Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2019, 23:45   #16

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Non-Sailor Looking For Advice!!

When I was a commercial fisherman, there were several families on sailing fishing boats. Most had 1 or 2 kids. They were home schooled and better than most kids I see coming out of public schools.
Space is going to be a real issue with 9 kids. Everyone need some place to be alone. You're going to need a big boat. Clothes for 11 people could fill a 30' sailboat. Then there's entertainment, toys, books, food, spare parts, extra sails. You need a lumber schooner. Look for a boat setup for a big crew.
I'm a vet and broke/cracked/compressed my back 3 times. You either learn to deal with it or use it as an excuse to do nothing. Living on the ocean will make it worse. A sailboat will probably be worse than a power boat. I'm 70+ and spent much of my life on the water. When I left the military, I didn't want my disabilities to control what I wanted to do. I don't use prescription pain killers. Exercise and weight loss will be a major help to your back. If you want, pm me.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 00:11   #17
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Easy up Kenomac, I thought the original post was a joke but Jensen keeps replying so he must be half serious. He has got few issues, but I imagine he might get a military pension so that will pay for some of his dream.......
As for the rest well we all have to start somewhere and Jensen I suggest you research the cost of insurance and berthing a 55-65 foot cat. While you are at it google the cost of slipping and anti fouling a beast that size.
A monohull is by far the more affordable option. With a family that size you should keep an eye out for an old training vessel with plenty of bunks.
Check this family of 12 out, it looks like my version of hell but they are all smiling.
https://thelargefamilyaroundtheworldadventure.com/
Kids4sail on facey is another good resource.
Cheers
I was also initially thinking this was a late April Fools post, but come to think of it, we do seem to get at least one of these sell up and move onto a boat with no experience posts per week.... so now I’m thinking it might possibly be real.

It’s probably a good time for me to check out of the discussion and allow the experts to offer up a more cuddly, PC solution to the OP’s concerns... only positive thoughts allowed it seems these days.

I wish him luck in his endeavers and recovery from health issues.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 03:43   #18

Boat: Volkscruiser

Kenomac I was meaning I am not sure discussing Causes of Jensen’s weight issue is very constructive. Good on him for being so honest.
You are right this idea is crazy but what the heck we all have a dream.
I think Jensen should dive straight in. I found the yacht for his family it sleeps 18 and seats 20. So let’s see him set up a YouTube channel and we can all sit back and watch.......
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...dard%20listing
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 05:08   #19
Marine Service Provider

I have 2 pins and 6 screws holding my back together ar I recently discovered an eliptical and love it. do this for 20 minutes a day for two weeks and you will notice a difference. you just have to get through those two weeks.
wtmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 05:11   #20

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

A number of our top local sailors are quite a bit overweight. Granted, their experience makes up for mobility. Being in shape is a great benefit, but not necessary. You should be able to get yourself up the ladder into the boat.

Don't think for a second that living on a boat for any period is stress free. Quite the opposite. There are numerous conditions, situations, and events that will cause quite a stress, particularly for those without the experience to handle them. For every gorgeous sunset there are two horrifying storms.

Take your ASA courses, then charter as a family. See how that works before diving into a boat.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:26   #21

Boat: Antares 44i

Jensen -
I think your plan sounds just right. Every step is good for you, your life and your family. Each step is required to find out if this is the life for you. You can bail after each step if you decide it doesn't work for you.

If - after you have gotten in shape, taken lessons, chartered a few times, crewed - you and your family are still excited about the possibilities, then go for it.

Other than having different background, some medical and family dynamics, your path sounds pretty much like that of most of us who live this life - including looking at boats and boat shows as we are dreaming our way to reality.

You will hear lots of naysayers (many of whom never actually took the full-time plunge you are contemplating, BTW). Don't let them discourage you. Dream big, take it step by step, and keep in lockstep with your wife about what you do next. One of the big advantages you have is a wife who is as excited about the life as you are. In the Med we see lots of guys who are still sailing after their wives got tired of the life. Lots of sadness, loneliness, brokenness. My only advice is tend to your family and marriage as you go step by step. The cruising life is great, but not worth damaging that.

And thank you for your service to the country.
AZUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:26   #22

Boat: Beneteau

Start with a little sailing right now. I'm thinking you're not the first vet with PTSD to use the benefits of sailing to help with the condition. In fact I think there is a couple with a YouTube channel sailing the world right now.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:28   #23

Boat: Hunter 46

I think your steps are good. I would add "charter as often as you can" until you find the boat that will fit your needs.

