Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2015, 18:17   #1

Boat: dinghies and monohulls small and large
Long haired dogs and warm climates

Long haired, double coat dog and hot climates, please, tell me how do you manage this?

A/C isn't an option at this point and it sounds like most do not have it anyhow. So far I only have a little solar; will be using a portable gennie. Hope to be on at anchor on avg 6 days a week and tucking in for water and battery top off/provision runs (no watermaker, thinking about it though) and probably a marina for Summer. Trying to go now, without having the full list all done and of course on a budget. Mexico is where I want to go.

She is now elderly. We have to lift her up and down the companionway, at least it's an aft cockpit, 3 steps. However, she can get in and out the dinghy via the open transom. I already do a tummy shave and she brushed regularly.

Suggestions please....thanks!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Cherise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 18:21   #2

Re: Long haired dogs and warm climates

https://youtu.be/HxSLbpAwibg
c3po is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 08:06   #3

C3po, thanks for the link. Although, how am I suppose to freeze that gallon jug? I know our freezer cannot make ice but it can keep ice. Further, that's only in dry 85f-90f, Mexico can be 90-100f with a ton of humidity.

Old 23-10-2015, 08:15   #4

You some creativity.

Buy Ice, use an insulated cooler, tarps to shade you deck......
c3po is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 08:21   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Ask a Vet is the best I think, I've had one tell me my old dog wasn't suffering in the heat and that shaving didn't help, but ask a Vet, at least then it's professional advice.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 08:21   #6

Yeah, true. I have been looking for a highly efficient ice maker and forgoing the fridge, using the power on the machine instead. Making homemade ice cream on the hook sounds pretty epic.

Old 23-10-2015, 09:02   #7
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Dogs don't sweat, they have no sweat glands. So actually shaving a dog removes the insulating layer of fur and allows more hot sunlight to hit them and bake them. They cool by panting, and that requires lots of water available. There are also cooling mats, either "blue gel" type that you can chill and then lay out, or other powered options, that they can lay on to find a cool spot. With shade,obvisouly. Cool fresh water baths will help when and as needed.

But by all means talk to the vet, he may say your dog, at that age in that condition, may not be able to take that much heat stress.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 09:48   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

Why not shave it?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 19:32   #9
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

What happens when you remove all the insulation from a surface?
IT OVERHEATS ALL THAT MUCH FASTER.

Good way to kill a dog in a hot sunny location.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 19:45   #10

Oh trust me, I know not to shave anything but the underside and thinning out the legs and backside. Although, trimming down to a 2inch "puppy cut" is fine on such coats. In fact, I have been told by others who rescue my breed that as they age their coats get thicker, so thinning and trimming down is fine and perhaps a benefit.

I tried the cooling coat/jacket but I returned it as it simply was fabric with a few icy pop inserts, I will be looking into a better model or the cooling rug/mat. The latter may be easier on the hook if you can't keep ice but would still be effective with melting ice water.

Oh and btw, yeah asked my vet today, spent $300 bucks on flea meds and another little thing. Wanna know what he said? You should call and groomer and ask them. Yeah, lame huh!

Old 23-10-2015, 20:26   #11
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Before...
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1445656853.809705.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	111494
After

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1445656894.235854.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	111495
Balrog is happier with shorter hair. The main issue is not the heat but the time it takes to dry after swimming. He swims a lot and the long hair can take a long time to dry, so a late afternoon swim with long fur makes him damp all night. Short fur dries before sunset and keeps his skin happy. That said he has picked up a lot of infections in the Caribbean. There's a lot of mangy mutts around the island so this season he's managed to pick up ring worm and a few other tropical infections. The worst thing though is the random poisoning of dogs on islands such as carriacou and Grenada which can make going for a walk with your dog like a game of Russian roulette. The good thing is vet prices are very reasonable. Last weeks visit was just $50 with a bag full of medicines.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 22:09   #12

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

We have owned and bred Samoyeds for years (big, long haired sled dogs). In south Texas.

As noted, dogs don't sweat like we do. Also noted, shaving is NOT recommended. That double coat insulates. Lots of water, cool shaded places. They do fine.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 05:41   #13

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
What happens when you remove all the insulation from a surface?
IT OVERHEATS ALL THAT MUCH FASTER.

Good way to kill a dog in a hot sunny location.
Well, this is when you think about the sun killing the dog and in this respect you are likely right.

Now think of the dog suffering from not being able to dissipate the heat created by its metabolism?

So to say, when we think about the heat trying to leave the body, the less fur the better. (?)

Among tropical animals, only the slooth has long fur, then again I would not expect my dog to spend its days sleeping on a tree.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 08:05   #14

Boat: Outbound 46

We have had Newfoundlands for years. VERY long and dense hair. One year, our groomer misunderstood us, and shaved a very proud male dog. He was embarrassed, we were mortified. Until we realized just how much easier this made both our and Oscar's life. Combing out the hair after swimming was always a pain for both us and the dog. Shaved, no issue. Ever since, we always had our dogs shaved in hot weather. I understand the idea of insulation, but there is also the factor of radiation. Our dogs seemed very comfortable.
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 08:22   #15

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I also had a long haired dog with dense warm fur. Good winter dog. She didn't mind sailing with me too much, and liked the places we went. At anchor (or dock) she would lounge on the cockpit sole, or a shady spot on deck. When sailing, I kept her below for safety.

1) I shaved her all over, like a buzz cut. Left a little to protect her from the sun, thats important. Immediate relief. Plus no more fur all over the boat. Quick dry after swimming.

2) Dedicated "dog fan" below. Dogs sweat through their tongue. I had a 12volt fan mounted next to her "spot", so when she pants, she at least gets a good breeze to help.

3) lots of swimming. In addition to cooling her down, she would drink lots (fresh water lake here) to keep her hydrated.

It was a pleasure to have my dog on my boat. I miss her terribly.

If you look closely, you can see I named my boat after my wife, like you are supposed to.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	swim.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	111521  
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dogs