Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2011, 02:26   #61
JJB

Boat: Warwick 72 custom
Re: Looking for a Single Parent to Join Us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Event_Horizon View Post
Ahhhh...I was counting the single parent + kid(s) as an entire family.
I can see how you would come to that conclusion, however when I said single parent I was thinking 1 parent + 1 child, pretty much everyone that has replied to me has only had one child, I'm yet to get a reply from someone with more than one child.
JJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 03:38   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJB View Post
I can see how you would come to that conclusion, however when I said single parent I was thinking 1 parent + 1 child, pretty much everyone that has replied to me has only had one child, I'm yet to get a reply from someone with more than one child.
There has been some miscommunication somewhere.

Stockholms = Stockholm Syndrome: a term used to describe a paradoxical psychological phenomenon wherein hostages express adulation and have positive feelings towards their captors.

I was suggesting that the next time you have a nice family on your boat, you keep them there till they love you and want to stay...even if that's not how they feel at the start (they'd be family-napped).

There wasn't meant to be any commentary on the number of people you'd bring aboard--as in, family could refer to 1 parent and 1 child, but was not necessarily limited to that.

Though on a sailboat there is enough rope to tie up quite a few...

I leave it to you to decide if I was joking or not
Event_Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 04:20   #63
JJB

Yeah I just realized that shortly after posting that reply lol.
Old 27-03-2011, 11:15   #64

Location: When not afloat: Whistler, BC, Canada & Lymington, UK

Hi

What a story. I am a single mother of 13yr old boy and 10 yr old girl. I sailed since childhood and my kids have boated/sailed (dingies and displacement yachts) pretty much since birth. I don't currently own a boat, but have chartered around the world and done a couple of Atlantic passages on other boats. Both kids are great crew and very capable. My son is ready to take control for bigger/longer missions. My daughter has to fight for her place (like myself and my brother when I was younger!) because my son wants to do everything and would not get a turn unless I intervened.

Not sure I could pull off accompanying you the whole way - much that I would love to (unless you can twist my arm hard enough). I currently live close to Vancouver, BC and all my family are in UK. My brother has a 36' in Lymington (Solent) and I get to spend a lot of time there too.

Will send you a direct message and my email. Perhaps we can get together when you reach Vancouver. Or if there is ever space perhaps we could join you for some of the journey.

Nicola

Life consists, not in holding good cards; but in playing those you do hold well.
OverTheRainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 19:01   #65

Intersted in a 28 year old kiwi couple with 2 boys (3 and 1yo). Please..... I'm surprised this hasn't been taken up. What an opportunity!
wildharvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 07:03   #66

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

well jjb i am the father and single parent of 3 girls 13,15,17 and they spend all the time they can with me (my youngest would sail every day if she could) when not at boarding school and as for talking about girly things its never been a prob mainly because we have openly chats about every thing and one thing for sure they do put me in my place from time to time even to the point when i have started to date some one else they would say yay or nay to that person and so far its been a nay to all as the say the best test is a f7 test if they pass they are in
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:55   #67
JJB

Well it's been quite a while since I last logged in, we're in the Marshall Islands at the moment, we had someone lined up as a result of this thread, but I think she must have got cold feet over the whole situation.
Anyway we picked up a Mother and Daughter while in New Caledonia, so far everything has been fantastic for us, brilliant sailing conditions. The kids have settled into life at sea and their routine quite well.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:14   #68

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

I lived in the Marshall Islands for a couple years in high school. Beautiful there.

Enjoy your trip!
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:37   #69

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Well it's been quite a while since I last logged in, we're in the Marshall Islands at the moment, we had someone lined up as a result of this thread, but I think she must have got cold feet over the whole situation.
Anyway we picked up a Mother and Daughter while in New Caledonia, so far everything has been fantastic for us, brilliant sailing conditions. The kids have settled into life at sea and their routine quite well.
G'Day JJ,

Glad that it finally worked out for you, and thanks for the update.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 05-09-2011, 23:29   #70
JJB

Well we are in Tahiti, and had a blast so far, we are stopping here for a couple of weeks, but we lost our crew has been we vaporized them - must learn to set fazer to stun instead of kill hehe. More seriously they had to fly back to NZ as a result of some family issues, so thought I would just drop a line in here and see if anyone is still interested.

The next couple of legs from this point will all be fairly long there are some islands we still want to explore close by here but there will be a single long slog to Hawaii.
If I don't get any suitable replies here within the next few days, I think I'm just going to pay someone to join us for the duration.
Please don't message me if you are looking for the paid position as I already have a person in mind for this.
Old 22-04-2012, 11:18   #71

Boat: hillyard 12 tonner

Hi JJB
I know this is an old blog but I just wanted to recommend
Workaway.info the site for free work exchange. Gap year volunteer for food and accommodation whilst travelling abroad.
We are on it looking for someone at the moment. But the idea of getting a single mum with another 7 year old to play and do school work with our little one is a great idea.
I don't think we have enough room on our boat though. It would be great to find another cruising family who would join us some of the way around the Med.
Good luck
Manda
itdave5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 16:34   #72

Hello to everyone on the forum,

If any one is reading this post, (I read it three years late.) I am single mother, looking to join a boat for au-pairing/ nannying. I have a three year old boy, and I have be sailing and living on board since he was born. We have sailed form the Mediterranean sea to the Caribbean, where we crossed the Atlantic ocean from Cap Verdes Islands in March 2013 to arrive in La Martinique. I am looking to join famillies or single parents navigating. I am currently located in the Caribbean region. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions. I will be happy to reply.
Berengere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 08:33   #73
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berengere View Post
Hello to everyone on the forum,

If any one is reading this post, (I read it three years late.) I am single mother, looking to join a boat for au-pairing/ nannying. I have a three year old boy, and I have be sailing and living on board since he was born. We have sailed form the Mediterranean sea to the Caribbean, where we crossed the Atlantic ocean from Cap Verdes Islands in March 2013 to arrive in La Martinique. I am looking to join famillies or single parents navigating. I am currently located in the Caribbean region. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions. I will be happy to reply.
Welcome to CF .

