Nonesuch 30U
Raku, I have the same striped velour on my cushions- near as I can tell, it is about as old as the boat (ie. 25 yrs old)! It's gotta go.

I love where this thread is going. I'm completely in the functional camp, but done tastefully with highest quality materials, no plastic storage containers for me. Loving the leather idea.

I find the lighting to be critical and use actual, real candles and warm LED lights (love the Alpenglow reading lights...dimmable).

I am going to splurge on an actual piece of art, created by an artist to capture the spirit of my boat: Little Wing. That will have a place if honor on my main bulkhead.
Old 30-07-2013, 18:32   #113

Hi Raku,
Out boat has a certain "ugly charm" the 1966 wayfarer is what I call a "flat top" flush deck. Some people find ugly ... others love it. LOTS of room for sunbathing and stowing the surfboard, dinghy etc.

What has this to do with the harvest freakin' gold stove? After having re-done appliances on-land I am pretty sure there is no way to acheive that true "powder coat" finish on amateur hour. Someday either the stove will die and I can replace it ... or we will sell the boat. In the mean time ... I will just find fabric which doesn't clash with it. Really ... the only colors that would look really terrible with it would be solid black, yellow, or orange ... colors I can live without.

Meanwhile ... if anyone spots a deal on a stainless 3-burner stove/oven in So. Cali ... let me know (yeah, I know ... EVERYONE wants that deal)

Also just found the Canvas Projects Group on this site. Loads of great links to fabric suppliers. YUMMY!
Old 30-07-2013, 18:43   #114

@ KacheWalk,
I strive for functional, simple, tasteful on a budget ... but god help me ... I used plastic storage bins for my dishes. We were headed-out for a 5 day trip and it just seemed like the thing to do at the time ... Is there a special place in Decor H*ll for people who succumb to this temptation?
In any case ... what are YOU using to replace the icky stripe velour (sounds about like what I am replacing)

Cheers,
NatKat
Old 30-07-2013, 22:08   #115
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kache Walk View Post
I find the lighting to be critical and use actual, real candles and warm LED lights
We certainly agree that lighting is critical...and agree as well that LED's are terrific...but the captain draws the line at actual, real candles. Open flames are always suspect (and generally forbidden) on vessels; that, plus the smoke/smudge and dripping wax mess turned us toward the flameless ...and now we're hooked. The flickering LED's (in the candles) are so realistic we've even had dinner guests go to blow them out on the table in front of them! Dressing the boat up for special events (Christmas, etc) is more fun too as other boats wonder how we manage to keep our outside candles going in the wind!

Try the flameless...you'll love them...the good ones are made of parafin wax and look beautiful; they're perfect for night-watchkeeping; they come in an amazing array of colours and scents; and they cost less and last longer too!
Old 31-07-2013, 12:51   #116

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

Quote:
Hi O_Q,
God help me the stove is 1970s vintage harvest freakin gold ... but it works too well to replace it w/ modern

cheers,
NatKat
good call - if it works well keep it - Ive got a modern ss stove - maybe 4-5 years old - smev - and the metal under the elements cores has rusted out meaning the element cores wander off every time i get enough wind to heel the bloody boat - and the company that makes them doesnt even bother pretending they support them with spare parts.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 16:04   #117

Hi Charlie,
that really bites ... with the prices of a marine stove one expects it to last. That being said ... mine has no rails ... so I am a fair weather cook. If we ever get further out to sea than the local islands ... I will have to either replace it or retro-fit some rails on there somehow. Even in a calm anchorage ... deep frying felafels is an "adventure at sea" hahaha.

Hi D&D,
Since you are a pro ... any color advice for my settee cushions project? Existing elements are mid-tone honey-blond wood and ivory white paint and the aforementioned harvest freakin gold stove. Turquoise? True Red? Tropical floral?

Cheers everyone,
Natkat
Old 31-07-2013, 21:15   #118

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Hi D&D,
Since you are a pro ... any color advice for my settee cushions project? Existing elements are mid-tone honey-blond wood and ivory white paint and the aforementioned harvest freakin gold stove. Turquoise? True Red? Tropical floral?
Hi Nat
Well, I am no pro , but I will chip in, as you have made a few requests for help.

Putting a few things together:

- Although you don't like your harvest gold stove, you need to work with it as it will be a predominant colour down below.
- Any boat interior is a relatively small space and what will also dominate is the mid blue of sky and sea.
- You love Hawaiian prints (so you must like bright fun interiors).
- Splashy prints in large quantities in a small space will make it look even smaller and you are likely to tire of it quickly.

So, given all that, i would cover the settees in a solid mid blue and add accent cushions in blue/gold/green/red/orange in two fabrics - a Hawaiian print and one with thick stripes of coordinating colour.

The small cushions are easy and inexpensive to recover whenever you want a change (or when your stove is replaced).

Here is a sample blend of colours:
Attached Images

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:54   #119

Boat: Hinterhoeller Nonesuch 30U

NatKat,

You know, when I bought Little Wing over a year ago, I thought getting rid of the cushions would be one of my first projects. That was before I fully understood the full breadth of projects ahead of me as the owner, captain and decorator. The teak on deck needed refreshing, the bottom painted, the dodger, bimini and connector needed replacing, the interior teak oiled, the cutlass bearing replaced, new LED lights installed and on and on. Suddenly, the cushions seemed serviceable...LOL!

I am slowly building my skills to be able to sew the cushion replacements myself. That requires a sewing machine I do not yet own. However, I know that I want a color scheme that is centered around colors found in coastal wetlands: deep midnight blue, straw yellow, various greens, some gray to compliment the teak. I like the idea of replacing the cushions with a light, neutral solid fabric with some texture. There are some sunbrella fabrics that fit the bill.

I didn't mean to sound like a plastic snob. I have melamine dishes from Le Cadeaux that are practical but don't look plastic: Le Cadeaux Dinnerware Melamine: heavy duty melamine dinnerware with French Provencal, Spanish and Italian Deruta patterns.
I do use glass wine glasses, which hang in a teak holder with handmade "bumpers" made from all of those airplane socks I amassed over the years. I may take a look at the LED candles, but I am always at anchor or in the slip when I use candles (duh!) and attentive. I use tealights but have this cool bouillotte (pronounced boo-yacht) candelabra that I use in the cockpit on those beautiful evenings at anchor.
Old 01-08-2013, 20:19   #120
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hi D&D,
We're happy to help any way we can NatKat. "Pro" may be stretching the envelope somewhat, but the Admiral's 'eye' certainly reaps frequent praise for results.

It will, however, help enormously if you could provide good (as in reasonably accurate colour) images of the following:
  • your much loved and very beautiful (!?) stove;
  • your carpet (assuming you intend to keep that carpet?); and
  • a close image of your dining table top as it sounds like there will be colour threads in there that could be picked up where they work with the other colours around.
Could you provide those images? Email us -- Go through the website, linked to our CF signature image -- or post or PM...whatever works easiest for you.

There will be a way!

Tags
interior, paracelle, sailboat