Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2008, 19:55   #31

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow View Post
That's what a lot of my Naval friends did while in service. They would put all of their dirty laundry in a mesh bag and let it trail the boat for a while. Then when pulled back in, their suits were whiter then white. Never tried it myself but heard the same story from different sailors.
I assume you are talking about friends who served before 1975 the year I joined the Navy. I never saw anyone drag their clothes behind the boat while I was in except in the McHales Navy reruns.

I swam from the beach to the ship several times in my Whites and Blues as a young sailor and I can tell you the uniforms were never the same again.

Of course that could have been because I had already thrown up on myself or because I was swimming in harbors like Barcelona and Naples vice the crystal clear waters of the Med.
SilentOption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2008, 20:00   #32

On subject here. I bought a motion alarm from West Marine recently that runs on a 9v battery.
I haven't put it to use yet though I am thinking about placing it in the foyer at home the next time my boys tell me they will be home early.

It should be a little hard to slink down the hall to bed with a few hundred decibels going off.
Old 25-10-2008, 20:34   #33

Boat: s/v Dharma and s/v This End Up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentOption View Post
On subject here. I bought a motion alarm from West Marine recently that runs on a 9v battery.
Just please make sure it's not on when you leave the boat as I have had the pleasure of sitting in a marina with an alarm going off in a empty boat and they sound even worse as they are running out of battery! Should work for the Kids though
NautiHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2008, 20:50   #34

That could be a good new thread.
We could make a list of annoying SH** left on while the owners are off playing or whatever.

Marine Band Radio left on breaking squelch over the loudspeaker.
406 EPIRB activated and strobe going off all night.
Man Overboard Strobe going off all night.

No kidding Boat came in during the day and took the ball right off our stern. As the sun went down it became more than obvious his spot light was on and shining right into our cockpit. They had departed by dinghy not to return until the wee hours of the morning.

Piercing High water alarm intermittently going off in St T harbor.

We investigate but can't get access without breaking in and nobody is home. The boat doesn't appear to be in peril. Waterline is normal and no bilge pump is activated.

Next day the owner, who spent the night in a hotel explains casually that the HW switch was installed too low in the bilge he just hadn't got around to moving it. Knuckles, my engineer explains that he can remove it and shove it up his a** if that will help get him motivated.

On a happy note..... The guy left a case of Bud on deck with a note when he departed.

The worst....barking dog. Owners gone for the night.

Left out,

Boat traveling ICW at night with 500 jigawatt spot lighting the way. We are head to head and the spot stays on and no answer on 16.
Would have been a good drill for a sniper.

Tags
Guns