A chance that someone will see your post in this thread - but likely better to also start own thread in the crew sub forum.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 15:06   #74

Ok thankyou for directing me, I 'll check it out...
Berengere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 07:12   #75

Quote:
Hi Guys,
Tis my first post here, I was on sailing anarchy, when I found a link to here, I never knew about this site before. I will try and shorten my story as best I can but I do have a tendency to ramble to please bare with me.

My Children have spent most of their lives on my boat, a little over 12 months ago their mother & my wife past away as a result of breast cancer - please I don't need any sympathy wishes regarding this I am sure you can understand, it's been over a year, we have learnt to live with the loss.

I have three children, they are 11 (twin boys) and 9 girl, they have been at me since mid last year to get back at sea, there is still a lot of places in the world I promised them we would go to, but have been stuck in a bit of a rut for the last 6 months.
I have decided to look for perhaps another single parent with one or two kids to join us, I have run this past my kids, they seem to wholeheartedly approve.

I'm not looking for any monetary return, I understand most single parents can't often afford an undertaking such as this even when the boat is supplied, so I would only ask for what the person can afford to contribute, while still covering their own bills at home.
Our boat is a Warwick 72, we have plenty of room on board and plenty of storage space, while it's not a requirement the person knows how to sail, it would very much help if the person that comes with us has done a competent crew certificate, we are happy to teach how to sail, boat handling skills etc.

We are located in Brisbane, Australia, we have tentative plans to depart some point in March into the South Pacific to revisit some of our favourite spots and see some old friends along the way. We then have plans on cruising up to Japan, Hawaii, then eventually onto Vancouver, we plan on staying in Vancouver for about a month - might be more might be less. Once we depart Vancouver we plan on cruising our way down through the US cities and coastline down through Mexico & South America with an extended stay in the Galápagos Islands. Right now that is where our plans stop, but we do have idea's on rounding the horn and taking an extended stop of perhaps three months in Buenos Aires

About my kids: They are very easy going kids, they very much love being at sea, they seem to consider themselves to be very lucky with many of the things they have done and seen. The three of them are very very good sailors, I trust all three of them to take watches, even at night.
They are very compliant when I ask them to do something, or change routine.

One of the boys is deaf, but has a Cochlear implant, but because of sensory issues he doesn't always have it turned on so we communicate with him most of the time in sign. His speech is as good as any other child's you would have a hard time telling he is deaf until you saw his implant.

About myself: I've been sailing since age 4, I've been an RYA Yachtmaster for over 10 years. I'm a qualified Primary and High school level teacher, I make my living out of the Forex market and have done so since 1999. When we are at sea, I have been pretty much my kids sole educator, when they went back to regular school last year they were slotted in a year above their typical age level, as they were well ahead of where they needed to be.

The boat: As I previously stated, the boat is a Warwick 72, that was custom designed for us, it has a full Furuno Navnet outfit with UHD radar, all this is brand new and never been used yet at sea, new rigging and sails, it has 200L of freezer capacity, 20kw genset, 1kw Wind generator, 600W Solar, also has aircon however we don't use that while at sea, since the airflow through the boat while under sail is quite good. We have a tender that is large enough to carry everyone at the same time plus a couple more if needs require.
The food situation, we carry loads of cans and loads of frozen food which we refill anytime we pull into a major port, but obviously the main diet on the boat is fish. The boat also has an Inmarsat sat phone and broadband available. The broadband runs up to 256k but costs a bomb for internet data, hence things like YouTube, Facebook, any streaming media is banned, Email back to family with some small pictures is ok. We send all our emails in one batch even if they are connected to multiple accounts. If I catch anyone using YouTube or Facebook, I'll throw em overboard LOL.

People we are looking for in an ideal situation:
A single mother and daughter would be ideal, just to balance up the sexes on the boat, but this isn't a requirement, an ideal age for the child would be 5 to 15, so quite an open age range, but again this isn't a requirement.
My kids are informal nudists, mainly in hot weather and when they go swimming off the back of the boat, so it is a requirement that this is not an issue with whoever we take.
Ideally I would like someone that I can share education duties for the kids with, I do have a tone of available educational resources, and will pick up more at every port we visit.
Keep an eye on this post as I might add an edit every now and then as I get replies.

To the site mods: I posted this in the kids forum as I am looking for people that are single parents, I understand if you need to split this topic into the crew wanted section, but please could you leave a copy of it here as well due to the nature of this forum.
Hello it s been awhile si ve you posted ... my name is Natacha single mama to a 2.5 year old lil girl. We live in Nayarit Mexico. Will you ever come to Mexico? We would love to get to know you and your family.
Looking to spend more time sailing with my lil one. I have my own coaching and sound healing practice here in punta de mita área at waveelements.com this has been a dream of mine since Mareva was in the womb... we are very easy going and fast learners going to start on a shorter trip and see where it can take us looking forward to hearing from you
Wavelove is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
single