Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 08-02-2009, 16:51   #1

Life Jacket for Ladies

Ok here goes... We are looking for a life jacket for a woman that is well endowed. Has anyone seen or purchased a jacket that is cut for women, that fits like it should?? Big at the top and narrow at the waist? We have been looking for quite some time and havent had any luck finding one. Thanks for the help. Glen & Donna
Hidro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 17:12   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
a good one

the Lotus Lola PFD is designed for women and comes up to XXLarge.
Old 08-02-2009, 19:26   #3

Boat: Catalina 34 - "Points North"
The Admiral qualifies. She uses a Mustang inflatable and loves it. (If you go this way, get the model with the extra neoprene neck padding.) I'm certain that other inflatable models will work as well.
Old 08-02-2009, 19:29   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Inflatables fit just better no matter who you are. Given they are more comfortable you might even wear it all the time.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 20:27   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
A lady friend of mine loves her fishing vest which has flotation.

SOSpenders just aggravated the dickens out of her.

In an emergency she has the top of the line standard, ugly, bulky PFD

She also has the Mustang Jacket for the spring and fall
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:34   #6
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
PFDs designed for whitewater kayaking are much more comfortable to wear than the standard boating type. I still have mine from when I paddled. The designers take into account the wide range of motions that kayakers employ in the sport. Google for "kayaking pfd for women" and see what you can find. Brands like Harmony and Lotus (already mentioned) are worth a look. Naturally, they will be pricier than the standard models.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:20   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
A Review of
Women's PFDs
by Extrasport, Kokatat, Lotus and Stohlquist

Women's PFD

“... All of the PFDs tested were the vest-style Type III "flotation aid." They are all made of closed-cell foam, and designed for water sports.

According to U.S. Coast Guard regulations, the Type III PFDs are meant to provide a stable, face-up position in calm water for a wearer floating with her head tilted back. Our reviewers found that, with the exception of one* of the PFDs tested, when beginning from a neutral, vertical position, the tendency of each PFD was to push the wearer face-down. It took the extra effort of tilting the head back to achieve the face-up position.
Additionally, each of the PFDs we tested was short-waisted, which makes for a better fit for women, who typically have shorter torsos. The reviewers assessed each of the PFDs in nine areas: appearance, construction, ease of entry/exit, fit, adjustability, range of motion, buoyancy, features and visibility.
Since the consumer's only way to assess a PFD in a retail store is to try it on for comfort, we had our reviewers take these PFDs through their paces in the water as well, to provide a better picture of how they would perform in a situation where the wearer is swimming. In addition to testing in the water, each PFD was put through a rigorous workout including extended paddle trips in varying conditions and rolling...”

* Stohlquist's Mobius
Women's PFD Mobius

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 14:34   #8

a woman's opinion

I like the inflatables for normal day to day use. Much more comfortable all around. The extra padding around the neck is nice, but not essential.

Sarah
sfreivald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 16:19   #9

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
They need to make womens lifejackets like they do armor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pitbull_plastic_breasts_side-250x345.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	7039  
Old 10-02-2009, 14:27   #10
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidro View Post
We are looking for a life jacket for a woman that is well endowed.
You need a Fanny Pack!!!!!!!

We just bought 1 to test an they are fantastic!!
We got it in Sydney for less than $100 - and it wasn't on special.
Its a full PFD Type 1 gas inflatable life jacket thats folded into the fanny pack and on a belt that can be waist or slung over the shoulder an worn on the back or chest. They are so easy to slip on!

Plus there is a zippered pouch that is just right for small kit: Torch, Girly Face-Filler, cookies, chocolate etc etc

We have worn it on watch for 600 miles and its passed the test so we will definitly be getting another one so we have one each.

Nicolle wears hers completly differently to me. Its tres versitile

More details http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=144&item=18387&intAbsolute Page=3
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP8998.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	7055  

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:14   #11

fanny pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

We have worn it on watch for 600 miles and its passed the test so we will definitly be getting another one so we have one each.
Hi Mark,

I haven't seen these before!! Do you or Nicolle find that the fanny pack "bulge" encumbers movement at all? Gets in the way when you are trying to sit, etc.? Do you see any cons?

thanks!
Sarah
sfreivald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 14:55   #12
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trikona View Post

I haven't seen these before!! Do you or Nicolle find that the fanny pack "bulge" encumbers movement at all? Gets in the way when you are trying to sit, etc.? Do you see any cons?

Hi Sarah,

We see no cons, thats why we are buying another.
We wear it over or under our safety harness.
Nicolle says she doesn’t find it encumbers movement at all. I think its far better as it less encumbers me. You can slip it into a more comfortable position easily... say if its being worn around the waist at the back and you want to lie down or sit you can just slide it round the front.
I normally wear it over my head and shoulder across my chest or slide it over my back. Nic wears hers around her waist.

In bad weather if I am off watch I may sleep below fully kitted up... it would be good for that too.

The other thing thats interesting is we have both worn it the whole time since buying it... we change it to the other person when they come on watch.

We can chuck it in the bucket in the dinghy and it takes little room.

I can't fault them.

With one each we could personalise ours... be able to clip it to the safety harness if wanted, and fill the zippered pouch full of our own tools and personal items. This makes it more 'necessary' on watch.... so if your MP3 player is always in your life jacket then you always have to wear the life jacket! Its psychology.

For a teenager or someone who doesn't think its cool to wear a lifejacket then its the ants pants

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 05:13   #13

I have the Spinlock deck vest harness thing and it is the best thing since sliced bread for me. When on the boat I wear it all the time and have no trouble with it. It is light and easy to wear and feels comfy. I have had it for two years now and I understand that they have redesigned it form the model i have. Better thigh straps. Am looking forward to using it in the pool when we do a sea survival course at the end of the year. I have done a test fire with it and I like that there is real neck support as it fits snug under the neck has inbuilt wave cover and light. The other one i tried was the crew saver one that you wear like a jacket and has a zip section over the breastbone. I found that the life jacket restricted you looking up at the sails and mast and hence bought the other. The RNLI had a stand at the Southampton boat show where they were letting various life jackets and this spin lock was one they did. It was well worth it.
DW-LJH/A3
The Deckvest is the latest evolution of Spinlock's award winning harness and lifejacket technology
Features and Benefits

New Deckvest model approved to ISO12402-3;the new International standard for lifejackets and ISO12401 for Deck Safety Harnesses
Compact 3D Shape, with front opening belt system for fast and secure fitting every time
Wide range of chest and back adjustment for perfect tailored fit
Soft loop harness attachment point
High Spec Auto Inflating 150N Lifejacket, fitted with sprayhood
UML Pro-Sensor activation head with visible indicator to show activation status
Aquaspec AQ98 high intensity flashing light
Thigh straps
'Manual Only' firing head supplied to order
Available in 3 sizes

£ 169.36
Please Contact Spinlock

Georgiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 08:21   #14

Does anyone have any real world experience deploying a fanny-pack pfd?

I've always wondered how difficult they would be to put on and inflate, once you've been knocked or slipped into the water.

Anyone here ever had to use one, or has anyone here at least given one a real, in water test?

DGC
DavidGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 23:09   #15

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidGC View Post
Does anyone have any real world experience deploying a fanny-pack pfd?

I've always wondered how difficult they would be to put on and inflate, once you've been knocked or slipped into the water.

Anyone here ever had to use one, or has anyone here at least given one a real, in water test?

DGC
I was just going to ask that same question...inquiring minds would like to know.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote