Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2015, 11:07   #1

Boat: Nimble Artic 26
Men building boats and their wives

I went to the Ply-wooden boat show in Port Aransas this weekend.

There were several lovely boats there, but two particular boats impressed me with respect to attention of the husband towards the wife and staying together.

One is a 46' bolger designed troller. Its a beautiful boat inside and out, the builder meant to spend his retirement on her with his wife. It took 10 years to build, cost several hundred or thousand dollars. But his wife complained he was spending too much time with the boat and not with her. So after the divorce and a remarriage he spent a few years sailing the Caribbean with his new lovely wife, but must sell the boat to support the new life with the new wife.

The other is a flat bottom rectangular house boat, the wife says is a blown up puddle duck. Its a house boat 22 feet, runs on two outboards has two rooms, enclosed shower, double bed and a "porch", camp oven etc. It took three months to build, although its not totally finished. The wife and the builder traveled in this year's Texas 200 in the boat. The wife appeared to be happy with the arrangement.

A lot more planning went into the Bolger than the puddle duck based boat, but then again, it appears the second builder may have been paying more attention to the needs of the family.

I wish both builders a happy life going forward and only hope I can find a new larger boat that I can enjoy with my current wife.
Old 19-10-2015, 15:06   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Men building boats and their wives

We built our Westsail in a Cement Boat Yard. After 10 years, only one of the boats had been launched though there had been many that had changed hands mostly because of divorce.

When we were young and foolish, we built the boat while living in our VW Bus parked in front of it. It was our only means of transport and converting from home to vehicle was the stormiest part of the journey. Still, some of happiest times of our now 46 year marriage.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 15:31   #3

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Interesting concept for a boat show, I'll have to look it up. Thanks for sharing about it.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 06:03   #4

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Interesting concept for a boat show, I'll have to look it up. Thanks for sharing about it.
Port Aransas plyWooden Boat Festival

It was fun.

Tags
men