Check out this family of 13 living and sailing on a 43' Roberts Mauritius monohull sailboat:

https://www.thewaywardhome.com/sailing-adventure/
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:29   #24

Boat: GibSea 352

My pennies worth - one week charter isn't enough to judge whether you like or hate it. You might easily go a few weeks before being in a situation that terrifies you (or any member of your family).
DavidMRea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:30   #25

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Jensen,

I'm a former Army guy. Assuming you do the things you mention, your timeframe could make sense. That said, even if two kids move out before you get the boat, 7 kids plus two adults is a lot on a 40 foot boat. 2 adults plus three kids is much more doable. Some thoughts / questions:

Are you handy? You'll need to be. Electrical and engine knowledge in particular.

You'll need a year of doing small trips to work up to bigger things like the Bahamas.

Look long and hard before buying a boat, and get lots of expert advice.

Do a lot of crewing before you make a decision on a boat. Listen to other people tell you about mistakes they made.

Be aware that salt water eats things. It shortens the life of everything from electronics to engines to fabrics, as does sun / UV. Maintenance on a daily basis is a must.

In my case, I bought a fairly ready-to-go 36' monohull in 2015, and went to the Bahamas in 2017, but I had lots of prior sailing experience. I'm going again in a month, but to date, I've replaced chart plotter, AIS, autopilot controller, V-drive, bilge pump, and house bank batteries. I've re-built the water pump">raw water pump, diesel injector pump, injectors, and autopilot ram mount. A boat is not even remotely like a car in terms of reliability. So be aware.

Best of luck!
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:42   #26

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

I admire your ambition to sail away. With the number of children involved, and logistics of fitting everything on board a boat, and being able to pay the costs of acquisition, maintenance and education while on board a boat -- it is going to be extremely difficult.

I'd buy a small farm somewhere rural and inexpensive. Plenty of room and freedom, exercise, and plenty of helpers. Public education, and more opportunities for the kids.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:43   #27

Boat: Freedom 32

What you need to do first is collectively get your medical and mental health team together for a conference. Tell them the story you started this thread with. Get their advice before getting sailor advice.
gulfcoastsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:43   #28

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

Get a trailer sailboat, take it out to play and learn on. After you and your wife learn on it take one kid at a time teaching them.
You can get a older Macgregor 25 or 26 classic for under $5000 and go sailing now to see if you like it.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:45   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose
Cool Re: Non-Sailor Looking For Advice!!

[QUOTE=Enough though… what advice do you have for non-sailors looking to learn? Do these steps and timeframes seem reasonable? What have we overlooked? What are we too ignorant about to even question? Fill us in and help us out! Thanks!![/QUOTE]

Besides sail training, there's a lot to be learned from reading books. There a books that detail at sea disasters as well as successful cruises. I enjoy reading about the disaster side and have picked up many tips that I have implemented into my stay-afloat program.

Knowing the possible pitfalls from ocean crossing, helps me prepare to avoid or deal with them if or when they happen.

One does need to be fairly fit and healthy to go to sea, there ain't no doctors once you're out there. A comprehensive medical kit is very important. I sail with other seniors and have added Foley catheters to my medical kit, if you don't know what a Foley catheter is, good for you...

Finally, not wanting to rain on your parade, but I always tell new sailors with families, first, take the wife sailing and see if she get seasick or anxious, if the admiral passes that test, then take the kids. Nothing will ruin a family's cruise more than one of the family being paralyzed by mal de mer...
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:46   #30

In order to provide you with some relevant and practical information I suggest you provide some additional information:
1) Where are you currently located and have you considered moving to a more sailing friendly lifestyle location?
2) For the older dependents, taking into consideration their level of enthusiasm, would they be off at school or living with friends or relatives ashore?
3) What is your mechanical ability?
4) How important are the looks of the boat? Large boats are expensive to buy, maintain and wide catamaran slips are expensive.
5) What is your budget including food, educational material, maintenance (parts, haul out, bottom job etc.), fuel, (engine & cooking), entertainment (books, internet & ashore), ...
6) Are the children responsible and reliable self starters that take the initiative to learn and help?

For a start plan on a family outing day charter when the sea will be rough and see if they are still enthused or start to have reservations.

After these I, and probably several others, would be glad to talk with you.
lvictorlucas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail