Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2012, 15:12   #16

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Re: Music lessons aboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsonisland View Post
Four hours of practice time a day sounds like heaven! Of course, at 8, I would not have felt that way
How true, but that is where one makes a decision to play for their own entertainment and perhaps others(dilettante), or to dedicate yourself to music and your instrument. Many of the finest players I've known in both classical and jazz music began very early and were quite serious from the beginning. But, music follows many roads and most people are happy to be amused with making sounds and there is certainly merit and therapy in that approach. I would never force a child to play music but would seriously direct those who showed an interest and a talent. Good teachers are available even to children of cruisers with a little time and effort by the parents. The bottom line: everyone is capable of making sounds, few will learn to play music. Anyone for scrabble?
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 15:14   #17

Boat: 1939 Crocker 37
Around here there is a pretty strong folk tradition, and most of the kids I know study folk songs rather than classical music, but I think all the teachers have classical training. I wonder if my son would like classical instruction at this point; I guess we should talk about it.
thompsonisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 15:33   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Did Doug Kershaw take lessons?

Is this the Doug Kershaw you are referring to?
Doug Kershaw - Louisiana man [Johnny Cash Show] - YouTube
Old 21-08-2012, 15:57   #19

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

'Classically rained players".....sounds like a outdoor concert, I should take longer lunches and proof read. Another suggestion for those serious is to take your technique and visit a sports medicine therapist to have them evaluate what you are doing. They can help you find anything in your approach that might lead to repetitive motion damage, carpal tunnel etc.....Music is language and expanding your vocabulary lets you communicate more complex things. As the jazz guys say, "The more you know the better you blow" add in the wisdom of when to hold a single note and your horizons will expand, always good for a sailor.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 16:26   #20
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Is this the Doug Kershaw you are referring to?
Doug Kershaw - Louisiana man [Johnny Cash Show] - YouTube

No, of course not. I was asking about one of the other Doug Kershaws.
This one, for example in which a fiddle is played.

Old 21-08-2012, 16:57   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul

That is some BAD ASS stuff right there!
Old 21-08-2012, 17:00   #22

Quote:

Canibul,
Which outfit makes the music sound better? The one with the white lace ruff around his neck in "Louisiana Man" or the other with the white fringe on his shoulders and arms in "Diggy Diggy Lo?" My vote is for the lace ruff. Thanks for the video.
Old 21-08-2012, 18:11   #23

Totally the ruff.
Old 21-08-2012, 18:45   #24
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Did Doug Kershaw take lessons?

Are we all as talented as Doug Kershaw?
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 07:24   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Are we all as talented as Doug Kershaw?
I believe David Hume, Scottish philospher, historian and economist answers your question best when he says in "Moral History," 1742:

"Beauty in things exist merely in the mind which contemplates them."
Old 22-08-2012, 07:40   #26
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

It was a serious question. I took up the fiddle at 58. It was a gift. I don't have time to take lessons or practice four hours a day. Do people like Kershaw and Charlie Daniels just pick this stuff up naturally, or do they spend hours being coached in just where the heel of the hand is held, just where the feet are placed, etc.?

I played woodwinds way back in Jr. High, and could go from sax to oboe to bassoon to clarinet no problem. Of course once I turned into a 17 year old in the 60's it was guitar all the way. Now I am having fun with this fiddle. I am thinking of picking up one of the Yamaha silent violins to take with me when I travel. Just curious about whether everyone needs lessons.

Have you seen the videos of Kershaw jamming with Leon Russell and Willie Nelson? Russell, at least, was drunk. Looked like fun.
Old 22-08-2012, 08:23   #27

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

Once you've learned an instrument and earned how to learn lessons are less necessary when picking up something new because you already know about music.. Lessons can help you get started in the right direction for holding, bowing techniques etc....there are many variables in playing a violin. For me playing winds I'd get some pointers for sure.I took classical lessons and learned to play by ear both when I was a child which really helped. My first instrument was piano which really laid the groundwork, after that instruments have been added in the self taught way. I can play most things with strings because the physical skills are similar.
As to the Doug Kershaw question I have to admit I haven't heard him play but will check out the videos. I would hope we are all talented differently than Doug, some music can be judged like a sports contest but a better goal is learning how to express yourself. Some people are naturals that are born to play, others have to work in a different way to achieve proficiency. The key word though is play, we don't work our instruments.
I play mainly electric 5 strings so the Yamaha question makes sense. You can be quiet while practicing and it will stay in tune better with the temperature and humidity changes.The disadvantage is having to take a amp for jams. On board you can go the headphone route or patch into a stereo with a little effort. I've used Crate Limo amps, they can charge off an inverter or solar panel and are versatile but a little fragile. I've had to work on mine as the construction quality of the boards isn't high.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 08:26   #28

Canibul, being a Sixties guy you know that everyone played the guitar and everyone had a garage band. You learned three chords and became a star. Serious musicians during that time period called these people "guitar bangers" and that is exactly how they played. There are many levels to playing "music" but one cannot attain anything other than mediocrity without serious study. And, mediocrity is certainly fine if you are satisfied with your music/sound. Millions of people worldwide play music badly and it has great emotional and therapeutic value. It doesn't matter if people think you play well or not if you enjoy what you're doing. However, if you want to be a competent player/musisian, you cannot learn from books, videos or skype. You need a qualified teacher who will teach you proper technique and musicality. And for those who pursue that avenue, there is no guarantee of greatness, only basic competence. I belong to the school that says musicians are born with natural talent and made after 4 hours a day for twenty years in a practice room. I've never met musical "geniuses" who pick up an instrument and become great overnight unless of course you're Davey Jones and the Monkees. Good luck and good sailing. Find a teacher and start playing.
Old 22-08-2012, 08:58   #29

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Just come on down to New Orleans, and cruise from there !! Lots and lots of fine music teachers in All types of insterments and styles !! Most of the best street players are soildly trained and love to help train kids !! mostly very cheaply LOL Theres a couple of good marinas, and a bunch of private docks and so on !! Just sayin go where the music is and go from there !!
Old 22-08-2012, 09:45   #30

I wish I could cruise to Asheville and Nashville! I'm going to the Outer Banks this winter, guess I'll have to drive from there

Tags
music