Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2012, 10:01   #31

Boat: Valiant 42
Send a message via AIM to svpattyd Send a message via Yahoo to svpattyd Send a message via Skype™ to svpattyd
Jeckell Island has some great musicians. Went to high school with Eddie Pickett. He would be glad to jam with you. They had jam sessions at the marina bar most Fridays.
svpattyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 10:12   #32
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Re: Music Lessons Aboard ?

I guess there are all types of musical tastes that can be addressed with one of these things. One man's violin is another man's fiddle.

This is the type of stuff I tend to find myself trying to play, with a backing track in the headphones.

I think it would work well with a Yamaha SV 130. I keep hoping to stumble across a deal on one. I do sometimes call pawn shops etc. when I'm in the US.
Old 22-08-2012, 10:55   #33

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Thompsen and Canibul, try a dose of Ian Cooper . . . the real deal.
Ian Cooper James Morrison Hot Jazz Violin Fiddle - YouTube
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 17:26   #34

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

We're kind of drifting away from music lessons for children here.....couple of quick notes.....for the electric angle you need to have you're playing together before you add the effects. Remember they are effects to use them effectively.....the jazz is very traditional, I've heard many players learn the vocabulary out of a certain time period and not add anything new to what they are saying. Many music styles are like this when people perform period music from classical to bluegrass to swing so think about bringing the traditions into your own time instead of just replicating them.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 17:35   #35

Boat: 1939 Crocker 37
One of the things that my teacher talks about is that music is a language and you are developing vocabulary and learning idioms- the idioms are hugely important. It is the same as the difference between speaking extemporaneously and reading from a text (memorized or no). Until you know the language intuitively, you cannot conjure the groove.
thompsonisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 17:58   #36

And some people repeat only what they've heard and don't say anything new.....It is sort of the line where a art form becomes static instead of alive and growing. Music does have many languages,learning more lets you cross pollinate or create fusion, afro- celt for example.
Old 25-08-2012, 10:49   #37

Boat: Pearson 34-II

To keep this related to the topic at hand, if you have children who want to study music aboard this is a must watch. Hope you enjoy.
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 10:46   #38

That is a good example of integrating the classical approach with the improvised. Stephane Grappelli did this with a number of classical musicians including other violinists. Julian has memorized his part including the solo which sounds like some transcribed Django. Stephane plays the meody fairly straight at first then starts to improvise variations on the theme. There are some pauses in the timing while Julian waits for some cadenzas that a improvising accompianist would probably work through but it shows what can be done combining musicians from different schools. Stephane seems more relaxed, I think this kind of ground makes classical artists sweat a bit because they aren't sure what the other artist will do. It is a nice combination from masters of their craft.

Tags
music