Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2020, 12:52   #1

Boat: Morgan 416, 41ft.
Marriage Saver Headsets

Several people have suggested to me that Walkie-Talkie headsets (marriage savers) for anchoring, docking, mast climbing and such are a must when cruising. I think I like the idea but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on brands/models that have worked well for them.

Do they have any that are just headsets, or do they all have to be connected to a traditional belt-worn radio. If they have to run through a traditional radio, then I'm guessing they're not hands-free which would make them much less attractive. Those of you experienced with this, please enlighten me.

Thanks!
russpatterson5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 13:52   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Marriage Saver Headsets

We have a set, I forget the brand but they are the expensive ones and capable of full duplex communication, meaning they are like a telephone and you can both talk simultaneously, they are not like a traditional radio that only one can be transmitting at a time.
They are voice activated so completely hands free, I believe they are used by football teams.
Pretty sure they are Eartec Simultalk

Having said all of that I’d have to find them, they are on the boat somewhere, we never use them.
They are another one of those things that I thought would be real useful before we actually started cruising.

You pretty quickly learn either through sign language, or we just know what the other is going to do, and we have found that nothing needs to move so fast that we have to have instant commo with each other, then add in the wind noise, the fact that you have to find them and put them on, it’s something else to keep charged, and we just don’t bother.

I guess I ought to sell them
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 14:13   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Found them this is what they look like, if you get a set be sure you get “Full Duplex” so that you can both talk simultaneously just like there was no radio.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E4BF0C85-C4E6-45AC-8123-F8C9B2CFBF89.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	419.1 KB
ID:	221766  
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 14:36   #4

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

When I had tugs, I used duplex sets because really important info can be missed with radios. You're not always in eyesight for signals.

As to marriage savers, I just shut off my hearing aids, but left them in. Worked fine for me.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 15:05   #5

Boat: Nautitech Open 46

We use the sena SPH10
Works perfectly
Regards
Paul
Steel sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 15:21   #6

Boat: Hylas 54

For cheap alternative in cell or web range we use iPhone with bluetooth headphones and just call each other on phone, or facetime or wassap
Hobiehobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 18:29   #7

Boat: Sabre 402

We got a set of walkie-talkies for this same reason. Problem is that you need to hold it to use it, and your hands are busy steering, shifting, powering up and down, maneuvering a boathook or holding a line, so we never used them. Five years later, they're going up to the attic: we manage with hand signals. A set that had headphones & mic might work better.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 18:43   #8

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

I second Steel Sails, the SPH10’s work great. Being able to talk to the helm is invaluable. Hand signals are important to be familiar with, we know them, but don’t use them. It’s so much easier to just talk to each other, especially in the dark.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 12:15   #9

Boat: Antares 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
We have a set, I forget the brand but they are the expensive ones and capable of full duplex communication, meaning they are like a telephone and you can both talk simultaneously, they are not like a traditional radio that only one can be transmitting at a time.
They are voice activated so completely hands free, I believe they are used by football teams.
Pretty sure they are Eartec Simultalk

Having said all of that I’d have to find them, they are on the boat somewhere, we never use them.
They are another one of those things that I thought would be real useful before we actually started cruising.

You pretty quickly learn either through sign language, or we just know what the other is going to do, and we have found that nothing needs to move so fast that we have to have instant commo with each other, then add in the wind noise, the fact that you have to find them and put them on, it’s something else to keep charged, and we just don’t bother.

I guess I ought to sell them
Let me know if you want to sell them! I'm interested. Mark
CaptainMarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2020, 17:22   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel sails View Post
We use the sena SPH10
Works perfectly
Regards
Paul
Hi
Another vote for the Sena SPH10s.
Brilliant - work in all conditions encountered so far and you are just having a chat[emoji5].
We even wear them when having to go forward for reassurance.
We haven't been the "entertainment" since we got them[emoji1360]
Cheers
Tom
Nineteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 19:40   #11
Cruiser

Boat: Island Packet 35

We just use bluetooth ear pieces with our cell phones in our pockets. It works great! No more yelling!
Merriweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 20:30   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by russpatterson5 View Post
Several people have suggested to me that Walkie-Talkie headsets (marriage savers) for anchoring, docking, mast climbing and such are a must when cruising. I think I like the idea but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on brands/models that have worked well for them.

Do they have any that are just headsets, or do they all have to be connected to a traditional belt-worn radio. If they have to run through a traditional radio, then I'm guessing they're not hands-free which would make them much less attractive. Those of you experienced with this, please enlighten me.

Thanks!
I've recently bought this "in development" communicator that is now in production. I've had handheld radios with VOX (voice activated) and often have problem with earpiece falling out, missed info with VOX delay, etc....
This looks to be a huge step forward with outdoor/all weather communications.
Here's an article about it: https://www.theinertia.com/news/this...ever-you-play/

I'm looking forward to when it gets delivered in a couple months.
At Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 04:45   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Found them this is what they look like, if you get a set be sure you get “Full Duplex” so that you can both talk simultaneously just like there was no radio.
Wow, they look great. I'd say better than mine. At first, I also used simple headphones that I connected via Bluetooth. But now I got it the Eartec UltraLite headset ( marriage saver). They’re good for phone conversations and listening to music, in addition to onboard communications. Eartec’s self-contained units are over-the-head style and come in a single headband size. Really, perfect for me.
Sohesu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head