Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2024, 16:08   #1

New Pet Import rules from CDC

I'd like to take my dog from Puget Sound up to Desolation Sound in Canada over the summer months. My problem is the CDC has new import requirements going into affect August 1st. Has anyone figured out the import requirements and how to obtain the necessary paperwork to take their dog cruising? Note I'm going into Canada around the first part of July and will be returning the first part of August. What paperwork do I need and where and when can I get it?
TrailerCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2024, 17:08   #2

Re: New Pet Import rules from CDC

Reference:

https://www.cdc.gov/importation/brin...-august-1.html

https://inspection.canada.ca/en/impo...s-animals/pets
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2024, 16:21   #3

Boat: Contrast 33

I am in the same situation. I contacted my regular vet and they said they don't do the USDA form that the CDC requires. They gave me the name of a vet in the Seattle area who does (Urban Animal), and I was quoted $750! The reason they gave was the amount of testing required by the USDA. This may prevent me and many others from sailing into Canadian waters any more.
Peel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2024, 16:28   #4

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peel View Post
I am in the same situation. I contacted my regular vet and they said they don't do the USDA form that the CDC requires. They gave me the name of a vet in the Seattle area who does (Urban Animal), and I was quoted $750! The reason they gave was the amount of testing required by the USDA. This may prevent me and many others from sailing into Canadian waters any more.
That's about what we paid in 2013 with vet visits - multiple needed - and USDA visit. We then were late on our cat's rabies update and had to do it again in 2017
Old 26-06-2024, 21:57   #5

Boat: 1991 Caliber 33

Wow. I hadn't heard of this and have plans to sail from WA State into British Columbia several times this year. Since my wife insists I take the dog with me sailing, I now have an excuse why I can't. "Sorry dear, I can't take the dog, because if I do, he may not be allowed back home." All kidding aside, scanning through the CDC link, since Canada is not a high risk country for rabies, this doesn't seem like a big issue, unless our dog's rabies shot doesn't qualify per the CDC rules.

D2
DoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2024, 08:54   #6

Boat: Contrast 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post
scanning through the CDC link, since Canada is not a high risk country for rabies, this doesn't seem like a big issue, unless our dog's rabies shot doesn't qualify per the CDC rules.D2
The new system is similar to the old one for going into Canada where Canada required proof of rabies vaccination to enter. The difference here is that all Canada required was a signed letter by your vet with the vaccine documentation. The CDC version requires this documentation to be certified by the USDA. The difficult part is finding a vet that can handle the USDA documents. And if it's not your regular vet, they may have to give your dog a new dose of rabies vaccine (not entirely sure on this part, and it may depend on the vets involved).
Peel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
import, rule